Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Foliage / Ornamentals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upBanana Plants

Anyone growing a banana plant or would like to grow one? They are way too cool...and capable of flowering indoors if you can provide enough light and warmth.

The dwarf varieties produce a lot of pups (suckers). In fact here is a pup on my Super Dwarf Cavendish...

This variety is edible and will grow to around 3-4 feet indoors, which I can easily support in my huge south window. I am going to try to get it to flower for me, although it may take some time.

Please feel free to comment if you've ever wanted to grow one or have grown one in the past....or show pictures of your own banana plants. They are so gorgeous and I'd love to see other people's varieties too.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Flower Garden

i thought about it but it seemed so hard to do
Old 06-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Tree

They are great - and yes, easy A bit more difficult through the winter - but I usually carry about 10 varieties each season.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Flower Garden

okay maybe we can try one later in a month or two
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Flower Garden

They really are so easy to grow. I've got major sunlight in my living room, even in winter. Keeping the mites off is the biggest indoor problem with banana plants but showering them once a week and wiping the undersides of the leaves, will keep the mites at bay.

The smaller dwarf varieties are excellent indoors, even the ornamental types. I've known other gardeners in the north who've had success with indoor flowering on their banana plants. It will happen eventually, if you can keep them happy with good light and water. Feeding is important too. I use a low nitrogen, organic, water-soluble formula on mine.

Maybe I'll send you a pup, RaccoonBandit. My super dwarf cavendish is an edible variety.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you
Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Tree

I have bananas around my yard (unknown variety) and a potted pink banana that will go in the yard eventually. The ones in my back and side yard should give us some bananas this year, I'll post some pics if they do! Here are some pics of them -

My pink banana, still very young

Bananas in the back yard

Banana in the side yard - we had a huge patch of them where the boat is on the right and even though we dug it up years ago, they keep popping up here and there. This one came up through the agave leaves - we just left it since it doesn't block the walkway to the gate.

A couple pups at the back of the front yard. These keep popping up every year, but don't fruit because they don't really get enough sun and they usually die back every winter because they're small. I think the previous owners had planted these while the surrounding trees and bushes were still too small to block their sun. The root system below is big enough to keep sending up pups every year. I'll move them one of these days!

Last edited by Sherie0001; 06-06-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Tree

Your Super Dwarf Cavendish pup is so cute HollyberryLady! I've never tried growing bananas indoors before.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Flower Garden

Wow! Awesome, Sherie!

That one with the shiny waxy leaves looks like it could flower any day now! Banana plants in the garden are so beautiful. Love them in containers around poolsides too. Love them anywhere they'll grow, actually.

Please feel free to post ongoing pictures as yours grow. I will be too. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely pictures with us.

Yes, you should try growing a smaller variety indoors. We have bad winters here so keeping my banana plants outdoors all year round would be the death of them! Although I know another gardener in London who has a musa basjoo that returns for him in his garden every year thanks to deep planting and heavy mulching.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Flower

Banana Plants

Here are mine. My uncle bought me one small one from Wilmington, NC years ago and the rest is history. I have probably given away dozens. I know at least 6 houses in neighborhood have them. lol I counted the other day and I was up over fifty again. Not sure what the name of this species is, but it sure likes my yard. lol

Old 06-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs up

Absolutely stunningly awesome!!! Love it. Look how HUGE and GORGEOUS it is!

Wow, I'm impressed. Whatever you're doing....you're doing it right!

You should join banana.org...they'll tell you what species it is within 10 minutes.

Yes, the suckers grow like crazy. Banana plants were made for sharing. I die when I call nurseries and they tell me they are selling red varieties for close to 200 bucks. How ridiculous. The pups produce like crazy...even indoors. I share mine regularly too.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Tree

Those are absolutely gorgeous Brenbren!!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Flower Garden

you all have very pretty banana plants
Old 06-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Blossom

Wow! all of them are AWESOME! I had a dwarf about 2 years or so ago. The wind knocked it over and that was that! we get super strong winds here and that was grown indoors! Loved it. would love to get another one. they are so pretty.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Flower Garden

Once my super dwarf cavendish gets going with lots of pups, I'd be willing to share with others. I have dwarf cavendish also.

Ordered truly tiny but cancelled the order because they didn't have the other things I wanted. Super dwarf cavendish is my favourite for inside and the fruits are fully edible.

Saw musa basjoo and maurelii at the nursery this morning but those are not ideal for inside. Gorgeous in the garden though.
-->