Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Flowering Shrub

I have a question about Foxglove

If everything I have read about this plant is true, then I have some planting to do every year. I supposedly doesn't flower the first year, and only the second year plant produces flowers....

My question is...
How much of the plant do I need to protect from the next winter? Do structures need to be built to over winter them?

Does anyone have any advise.....

Scott (not sure I want these plants now) B
Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Flower

Smile

I LOVE my foxglove.....I am in zone 7 and all I do for the winter is some extra leaves on top.....As far as blooming first year some do if started early enough...Its a small flower but still nice....the second year the flowers are hugh I moved last year and so far all my foxes look OK
All mine were started from seeds by me...I have about 50 or soo this year... Sometimes seeds take a while to get going But, they Need light..or the little buggers will not come up....

I have some extra Apricot foxes if your interested..LMK

Shannon

Last edited by NJCWGRL; 03-23-2009 at 05:27 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Flowering Shrub

I am in zone 6/7, and I dont do anything to them , other then cut off the flower stalks in the fall. If you allow them to go to seed, you should get some volunteer plants too. My foxgloves stay green thru the winter, and the leaves get HUGE...they are soo worth growing.

Kym (who forgot to grow more this season)
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Esteemed Nut

They are wildflowers in the pacific northwest . I have never grown them because of the harshness of my own land, but my observation is if you have water , rich soil and sun with a tree near by., they will like you. They seemed to grow with abandon on the woods edge, and they loved slopping land. I am even trying them here under my oak in Texas with a tad of morning light on the edge of my grey water moist zone which is normal for the rest of you. Hanging around with you guys makes me want to practice a bit of environmental denial. Next I will be planting forsythia and pussywillow. That's a joke guys.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
Mine come back and reseed too. Some have been around for four years. I just removed their leaf mulch and now it's cold, grrrr. ahaha, but they don't need it. They're supposed to be hardy to zone 3 or something. If you baby them you should get more than one year's worth of bloom. Quite a few biennials may act like perennials if they are babied. Probably something to do with nutrition LOL. In the prairie, the next year's plants live off the nutrients of the breaking down root system of last year's plants....
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Acorn

What to do............

What should I do if the stalk breaks?
I bought a foxglove plant at Home Depot which was already 3' tall.
Within a week the stalk broke because we had some high winds.
Should I cut it at the break?
This is the first time I've had a foxglove plant.

Also, I reading about how poisonous they are. Some people are
having reactions just touching them. Is this true?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

Keith
Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Flowering Shrub

Keifer, if you cut the stalk off, the plant will produce new ones.

as for it being poisonous, many many plants we all grow are, and some cause dermatitis.

Just use caution, and if you have kids....make sure they dont eat any plant parts or seeds.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Bush

Iím in zone 5 too and never did anything to protect mine. I planted seeds one year and had blooms for years because I allowed them to self seed. I havenít had them in this garden. Humm I should get some again.

Hi Keith Welcome to Plant Swap from the PNW. Iíve never heard of anyone being hurt by foxglove unless they were ingested. They make digitalis from them which is used to treat heart patients. As Kym says just use caution especially with kids and pets.
Bernie
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
There is a little-known fact about digitalis: the ones grown in shade are less poisonous. I've never had a reaction to them. But those and snapdragon seeds, if I'm handling them with sweaty hands I always wash them afterward really well just in case, before I eat anything. Foxglove will usually rebloom so cutting the stalk is a good idea! Too bad the first one broke; I just had a snapdragon stem break too, after transplanting.
I think if you teach kids not to touch certain plants, that helps. Mine never have, and dogs and my cats never even go near foxgloves. I don't know why; they lay on everything else! They must just know better!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Sprout

I just leave my foxglove go and it does fine throught the winter.The third year I pull the plants, I had one in the second year that produced rosette looking baby plants off the base of the old plant, I transplanted them , 2 came back this year, rest died before fall was over.
The snapdragons I have Rockets and vareigated both have come back year after year for me in my Pennsylvania gardens.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Acorn
Recent Blog:

In my CT garden (zone 6) foxglove are one of my favorite and easiest plants to grow. I let the strongest go to seed, and they are unsightly while the seeds mature, scatter the seed and wait. I always have lots of foxglove blooming. I rearrange them in the spring of each year, and at the same time pull the older looking plants. You'll get to know which are still vibrant and which are not. I allow leaves to collect in my perennial beds for overwinter protection, and when I rake them off in spring, the foxglove are always there to great me. I highly recommend them.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Acorn

Thank you

I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I see that this will be the place to go for excellent information.

Thanks.

Keith
-->