Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

View Poll Results: What are your favorite types of flowers?
Vines-Id create trellises full of hanging beauty 10 12.82%
Bulbs-I love the explosion of bright colors in early spring 28 35.90%
Annuals-I like being able to make my yard look different every year 8 10.26%
Tropicals-A flare for the unusual 22 28.21%
Bushes-for that burst of color and groomed hedge look 1 1.28%
Cacti-beauty in the midst of a dangerous plant 6 7.69%
I prefer foliage-I enjoy a lush shady look 3 3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Tree

I didn't see perrienials,grasses, or trees which I love 2
Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
Like Pushin-up-Daisies,I prefer perennials for my landscape,but I checked tropicals because I enjoy puttering around with them as a challenge. Also the balance of trees,shrubs,and the perennials is what I try to achieve. Then of course there is my veggies. UT-OH, now I'm really getting confused.Better go to another post.
Happy gardening,
Bill
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
Thank you dirty & pushin! I love perennials also so what category do they fall under? On the other hand I agree with Angie because I love a variety also and it's hard to nail it down to one, plus I really love the native plants. So I guess I'd have to combine and say native perennials.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Acorn

What about shrubs? Perennials? I love my Encore Azaleas and the perennials! Since I love my lilies (Oriental, Orienpets, Asian) and Narcissus best of the options, I selected bulbs, but who can just pick one!?

I like Mandy's suggestion of native perennials, and I have had a local designer and Master Gardener help me with the hollies and wax myrtle to restore what the developer destroyed. I'm new to coastal NC (from IA and NY, zones 5 and 6, now in zone 8 with totally different soil condition known as SAND), and the help was essential for me to bring back the local wildlife quickly. Okay, so I can do without the deer returning and motion detectors alert me to run out at all hours of the night and scare them away from my pittosporum!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...47142220hxDPUz

Last edited by neighbor_nancy; 07-27-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: thought of more to say
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Flower

I chose bulbs

but I like all the others to. I'm non selective when it comes to plants either.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Flowering Shrub

I didn't put perennials because I felt that most people probably would choose that and that wouldn't get me closer to what I was looking for-which is conversation on favorites-to pick your brains. I didn't think about trees-but yes, magnolia is one of my faves. I apologize, Zuzu, for not giving the choice of weird, funky and bizarre. I think everyone likes these types for their oddity, but there are only a few who could rightfully declare that these are their sought after-you being one of them. (That is the ones who seek these-not that you are one of the weird funky or bizarre-hee hee!) I didn't put grasses because I wanted to see the attraction of flowers-not just plants-so I did add foliage, but one must stop somewhere for those who are not into flowers at all. Veggies is a whole different ballgame.
I am looking at which seed I need to take to Australia with me and since it is hard to pick one favorite-and I can't take them all, I like to see how you all decide what your favorites are. Keep the debate coming.
I too love them all.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

You know that we are just teasing you cuz we love you ....
if you had listed everything that we have named ... ... we would have thought of other stuff to whinge about,
well, maybe I should just speak for myself.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 07-27-2008 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: fixed a typo *blush*
Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

I voted for bulbs because I really enjoy them, but my favorite flowers are really orchids. I just can't keep those things alive around here.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Originally Posted by neighbor_nancy View Post:
What about shrubs? ... I love my Encore Azaleas ...
Wouldn't that fit under the 'bushes'?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Acorn

Originally Posted by PlantSwap View Post:
Wouldn't that fit under the 'bushes'?
YUP! DOH!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Tree

I too like perennials but picked bulbs and vines. Truly anything with a flower is what I love.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Flowering Shrub

Orchids are out of my league! Haven't even attempted them but love to browse the pictures of them. Do they have seed? Maybe when I'm all established overseas I'll attempt the tougher stuff. They sure are pretty! Some day I WILL have a greenhouse!!
I love lilacs and would thought they would also be a bush-one I won't have in Australia because I don't think I've ever seen a seed from them and I doubt they will be accessible there. Not sure what I will find there at this point. They have some "Weird, funky and bizarre" stuff over their so maybe Zuzu and I will be able to do a swap some time. Although I saw pictures on the news last night that Sydney got snow yesterday (winters and summers are flipped and snow is very rare). When my stuff is dormant will be when you all are flourishing! Thats when I'll be most active on Plantswap looking at all your gardens and living through my friends back home!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
ok_nurse,
I do'nt know if you are familiar with the plant hardiness zones in Australia,so I am sending you this link. Gives you an idea of what will work for you with your favorite plants.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/hort.research/zones.html
Have a sparkling day,
Bill
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Flowering Shrub

You are so sweet Bill. I read this link and it leaves me just as confused as to what I can expect as the other readings I did. They say they are generally warmer than the US, yet they have these dips into low temps that kill off everything. Will make it good for business if I ever do get to have a greenhouse and landscaping business, but its a lot to learn when the climate is so sporadic. You'd think by looking at that map that the weather is much cooler than here in Oklahoma, but I know they rarely get snow and it is usually much warmer in the summer than we experience here. Still-they do get frost and snow. That and just getting used to the idea of North being hot and south being cool, all the rivers flowing north, and May begins their winter season. AHHH! It ought to be exciting-but still a little overwhelming!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Forest

Smile

i HAD SELECT THE FIRST 4
LOL
-->