Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Foliage / Ornamentals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upGrowing Amythest Beautyberry (Callicarpa Dichotoma)

Is anyone else growing this beautiful ornamental and edible perennial shrub?

Or perhaps you are interested in growing it, or learning more.

I would like to show ongoing shots over the years, of my shrubs....whether they're seedlings, cuttings, or full-size shrubs, whatever the case may be. And also discuss growing methods and practices here too.

Here tonight are some of my Amythest Beautyberry seedlings I'm starting for a couple friends. I'll likely grow them all winter and then give them as gifts in the spring.

This shrub is incredibly easy to grow....either from seeds or cuttings. The berries can be used to make jam or they may be left on the shrubs for ornamental value.

This was one of my two shrubs, a few summers back...

Here were some of my berries a couple Autumns ago after the leaves had fallen off...

The berries will stay on the plant all winter long and even into spring.

Please feel free to post pictures or talk about your growing shrubs here as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Flower Garden

yes they are very good and i am working on getting some seed for these to start some and show them
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Tree

Send a message via Yahoo to LetItGrow
I love the color of the berries
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Flower Garden

Yes, the color is magnificent, Lig! Apparently the jam turns out a gorgeous amythest color too!

If you do grow this shrub, Raccoon & Lig...don't be afraid to prune it. It will love you for it and the growth will be thicker and denser as a result.

The seeds are easy to germinate and usually come up within 2 weeks.

Cuttings will root super easily as well, in either water or soil. Even an amateur gardener could root the cuttings.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you Hollyberry but i do not know where to find any cuttings so am working on finding some seed
Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Flower Garden

My little beautyberry is on her way now...

Those are other seedlings coming up around the main one.... I'll likely just thin, shortly.

I originally ordered my two shrubs from Prince Edward Island as a gift for my mother. She had them both in her gardens for many years but when she moved, I transplanted them both here with me...where they lived for many happy years.

And for the record...they never did die on me....they we're stolen.

But please don't feel bad at all because these seedlings were germinated from the seeds of my original shrubs!

Pretty excited to watch it grow over winter. I'll illustrate how to prune them and keep them in full control.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Tree

If i sow these during the winter should they be pretty good sized come spring planting?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Flower Garden

A fair size, yes Nerd, if you can give them some good light.

By the way....

I just got back from mailing your seeds!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Tree

I can't wait! I'll grow them in the tropical oasis to have them ready for spring! Thanks HBL!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Flower Garden

Oh gosh you're so welcome, Nerd!

I am thinking of just growing one shrub instead of many....and taking cuttings to make more shrubs for my girlfriends in spring. I've done it before so why the heck not.

Then I can focus on just pampering & spoiling one shrub for awhile.

Nerd, you're going to absolutely adore this amazingly awesome perennial. I wanted to share it with you because you've been so kind and generous with me as well. I think your home will be gorgeous with these striking bushes coming up every year on your grounds.

I will tell you how to care for them from season to season, so they will thrive and keep coming back bigger and better, with each passing year.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Tree

I look forward to learning along the way for sure!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Flower Garden

PostMore Information

The berries do not change color over winter or turn brown. They keep their incredibly vibrant amythest purple color right into the beginnings of springtime!

All you need to do each spring is cut off all the old wood from the previous season's growth...so you'll need a good pair of pruners. You cut the old wood right to the ground because new shoots are going to come up from the soil and grow into a whole new shrub for you.

It's the softwood cuttings that root best....in water or in soil.

I say the seeds will germinate within 2 weeks but don't be alarmed if they take three weeks because it's not as warm now. They'll come up regardless though so don't worry. They might just take a little longer, that's all.

Also....

You may keep your shrubs as small or as large as you want...via pruning. The more you prune in fact, the denser and thicker they will become. Keeping them in pots isn't unheard of either, if you have a cool place to store it over winter, so the shrub will get it's required dormancy period.

When growing them from seed however, they won't mind being encouraged to vegetatively grow over one winter season, provided they are given their needed dormancy period, in the future winters to come.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Sprout

You can eat these? We have them growing wild and my MIL has them all over her yard. I knew the birds loved them. What is the best way to eat them?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Flower Garden

Yes, you can definitely eat them, Mz Rat.

Making jam is supposed to be the best way to eat them and it turns out to be a very vibrant Amythest purple color.

Please feel free to show us pics of your shrubs too. You are most welcome.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Sprout

Mine are scattered around the property and not very big. My MIL has a whole wall of them on the driveway plus several in her yard. I will get pictures of hers when I go back over on the 28th! Do you have a recipe for the jam? I would like to try it!
-->