Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Acorn

has anyone posted already about getting locally adapted seeds from fruit and veg at your local farmers market cheep or free.. there is one farmers market here that cuts up pineapple, every time i go i get about 20 tops from them..ive gotten locally adapted tomatoes peppers eggplant black beans spanish peanut seeds etc.. from my local farmers markets ..a lot of time they will have old produce theyre throwing away that they will give you for free for seeds..you can get pineapple caps from your local grocery store too if you talk to the person in the produce dept.
also i love to go for plant walks in my neighborhood and take plants from the sides of the roads where the city mows and cuttings and divisions seeds from empty lots ..
also to salvage plants from properties that are about to be developed..
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Esteemed Nut

I consider it my duty to go rescue plants from land slated for development. Those guys are so murderous to the land around here. They have not a thought about the land. The worst are developers from Dallas and California that have come to Austin . I don't mean to rile up the californians and the Dallasites. Texas has attracted a breed of developer from both places that love the lax rules and nonexistent oversight outside of Austin city limits and rules. The county hasn't the political power to have rules and oversight, so these guys go hog wild and destroy things with wanton aggression in this fragile environment. SO I go a digging before the good things get buried in land slides of caliche or graded into oblivion. Take everything if a mall is coming in. Have NO guilt. Now the developments are going bust and they have left things totally undone. Don't get me started!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Acorn

i know i know ..its really hurt me a few times to see them just bulldoze precious plants id love to have ..
Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Esteemed Nut

I got all my rock from a site that was to become a mall. I stopped taking it because I thought that they might want some for landscaping. SILLY ME! they covered over a spring and all this honeycombed limestone with 15' -25' of fill. I learned my lesson on that one. If I get another chance at that kind of stuff and I know a mall is coming in, I will be ruthless. The same foundation people that did that mall built a road out by my place and caused a huge landslide that destroyed a sunken grotto on a county park, 4 miles down stream. . They and the landowner was sued for 4 million dollars. A friend of mine had a 30 ' deep swimming hole just downstream from the road cut and it filled up and became a three' deep mud hole. A judgment is not the same thing as money.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Sprout

free plants

Hi saultic,
That is a great idea about asking the produce person for the discarded locally grown produce in order to get the seeds. I guess if they are willing to give you the seeds, they might also give you some of the rotting produce so that you can add it to your compost pile. Just think of all of the nutrients that will come especially if the rotten produce is organically grown. It would be a win win situation for both parties because your compost pile gets healthy material and the produce department saves on some of their carting costs.
Keep up the great ideas!
Dpiautb
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Flowering Shrub

I had some parsnips & carrots that had sprouts coming out the tops (yeah, I hate to clean the frig) I cut the tops off & planted them in with some of the pots of flowers outside & they are growing like crazy! I had started to put them in the compost bin, but thought I'd give it a try. They have added a pretty fern like growth even if they don't make carrots & parsnips.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Flower Garden

Congratulations. I think I'll do sweet potatoes next year. Maybe carrots.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Tree

My greatest "free" find just took place some months ago. We had to replace the sewer drain out to the street. In digging up the yard, and concrete, about 2-3 feet down was a layer of beautiful coral rock.

The bulldozer did a good job of breaking it up for me. I now use it as the edging around some tri-palms in the center of my front yard.

The cheapest way I have found to buy plants, especially for larger orders, is through a wholesale grower. With the economy the way it is, many are now seller directly to homeowners. On Craig's list, I came in touch with several growers in my area. I found one that would deliver free of charge! (With a $100 minimum) Their prices are rock bottom. For example, I got a varigated Arboricola, or Trinette, which would normally sell for $10 at a Lowes or Home Depot, for only $2.75. I found all their prices to be discounted from 'store' prices by about 60-70%.
-->