Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Tree

For the thrifty shopper...

I know there are just some thing you want to buy and not trade. Here is a nice little cheap site with veggies and flowers for you to check out.....

http://www.valueseeds.com/?page=2
More to come keep watching!!!

Last edited by unicorn2564; 09-10-2008 at 08:36 AM..
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Flower

Thanks for

the link, will be using it later on.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
What a great site! I added that one to my favorites that's for sure. Nice selection and fantastic prices. Thanks unicorn!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Tree

your very welcome..I have another one I need to find again. I will post when found..check back soon!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
Sites like that make me happy my birthday is in March! haha I'll definitely be using that site to buy seeds from soon--they were a very good price! Thanks Unicorn.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Coolanyone try

the prices are good but how about the seed? Cheap is not always better. And believe me I pinch if I can. But if you get no results what the heck? Just askin.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Tree

Hmmm never thought of that did I? I am bad too !!! I wont post anymore sites...sorry.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

oh hush!

Its just that ya never know, I have ordered from repetable dealers online and either its me or the seed? Sometimes ya pay more and hardly even get anything. I don't no. If someone ya no did it before ya feel better. I guess it gets to be like name brands and thats not right either. Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. Sorry did not mean to offend ya! Keep them comin please!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
Well, I guess you're right though. Maybe just try one packet of seeds. Now that I remember, I bought 6 packets of seed from Cheapseeds.com.
Here's my results: (they were really cheap! but oy!)
red flax: exactly two showed up
Red poppies: ONE (out of thousands!)
Hollyhocks: I don't know, I also sowed other types, and they're only 1 year old--so maybe 1-5?
Foxgloves: None that I've seen
Gaillardia: NONE (was wondering if I was doing something wrong at that point!)
Coreopsis: None that I know of, the only ones that came up were the walgreen's ones
They looked like really good seeds...so I don't know....maybe it was me? The same seeds from other stores came up though. I don't like to bash but maybe it's good to try them first.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Tree

I am going to get this thread deleted by plant swap. I added a note to the top of the post to clear this up. I also sent notice to the 2 other people who replied so they will think twice about ordering these seeds. Again I am sorry.

Last edited by unicorn2564; 09-07-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Old 09-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Flower Garden

Nothing to apologize for! One never knows til the seeds are tried! I personally always enjoy your links so maybe this is a great place or maybe not but all you were doing was sharing info. It's up to the others if they want to follow thru or not. That's what is great about here, we can share & caution each other and it's all good!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Flower

I say leave it be

You were just trying to help us other gardeners in a possible good find. We are all adults an can make our own decisions as to whether to try them out. I bookmarked this site an whether I order from them hasn't been decided. Like others I've ordered from reputable companies b4 to an got poor results, could have been me, could have been the seeds.

Just because a pack of seeds have been marked "Packaged for 09" doesn't mean the seeds were harvested in 08. The seeds could be on their last year of viability an the company doesn't want to loose the money they could make on them. As we all know seeds can have a shelf life of 1 year to ??? years depending on storage an other factors involved an what type of seeds they are. Thats my 2 cents for all its worth.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Flowering Shrub

Talking

I say leave it be too. Sometimes we all don't agree, we all have our own opinions. That's Life... The price is well worth it to try them out. I also enjoy your seed sites. Please keep them coming!!!

*The wind of Heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse*
~Arabian Proverb
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by SuddenlySpring View Post:
Well, I guess you're right though. Maybe just try one packet of seeds. Now that I remember, I bought 6 packets of seed from Cheapseeds.com.
Here's my results: (they were really cheap! but oy!)
red flax: exactly two showed up
Red poppies: ONE (out of thousands!)
Hollyhocks: I don't know, I also sowed other types, and they're only 1 year old--so maybe 1-5?
Foxgloves: None that I've seen
Gaillardia: NONE (was wondering if I was doing something wrong at that point!)
Coreopsis: None that I know of, the only ones that came up were the walgreen's ones
They looked like really good seeds...so I don't know....maybe it was me? The same seeds from other stores came up though. I don't like to bash but maybe it's good to try them first.

I've found regardless of seed source, I test my seed first between a sheet of wet paper towel inside a zip lock bag, if they sprout, I plant them. It seelms to me that with all the seeds that you get from this source for next to nothing, Its hard for me to believe that you cannot get a good number of the seeds to sprout. IMHO
Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Flower Garden

Isn't that a great idea for checking the seeds viability! How long does it take them generally to show signs of life?
-->