Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
yes JD there has to be 2 flowers blooming to get a cross pollination. I know because I DID IT!!!!! Yeah I have my white Brug making seeds now and I will post when they are ready to be mailed out.

So thoes of you that want some pm me and I will get a list going. First come first serve. I know that I have at least 1 pod forming.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Flower Garden

That's awesome!! I hope to get seeds too maybe next summer. I dont know how well my brugs are going to do this winter in the house. I"m hoping for some blooms but probably wont get any.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
jd did you cut them back? They have to be cut back really hard. I found out they like to bloom from new wood and set more blooms. Mine has gone nuts
here is a pic of it http://www.plantswap.net/forum/membe...-gotten-bloom/

I also fed mine on a diet of bloom booster and then Epson salts they love that and it has really bloomed well. Also whenever it bloomed I took a cotton swab and I dusted the stamens and went to the next plant and pollinized by hand also i had a little friend to help it was a sphinx moth that helped by going up into each bloom I watched it until I couldn't see outside anymore.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Is anyone up for some seeds when they are ready?

PM me if you are.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Acorn

I wound up with two brugs from the old man up the street and one is blooming with 3 flowers in the house. Its gorgeous, supposed to be yellow but the flowers turned a dark peach. It had lost its leaves since he had it outdoors but Im hoping it comes back inside!
Ok for some reason my computer wont let me insert an image of it. *sigh*
Leanne
Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Flower Garden

No, I didnt cut mine back. If your cutting was above the y then it will bloom but if it wasnt then it will have to "y" before it blooms. My dr suess had gotten a y on it and then it got broke off at the top. It was c lose to blooming. So, now I'm waiting for it to y again. Its over 4 ft tall. I have an ecuador pink, still waiting on a y on it too. Its 4 ft tall also. But someone here sent me a frosty pink and it is a small little thing and it had 7 or 8 blooms on it before I brought it in. That cutting was above the y. They lose their leaves when brought inside but they will grow back. I just wanted to experiement with them this winter and see if I could get them to bloom. I have some in the living room in front of the window and some in the basement. The ones in the living room are doing better than the ones in the basement. I think it might be a tad too cold in the basement for them. I might let the ones in the basement go dormant until spring. Still trying to decide what to do with them. I dont want to keep pushing it and maybe kill them.
Deb
Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Flower Garden

I just looked at your pic Mickey, that is one beautiful plant!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you jdkline. I didn't know that you were to cut above the Y so I just cut mine back. Down here I have seen the ones growing outside die right back to the ground and come back from the roots or they are cut back and they have loads of blooms on them. So I am not sure about the cutting thing. The one in the photo albums has put on a second flush of blooms and I am waiting for those to bloom before I cut back the plant. It is having a hard time fitting into my green house as big as it is.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Flower Garden

I bet it is. Is it white blooms?? That's what the picture looks like. I have an alba too but it didnt get big enough to bloom before the cold weather set in.
Deb
Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the blooms are white it is a NOID. I bought it at our local nursery and it was marked as being pink " sigh" never mind I love it anyhow. I am going to transplant it to a bigger container this spring. I have been brewing a batch of compost in my compost container that was givien me. It should love that!

I received a Pink cutting in a recent Trade and it is sitting in my rooting jar now as we speak and is looking really good. I see little leaves beginning to come out and maybe some roots are starting to sprout as well .
So will have to wait and see.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Blossom

Wink

Oh goodies folks that are interested in Brugmansias and Daturas! Y'll are going to be my favorites!!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yes there are quite a few of us here that have a love for those wonderful beauties
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Bush

MR Thank you for the Brugmansia link. I only just received a few brug seeds yesterday and had no idea how to plant them until now.
About how long does it take to go from seed to bloom?
Do you need two plants in order to get seeds on just two blooms?

I grew Datura for the first time last year and had wonderful results. I'm hooked. Can't wait to get the brugs in my garden.
Bernie.

Last edited by msmacgyver; 01-12-2009 at 02:44 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Tree

thanks for the info, i thought there was a difference ;;;I have some seeds for double purple datura the one with spiny seed pods never seen the seed pod before for brug thanks for clearin it up for me.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome Pushin-up-Daisies.

msmacgyver hello and I am glad that you liked the thread!

As far as I have read I believe there is quite a length of time from seed to bloom on a Brug. I would like to say that it is 2+ years depending on where you live and other factors. The best person to ask on that one would be Karma, I know that she is a Brug person and has grown Brugs from seed.

As far as getting seed. Mine set seed from just one plant but you have to have more than one flower blooming to get the cross pollination I believe, I also had a bit of help there too from a Hummingbird Moth that was darting in and out of each flower one evening sipping nectar. I have seed pods on my White NOID that are rippening on the plant in the green house. They look like a green banana to me.

Tags
brugsmania, datura
-->