Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to smurfy Send a message via Yahoo to smurfy
Once again you got to be careful, you can spread bugs to your healthy plants, make sure you check them out before putting them with your plants.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Flower Garden

They're quarantined. Plus I inspected them carefully. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Sprout

Almost forgot another source of plants--garage sales! While at garage sales I have admired peppermint, catnip, spearmint, and violets; offered to pay for slips or a couple violets coming up to close to another plant and was given the plants in question. I was also given columbine seed at another--the plants were covered in seedpods and the lady who was holding the sale even got me an envelope to put all the seeds in.

Around here, gardeners have a tradition that you shouldn't pay for a plant from a friend's or neighbors garden, nor should you say thank you for the plant...the plant won't grow. So I always thank the person for their hospitality and neighborliness.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Flower Garden

Yeah, I've gotten some neat plants at yard sales. Gardeners here are very friendly and usually love to give 'strays' to another gardener.Now, if I can given them enough water and shade to make it through our heat wave, I think they'll be fine. Thanks for the idea and the reminder.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Esteemed Nut

My neighbors and friends give me so much and I give them so much. I believe in giving away more than what I get. Abandoned homes are great. When I knew that a place was going to be sold, I talked to the owners, especially if it was on the busy street near by because all those homes were in transition into shops and offices and were going to get massive parking lots. I got 200 red spider lilies that way. When they tore down the university of Texas married Student housing, I spent all summer going through those ruins with a wheelbarrow. Last year a friend asked to borrow my trailer to get some stuff off of a ranch that was becoming a Mall. I went along too. He got wood. I got three 16'trailer loads of limestone. I found piles of rock that a mason had piled up there. Then I started pulling off honey combed natural limestone and felt guilty about taking the natural rock. I don't know why I thought someone might use it for landscaping. silly me!!!! They brought in fill, 25 feet of it in places. I should have taken 2, 3,4 more loads of it out. It is now all cement. I made a rock retaining wall, and walk way to a cactus garden out of it. I wish I had tons and tons more.

If you have quarries around you . Call up and ask if they have a "boneyard" . I have a granite quarry here that cuts slabs for buildings and I get granite from them for 5 cents a lb. if I get 2500 lbs. My trailer and van get a workout. I built a patio for $250. One thing I found out is that they load it on with a machinery and I have to unload it the old fashion way. I better not be a lone and I better restrict the size of the slabs. I got caught unawares the first time.

A friend was tearing down their deck and it came home with me last week. 40 boards of cedar. YEA!!!!! The deers days of unfettered access to my garden is numbered.

Last edited by marasri; 07-05-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: missed word
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Flower Garden

I was in the next town up the road and stopped by Lowe's today (we don't have one). After conducting my business, I notice a bunch of people and plants out in the parking lot and found that this was the 'clearance area'. Could I resist? No. So I dived in and found in the midst of a bunch of gardenias some azaleas--rebloomers, yet. I was thrilled at the find but not sure how much they'd cost. Loaded on a card, up to checkout and found that the six (that's 6) azaleas, all in mint condition (none of this half-dead stuff), totaled $15.65, tax and all. Can you believe it????
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Flowering Shrub

Last year, an iris farm (Karen & Nancy's) my daughter and I stopped at a couple times a year was closing, the ladies that ran it wanted to retire. They had about 40-50 acres of bearded, LA, and japanese iris (they estimated they had close to 300 colors), daylilies (they said they had close to 100 different colors), hosta (about 20 kinds from mini to huge),2 kinds of pampas grass, and several other things I can't remember the names of.................
All the iris and daylilies sold for $1 for a good size start
They sold the hostas (3-5 eyes)for $2 to $5 depending on the type
The pampas grass went for $2 in a 3 gallon size pot

Between my daughter and I we spent about $50 and spent the rest of the week trying to find places to put them!

They were sweet ladys, I'll miss them, they were always helpful, and knew exactly where everything was at................
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Thats nice, I'm heading towards my 32nd birthday, and i've always enjoyed sitting on the neighbors porches and listen to the stories they had to tell, Its more enjoyable than going out partying. I knew a black lady named Virginia when I graduated from high school (1997), we'd always swap plants and seeds when i seen her outside. I do love iris and daylilies. I have a lavender daylily i got on ebay the flowers are 6-8 inches and very pretty. I got into angel trumpets 5 yrs ago when i seen one at the city farmers market for sale at a landscaping shop in the market, got it for 17$ and have been hooked ever since. My neighbors asked me what it was and said they never seen anything like it before. I will never forget that heavenly scent you can smell in front of the house when the blooms open at night, its like nothing you've ever smelled before, even better than hyacinths. I enjoy the company of the older folk and helping them in their garden, being I was raised in foster homes I never got a chance to get close to my grandparents, so I think thats why. I think plants beautify our gardens and homes, and that they should be free to all who love gardening. Same way with Bibles, God shouldn't cost us anything to learn about him, give bibles away and let people learn about God without paying 40 bucks that could be used for food. God Bless everyone and their green thumbs!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Acorn

I got a venus flytrap today at lowe's there was another one that was almost dead or dead there that got thrown out, i wish i had read this first and took it home. Plant clippings is a great way to get plants free, i have a problem getting seeds to sprout and become healthy plants... why cant i keep plants alive? God knows i try!!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Esteemed Nut

I have a new friend (who is director of a city's parks ) who has invited me to "run with scissors through his yard". I just love that saying. He is a huge collector of mexican and Southwest plants. I can't wait for it to cool down so I can take him up on it.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Esteemed Nut

Maybaby, sometimes we just try to hard. I killed all my venus flytraps I ever had. That is a hard plant for some of us. I can't help you there but if you start a thread with a problem you are having, I bet you will get TOO MANY suggestions. Lots of people are willing to spread their knowledge. Give us something specific
Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Bush

I think everyone means well. We all just wanna help when we put our 2 cents in...
Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Venus fly traps need a lot of sunlight, putting them under flourescent bulbs is not enough, you have to have them in a window that gets several hours of sunlight, and keep them slightly moist. I gave up on them, as well as gardenias long ago, every gardenia i got dropped its leaves and died.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Flower Garden

A friend of mine and I dug 2 large white hardy hibiscus out of a roadsode ditch where there were no houses, etc. They are huge and I worried they wouldn't make it, but it RAINED last night and the hibiscuses were blooming this morning. What a deal.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by maybaby View Post:
I got a venus flytrap today at lowe's there was another one that was almost dead or dead there that got thrown out, i wish i had read this first and took it home. Plant clippings is a great way to get plants free, i have a problem getting seeds to sprout and become healthy plants... why cant i keep plants alive? God knows i try!!

Maybaby, we all have had different experiences and results. What works for some doesn't always work for others. What works in one area of the country doesn't always work in other areas. There are so many variables, soil conditions, micro climates and so on. I think gardening is trial and error most the time. I've killed my share of plants. Iíve had plants struggle and even die in one area of my yard but thrive in others. Iíve had several DUH revelations from information provide by people here. I agree start your own threads with your problems and questions and someone may come up with a solution you havenít heard or tried before.

Mara "run with scissors through his yard" who could asks for a better invitation. Love it. Have fun!
-->