Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Tree

nice plant

must be nice to have only one of three in our country,, arent you worried about it at work, it looks like a work place and it getting stolen or damaged ,, i would not ever let it out of my site if it was that rare and i was one of only a handful owners,, are you propagating it to make sales,, maybe you should be if its super rare like that, and ensuring it will also live on,, ?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Tree

Hello

Great questions. I opened an exotic plant store, so that's what you see behind me, and yes, I chose the wall color

I'm at my store almost 24/7, because plants are my passion...
It's great, because I am in a community where I can just leave all my perennials, etc out front, outside, without fear of them having been stolen the next morning.

As for propagating it; Clivias are very slow growers, and this guy is about 4 years from flowering, and if, and only if, it produces seeds, it will be another 4-8 months before I have a viable seed to plant, and then another 2-4 months for a teeny leaf to come up. In other words, it would not be a viable option, trying to propagate it at this point.

I bought it for it's rarity, but more importantly, to have every one of the six species of Clivias known to man.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Tree

very cool job

owner of plants,, you only stock rare ones? or all kinds,, how nice is that,, i bet its fun to order from all over the world like that,, thats your rarest , that is very nice that the place you live is that safe,, its a very nice thought, wish the world was like that, on the farm where my hubby lived as a child no locked doors or windows was ever necessary,, now it isnt the case, its all changed,, since our days as a child that was long before you were born,, we are children of the fifty's and things were much different then,, as opposed to now,, with many things .. i guess thats the world and its changes,, you are very blessed,, to love what you do,, and have the store to do it in,,
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Tree

Hi

I know what you're saying - the world just isn't the same! It's really nice to find these little pockets where you can live like that.
You asked me if that was my rarest plant. Good question...
It definitely is at the top, however my Clivia robusta, Clivia nobilis, and my Clivia gardenii are also quite rare. It is also quite mind-boggling to imagine that each one of those plants actually was living wild in South Africa a year or two ago before making their way here.
And yes, it's quite remarkable getting plants from around the world. There are some great international Ebay sellers and I got very unusual seeds this way.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Acorn

$1200 dollars to have four specimen trees moved 50 miles to my new home. RScott
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via Yahoo to jessiebella677

fruit trees

My fruit trees. Oh I didnt tell you guys that over the summer we used that extra tax check to start an orchard. I had to have my kids and hubby plant them all since I was on bed rest!! Thats half the joy, you know? But they are all doing well. I have only to get a couple more pears, and peaches and mulberry and other berry trees...a couple hah! Yeah right!
I swear I am gonna break the bank!! BUt with the economy going the way it at keast we will have food!!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Bush

My pamela Hethering orchid - $35.00 --I usually limit to $15

my blog: http://nataliesartandsoap.blogspot.com/

Do you know about PS's social groups??
http://www.plantswap.net/forum/groups/
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
That's the way to do it Jessie! Not only do I love all the stuff we grow but it's safe to eat because we only garden organically. Don't have any fruit trees yet unless you count the Serviceberries which we grow for the birds to enjoy but we are fortunate to have great neighbors that share their pears/apples so that's nice. They garden organically also so that's an added bonus.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Jessie

You may not need to many, we moved here and have two pear trees and I swear, hundreds drop from the tree, I have had people stop and ask if they could get a few. I say sure and give them a bag. I have canned them, but they are a pain in the but, cause ya get a bunch that will fall that are ripe, and then alot still green on the tree, and if ya are canning ya wanna get alot to get it done, since its alot of work. I did not can any this year. Also we get lots of jap beetles on fruit trees, bug spray is costly! If ya don't spray in fall and spring ya don't get much! Thats my experience.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
Dude I could never buy a plant that cost more than $15. Wow. But maybe someday, when I finish my degree. I didn't even know that there were trees more than $100 out there, LOL! My most expensive plant was an orchid, back in Germany. Only $10, and I gave it away when I moved. Maybe they took better care of it, 'cause I didn't know that that particular one needed filtered water! After four years in Germany, I had calculated the cost of plants and pots and saucers and that did add up to a lot of money though! One of my lucky friends got the entire collection.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Forest

Question

Originally Posted by jdkline View Post:
Sorry hi jacked your thread there for a minute. The most expensive plants I bought was 4 japanese maples for my husband for fathers day this year. Paid $125 or $130 for them. Bought 4 of them. But he liked them so it was all good.
Deb
How are they growing?/

I love them, but Hubby would crucify me for that price.

