Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Flowering Shrub

mulch

I have several guinea pigs ( I know, whats that got to do with gardening), I use a mixture of cedar and pine shavings in the cage and am trying to come up with ways to recycle it....

because they eat only vegetables and fruits can their used bedding be used to mulch around plants?

My chickens mixed it with straw, leaves and shredded paper ( usually over the winter months) and I use this in my flower beds, but thought why buy mulch if I can use their used bedding instead....

any thoughts?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, it's good to see you - did you have an okay winter?

Hmm, I don't think the piggie droppings would cause much trouble, and could be pretty beneficial- but, I know that fresh wood chips/shavings/sawdust, etc. can actually leach nutrients out of the soil in the process of decomposing - so, to be extra safe, you could always compost your piggies' bedding for a while before applying it around your plants.

Just a thought.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:19 AM
Flowering Shrub

I had a great winter ( if you don't count my daughter, her husband and three small children moving in with me, lol......my house and yard are not what you would consider small child friendly , far too many breakables!)

as for the piggie bedding i was thinking about at least partially allowing it to compost before adding it to my flower beds as a mulch. I don't think the 'dry' droppings would be as much a problem as the "wet" ones would be.

and thank you for taking the time to answer my question
Old 04-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that is a houseful, for sure - and I would have the same complication insofar as my place not being young-child friendly, neither indoors nor out - so I sure know what you mean.

It sounds like you have a good plan for the piggie bedding, I expect that once it all has a while to compost a bit it should work well.
Always nice to get double duty from anything, isn't it?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Flowering Shrub

I can get triple duty for it too,.....

as I said earlier, the wood shavings I clean out of the guinea pigs cage goes to the chicken pen and with added straw, donated leaves (from the neighbors) and finely shredded, used paper, it helps to control the mud that developes during the winter and spring rainy seasons, and in the fall gets mixed with top soil and added to any new or existing flower beds......

and it also keeps the chickens entertained

and hopefully also helping teach my 6 year old granddaughter the importance of recycling ( she already helps me collect aluminum cans, plastic bottles and cardboard/paper to recycle, and looks forward to saturday mornings when we take it to the recycling place) as for my other two grandchildren staying with me, I'm beginning to think that at two and a half and eighteen months they are brain damaged!
Old 05-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Acorn

There is no worry about the nitrogen so long as you use it as a top mulch as you intend to do. It will only tie up the nitrogen if you turn it under. It should be good stuff and beneficial to your soil's bio-systems.
-->