Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by Mandy View Post:
Isn't that a great idea for checking the seeds viability! How long does it take them generally to show signs of life?
that depends on seed type, however, you should see signs of life within two weeks. Start them in the winter and by spring you have some larger plants to put in the yarden
Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Flowering Shrub

I still think its a deal when I buy a packet of seed for a buck and get three or four nice plants out of them. Especially when I can't buy them in my local stores. I have 5 nice adenium plants growing from seed off the internet. I used cheapseed.com too and got about the same results as Suddenly Spring. I still appreciate that I have these plants. I figure if I get one good plant out of the bunch-its worth the buck-cause one plant will give me more seed. Thanks for sharing the source unicorn. I'm not deleting the post. I think the conversation is great to let people know what they can expect. I'm rating the thread a 4 star.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Tree

ok I will leave it for now. I just dont want people angry at me for anything. I love to try and help people when I can. Thats what I thought I was doing. I will order from them and post a report so I have some experience under my belt!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
Good for you! Don't you dare delete this thread. I agree with ok nurse, it's a 4 star!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Forest

Smile

I used the place, but wasnt impressed......

Not much seed at all''
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
Bali, which one did you use? I'm curious. And Jazzman, I started those seeds both indoors and out, spring and fall. Doing a viability test in some paper towels is like doing a dye reaction test 24 hours before I dye my hair. ROTFL. If I tried it four different ways, it was probably not going to work anyway I'd think.
And Unicorn, I really really liked this thread! Definitely keep it, and maybe we can post our results from wherever sometime soon. It was a great idea.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Forest

Smile

valueseeds....................Get more seeds from the swap here...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
That's really good to know! Thank you Bali. So far it seems to be true for me too.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Tree

It is just another option besides this site.
Sometimes people cant get what they want or need from here or they just feel the need to buy certain things. I havnt asked yet but I think I am going to end up buying bush cucumber. I have a space book marked for that just in case I cant get it here.
There are people who also cant afford the high priced seeds at some places. Or they know friends or family who could bennefit from the cheaper seed sites. I liked the jingle bell pepper and I would have to pay 3.50 for those and only 3 sites carry them. I did save seeds from the ones from my friend so I hope they grow for me ..but if they dont I will have to do with out them. I cant pay that for seeds. I am just trying to help out the poor folks like me.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Forest

Smile

That is why we trade seeds on here............
You can't be choosy, but food is food..
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Tree

Ok I give
Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Sprout

Cool

im with unicorn, we all trade seeds and if you get seeds from different sources whats the chances they don't make it. just seems that .79 for a pack of seeds (over 100) whats the chances you can't get a dozen to grow? @ less than .06 per plant! sounds like a deal to me. Tip: Stratify seeds on paper towel in one of those plastic food storage containers, the large flat one's, place several layers in bottom, moisten (I use spray bottle with a bleach water maybe 1 tsp per gal) pour off excess water. Line up seedsand cover with single layer moist paper towel. Put the lid on and put container in cool dark place. Exchange air daily (just take the lid off and put it back on) after about week 10 days check. once they start germinating, I use an exacto knife, cut that piece out, or you can use those tweezers that beeders use and pick them up, although experiences suggest that sometimes those starter roots imbed in the paper towel so I just start neatly lining up the seeds cut out once they start, using tweezers on the paper towel and not having to worry about it. plant in news paper pot, jiffy pots, something you can just put in the ground. That's how I do it! I say keep the post! IMHO

Last edited by detroitjazzman; 09-08-2008 at 02:00 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Tree

Check out Dollar General they have seeds marked down for 7cent a pkg.WOW
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Forest

Exclamation

Was ther yesterday...............ours are all sold out, month ago.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Tree

I dont recommend walgreens seeds...mine didnt do good from there. I didnt try the dollor store yet.
-->