Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Blossom

Hollyberry, this was one of the best examples of how important fertilizer is I've ever seen! I'm so glad you did this.

Thank you again and again for sharing.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Flower Garden

Gee thank you so much, Thegarden@902!

I was really hoping to prove the differences with pictures so that it wouldn't just be a bunch of talk about how great fertilizer is ....wanted people to actually see how great it is.

Although the point has surely been proven, the fertilized plant is still setting fruits so I'll continue to post the differences between them over the next couple months.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Blossom

I look forward to seeing it continue! I showed my husband the last photo you posted and he was amazed at the difference. He said "no wonder you're always out there fertilizing your plants!"

hehe
Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Flower Garden

Thank you again, Thegarden@902!

Lol...yes I'm an avid feeder of my plants!

This next shot that I just took a few minutes ago, shows the importance of Blood & Bonemeal on my morning glory vine that I grew from seed indoors. She's just starting to develop buds now, but the huge dark green leaves are a direct result of the B & B organic fertilizer.....

Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Bush

Just curious HBL, do you do soil testing or all of your plants potted? It's amazing the difference in the two!!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Blossom

can you expand on your knowledge of blood & bonemeal fertilizer?

Right now I'm using a 20-20-20 fertilizer that's granular and you add it to water. I've been fertilizing my roses once every two weeks with that. That's about as far as I've gotten with my knowledge of fertilizer since I'm new to the concept and it's always scared me a little bit.

Do you fertilize all your annuals and perennials as well? I've read not to fertilize the perennials as they will get very leggy. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Blossom

by the way your morning glory vine is gorgeous. What type of morning glory is that? The leaves are so beautiful even if it didn't bloom it'd be worth growing.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Flower Garden

Thank you, Cindy!

Nope, I've never once in all my years of gardening, both indoors and out, had my soil tested! I know from how the plants are performing, what they need.

Thegarden@902....

Good for you, for attempting to start something that's a little scary. People are often afraid of things that are unfamiliar so it's wonderful that you've had the courage to experiment and give it a try.

I fertilize nearly everything! Perennials can handle fertilizers just as well as annuals but I always found that an early spring and late fall application to my outdoor perennials, worked best, and weekly or every other week feedings for annuals. You will simply not believe the difference, ladies. Feed your cedars and your spruce trees too. All your trees, actually.

And let's not forget about those shrubs!

When first starting to use fertilizer... I think, less is best. You can always add more, but you can't take away what's already there. Following the directions on fertilizer boxes is very important too....so you don't toxify the plants.

I always use a 2 litre pop (I know you Americans call it soda ) bottle to mix my fertilizers into.

However, there are more than one right way of doing things and I certainly don't claim that my ways are better than anyone else's or the only way of doing things. Frankly I dislike know-it-alls who insist that their way is the only way. I'm only telling you what I do...but other people's ideas and ways, are just as worthy and correct.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Flower Garden

Oh and thank you, Thegarden@902!

That's my "sunrise serenade" vine. She's my baby girl.

I guarantee she wouldn't look half as well if she hadn't been fed so darn well. Love how Fearadyn put it, in the MG thread....Fat & Happy!

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 09-22-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Blossom

Very nice on the potted veggies. you used the bone meal on the largest pepper plant? Bone meal is guaranteed to work all the time.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks and yes, Wiz....blood and bonemeal both, actually. It also receives weekly doses of organic and water-soluble DNF (Dutch Nutrient Formula).

It's not a real pepper plant though...and very poisonous. The Latin name is Solanum Pseudocapsicum.

More update pictures soon...
Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Flower Garden

I thought this shot was best shown here because if ever there were an example of the importance of fertilizer, my seed grown multi-colored-blooms geranium, is it! It's been blooming non-stop for well over a year and a half...and it's all thanks to fertilizer and south sunlight.

Here is how it looks today....

It receives weekly doses of 15-30-15 ultra bloom miracle grow. I only use organic fertilizers however, on my edibles.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Flower Garden

PostExperiment Update:

Ok so remember the fertilized & unfertilized Jerusalem Cherry plants we were using to show the importance of fertilizer? Here they both are today.

Most of the cherries are at the top of the plant are still green but I wanted you guys to see the two ripe cherries in the middle that have turned a bright orange color!

And the unfertilized plant still doesn't even have a blossom, let alone a ripe cherry!!!

I'll take more pictures when all the cherries at the top turn orange!

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 11-03-2014 at 04:35 PM..
-->