Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose

Noting the difference between Brugmansia and Daturas.

I have noticed that there has been request for these 2 plants. I just wanted to point out that they are now considered different plants and species.
There is a significant differance between a brugmansia and a datura. They look very simialiar but are very different.

Brugmansia

Brugmansia is a genus of six species of flowering plants in the family Solanaceae, native to subtropical regions of South America, along the Andes from Colombia to northern Chile, and also in southeastern Brazil. They are known as Angel's Trumpets, incorrectly sharing that name in the past with the closely related genus Datura, commonly known as "Thorn Apple". The genus differs from Datura in being perennial and woody (Datura species are herbaceous), and in having pendulous (not erect) flowers.

Datura

known by the common names jimson weed, ditch weed, Good weed, loco weed, Korean morning glory, Jamestown weed, thorn apple, angel's trumpet, devil's trumpet, devil's snare, devil's seed, mad hatter, crazy tea, malpitte, and, along with Datura metel, zombie cucumber is a common weed in the Nightshade Family.
Datura is an erect annual herb, on average 30 to 150 cm (1-5 feet) tall with erect, forking and purple stems. The leaves are large, 7 to 20 cm (3-8 in) long and have irregular teeth similar to those of oak leaves. The flowers are one of the most distinctive characteristics of Datura stramonium: they are trumpet-shaped, white to purple, and 2-7 in. (5-17.5 cm) long. The flowers, with the same fragrance as Mirabilis jalapa, open and close at irregular intervals during the evening, earning the plant the nickname moonflower. The fruit are walnut-sized, egg-shaped, and covered in prickles, they split into four chambers, each chamber with dozens of small black seeds. All parts of the plant emit a foul odor when crushed or bruised.

Both are poisonous but there is a distinct differance in the plants. Brugs are perennials and datura's are annuals basically. I have never been able to keep a datura around to the following year once the weather got to cool.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Tree

Thanks for the info, I always confuse the names. My uncle has a Datura that is huge and comes back every year (for years now). We are in zone six, so I was hoping to get seeds from him and try for myself!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Bush

Good thread, Rebecca....this question comes up a lot.

I only wish my brugs could get that big and amazing....can't grow them outside year round, here...they have to stay small to stay in pots.

my blog: http://nataliesartandsoap.blogspot.com/

Do you know about PS's social groups??
http://www.plantswap.net/forum/groups/
Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

MR, great information....!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 11-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Esteemed Nut

Mickey, I have two six year old Daturas. They come back year after year. It might be that they do not like your moisture And cold. I call mine, tender perenials. I had a 10 year old datura in Austin. Z 8b borderline 8a.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

brugs

It seems nobody has seeds for these and I see people always asking for cuttings, my first year for the datura, but can the brugs grow from seeds or not? Thats what confuses me.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Beautifulbay, I know right! I seen some like these before and just drool. This is a pic that I copied and pasted not mine , but maybe one day one of mine will look like this (If wishes were horses too)

gardeningmom, Diane, Thank you. I thought that this would be a good thread as at one time the 2 plants were thought to be one and the same.

marasri, that is good to know. I couldn't get my Datura to live. Maybe it was me .
I treated it just like the brug and the brug lived. Hmmmmmmmm who knows. Maybe I can get my Datura that I grow from seed to came back year after year.

Angie, yes Brugs can be grown from seed it just takes them longer to grow up and bloom. A cutting will bloom in as little as several months from good root take off. I believe that is why cuttings are always asked for. And cuttings are sure to be the color that you have seen on the plant that is wanted. Seeds are always iffy, but then that is the way that new varieties are found
Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
BUBBA

brug seeds

do they get big pods like datura? If so someone here must have some seeds for me? Anyone?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Esteemed Nut

Mickey. The brug lived for you because it likes rich wet soil since its natural habitat is the rain forests.. A lot of Daturas, on the other hand are native to areas like Southwestern US and nothern Mexico. Datura meteloides (inoxia or wrightii, it has to many latin names) is from Texas, new mexico, Utah and California. D. discolor is a sonoran desert plant and might only be a annual in Central Tx or need some extra protection.. I would like to find out one day. You might like to obtain some D. ferox or Torna Loco that can even grow in shallow water, from what I read. The seed pod is HUGE and horny. Oh oh, I didn't say that , did I. The pod is very interesting and the flower is a little smaller. Here is a discription and source. Scroll down. There even is a oak leafed Datura , I hear. I am just repeating what professor Google told me.
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/SeedlistDA-DE.htm
Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Flower Garden

marasri, Thank you so much for the information. I have only had the plants since 06. I have done a lot of reading but nne of it really told me anything that was helpful. I know someone that has Brugs and have been picking her ear.
Well now that I have plenty of Datura seeds I will hopefully be able to experiment with them and I will treat them more like a succulent than a brug.

Angie,
here is a picture of a brug seed pod. Here is a website to raise Brugs from seeds. http://www.brugmansia.us/seeds.shtml

For those that are curious here is the Datura seed pod. You will notice that is why they call it Thorn Apple.

Last edited by mickeys_rose; 11-24-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM
BUBBA

Spiky seed pod

I had those first time, so where are the brug seed collectors????????????I wanna try some seeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What do you want as far as seeds will trade!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Esteemed Nut

When people talk about the lavendar datura, I think it might like a wetter condition because it id related to Datura stramonium. Remember that the deserts have washes and not all of it is TOTALLY dry. This summer was too dry for my D meteloides here (10"). I didn't water. It shrank back to its roots but it is still alive. I drenched it and it came back.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Flower Garden

Angie, I think you have to have 2 brugs blooming at the same time to even have the chance to get seeds. Correct me if I"m wrong, but I think that is what I read.
Deb
Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 PM
BUBBA

JD

Are you saying they are like some fruit trees, and need a male and female to get seeds? I am totally ignorant to these! help with info and send me seeds!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Bush

Questionwhatever it is

angmf2233 I have a few seeds for you,
interested?

Last edited by Saba; 01-06-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Tags
brugsmania, datura
-->