Most expensive I think is my $8.00 orchid which lives one and blooms 2 times a year. now it is blooming an I see another stem coming on to make it continue.. I figured out the older they are, more they bloom.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Esteemed Nut

I agree with Zuzu on this subject. I use the local nursery because they have plants that are geared for Texas. Lowe's and HD are catching on but I still won't buy from them for several reasons. Their growers use so much fertilizers to get their plants large so quick that the plants become addicted to fertilizer and water and they jones when put in a lean environment. My favorite nursery does not do this. They have a MUCH better variety,quality, knowledge, their bulk products are cheaper and they will also listen to my unending stories. They are my friends and I believe in Micro Economics. Live local buy local whenever possible. I boycott Walmart and HD as much as possible. The local hardware stores are better and often have a more complete inventory and if they are not of a national franchise, more of the money that you spend there stays in the local community and is better for ALL of us. I buy my meat and milk from local growers and I get organic products for the price of regular. The philosophy of cheap is best gets us a world full of crap, especially when it comes to food. I balance off my above market expenditure with trades. I just bought a aloe for $55 from a garden store that I repair their $16,000 furniture for them. (See money goes around.) This aloe is Hardy to 5 degrees. You wont find that at Lowes in the bargain center. Lowes and HD do not go on plant collecting trips to northern Mexico or Brazil so I like to pay $12 dollars for 4" pots from the online nurseries that do this research and assess if these plants are possible invasive also.. Support the future, not the past. I am looking at a seed bank in France that is the best seed bank of the whole world that I know of. They have the most complete collection of American Southwest natives that are not available anywhere else. I am gagging at the $150 minimum order but I still keep looking at them because I am so addicted but they don't quite fit into my buy local philosophy. They have seeds from EVERYWHERE!!!!! Natives of New Mexico, new England, New Zealand, New Guinea.
http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/sublists.htm
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM
BUBBA

you are probably correct

I agree with what you say its just that I have a limited budget so I do what I can with what I make. I too agree with keeping cash flowing in local companies, but how do we do this without big bucks? My honey works for the Hershey candy factory and may end up losing his job after 25 yrs? Moved to Mexico, closed a plant in Calif. moved to Canada? What do us small people do? I buy what I can at Lowes cause for the amount and variety it works for me. Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Esteemed Nut

Beleave me I do not have big bucks. My husband and I are self employed artist types. I look up to a teachers salery and I sure don't have that great health insurance. But I have always thought about the principle of how I spend my money. I live outside the box, that goes for Big Boxes especially. I am not a consumer except for plants. They probably are my only nonessential expenditure. My clothes come from goodwill but then I work in a woodshop. I would rather buy fewer plants then substandard plants or plants not tuff enough for my Yard. I do my annuals from seeds. I don't buy them from a store unless I think That I can get enough seed off it to make it worth my time. lately I collect so much from the great outdoors that my expenditure for plants has been postage to you guys. And in a couple of years this hardy to 5 degree madagascar aloe will be available to all you guys. I need to go to a friend and raid their garden next. She has eight aloe varieties. That is how I afford going to high dollar nurseries. 4" pots run 1.95 at my special nurseries and they have sales of .99 on specials. their 1 gallons go from 2.99 - 5.99. This is all comparable to the Lowes in my area and they don't even have the plants I am interested.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
BUBBA

well said marasri!!!!!!!!!

So what seeds are ya after? Got a good bit nothing really fancy but I agree with your thinkin, I am gonna send ya some asst, can ya hook me up? I got a nice pkg of dats from ya! Thanks so much! I got your addy will put some seeds together for ya, got to get stamps though! Ugh!
-->