Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Foliage / Ornamentals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Flower Garden

Now isn't that something...that the birds like the berries in your area, Mz Rat. I live beside two parks but the birds never ever did bother any of my berries. Interesting.

Oh yes, I would love to see pictures of whatever you have to show. Thanks so much for this.

I've never actually made any jam with my berries so I'm not too sure about an exact recipe but this link may help....

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...2413138.html?3
Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Sprout

When I was there last week, I watched 5 robins on her driveway bushes and doves on the ones in her yard. Her yard is a jungle right now! First time I saw her yard it was beautifully landscaped with local plants and a few others. Between my father-in-law's death and her health the last three years, the yard has gone wild!

Thank you for the link for jam.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Flower Garden

You're very welcome for the jam link, Mz Rat, and thank you for posting about how the birds in your area are enjoying the Beautyberry shrubs.

I find this most interesting because I've never seen a bird on, or near, either one of my shrubs and neither has my mom! Wow, that really is neat!

Do the birds actually strip the shrubs bare?!

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law's passing, and your poor mother-in-law's delicate health.

Another thing I can add about this shrub for people who might not know...

is that it enjoys an east side of the house. South can be a bit hot although they can still survive. I think morning sun and afternoon shade are a safe bet to ensure the success of your new shrubs.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Sprout

No, they don't strip the bushes. These bushes are way taller than the 6' fence they are next to. The branches are so heavy with berries, they almost drag the ground! Will see if my sister-in-law can send a picture of them as I won't be able to till the first weekend in October. I don't have computer access when I am down there.
My MIL is doing great now. We are in the process of moving her to a smaller house after 43 years in this house! My SIL will be moving into the old house to do repairs and find the yard before the house goes on the market.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Flower Garden

Oh that's good they don't strip the bushes bare, Mz Rat.

They sound like wild shrubs that are left to do their thing. Bet they are still stunning even if they're a little wild and unruly. The berry display must be amazing.

Oh yes, don't worry about when you can post some pictures here. No pressure....just whenever it's convenient.

Glad to hear that your mother-in-law is doing well and the family will be there for her. Good news.

I should mention that my little Amythest Beautyberry seedling is growing under fluorescent lighting right now.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Sprout

If you can make jelly/jam from these with the elderberry recipe, wonder if you can do wine also? May have to give it a shot!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Flower Garden

Oooouuuuu, I never thought of wine! What a fabulous idea, Mz Rat!

Let us know if you do end up making it and how it tastes. I can imagine the color would be striking & gorgeous.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Sprout

Will do. I talked to the resident wine maker and he will give it a go if I bring him the berries. Looks like I will be doing a lot of picking when I go to Houston!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Flower Garden

Omg this is going to be so amazing, Mz Rat! I can't wait to find out about it and possibly see some illustrations!

Good luck with picking the little purple berries. I always left my berries intact, for ornamental purposes, so I have no idea how easy they are to pick. I just cut off a branch when I collected my seeds and once the berries dried, I shook them into a paper bag.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Sprout

MIL's bushes need a trim anyway! Although they are not hard to shuck off with your hand.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Tree

I think this is so exciting.....wine!!! If this works then I'm gonna have to have hubby's grandma tutor me with her wine making skills so someday I can make beautyberry wine too!!! so cool mz. Rat!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Sprout

Will let you all know how it turns out! Couldn't be any worse than the dandelion we tried to make. Came out of the bottle in globs and strings! Texas dandelions are different from New York dandelions!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Flower Garden

Very excited about the wine. What a terrific idea.

It's amazing too how the little seedlings begin to develop their branches super quickly. Here's an illustration to show a young developing branch already....

Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Sprout

Wow! Those are growing fast!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks, Ms Rat!

Yes....they sure do grow very quickly. I was thinking of thinning the little ones growing around the larger one, because I can take cuttings to make more shrubs later. I guess I better get at it.

On second thought though...maybe I'll set them aside for a bit, just in case someone wants one in a trade.

I'm gonna start feeding it shortly. It's under fluorescent lighting but just wait until it meets my HID light! It's will explode with growth all winter long.

I'm especially interested to see how the flowers will react indoors. Wouldn't it be shocking if they turned out to be self-pollinating!!!

I guess we'll be finding out soon enough. I intend on keeping a shrub for myself, even though I'm initially growing these as gifts for other people.

I'm very interested to make some of the jam and the wine this time around. Even though I love these shrubs for their ornamental beauty, trying something new and eating them in different forms, would be fun.

-->