Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Tree

How Old does a Plumeria bloom at?

Just was wondering what age a plumeria needs to be before it will bloom? Oh and same question for adeniums? or is it more a size it needs to be instead of age?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Flower Garden

That is a good question skay. I do grow plumerias but very infrequently get blooms I don't think mine are getting enough sun. I grow mine in ground, and, I dig them up before temps dip down to 30's, and put back in ground during the month of March. I will wait to hear what others say/think.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Bush

Question

Back in 2008, I was lucky and was able to pickup a branch (that was not rooted),
I planted it, and it has yet to bloom.
someone gave me one not long after, but it was a recently planted branch that was starting to root, it bloomed the following year but hasn't since.
Both are about the same size now, we moved and they were relocated, but neither seems to bloom. I may have them in wrong spot, so I tried moving them to front porch and they seemed to begin getting a fungus on all the leaves, so I moved them back to back porch but still haven't seen blooms. I haven't read up on them, so any tips on what I could/should do to get them to bloom, would be greatly appreciated.
The back porch gets mostly shaded, gets only a little sun. Maybe I should move them to a more sunny location.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

plumerias like stability, heat and lots of sun. They can bloom as early as 1.5-2 years from seed. But they do need the right conditions and they like to be fed!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Bush

Thx RR, I will find a nice sunny spot & will get them fed to see if that helps.
The gardening soil they are planted in had fertilizer in it, however I have only been giving them water, ever since I planted them years ago.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

the fertilizer in gardening soil is junk and does not amount to much of anything except a sales gimmick. Its always best to give your own good fertilizer. Plumeria like canna and passiflora are hungry plants.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Flower Garden

As River says, feed them, feed the bajeebers out of them .. I had mine for 3 years and they never bloomed until I started feeding them every week with double strength food. Like brugmansia, I don't think you can over feed a plumeria.

Mine are in pots and I overwinter them in the utility room with the hot water heater .. once the nights start getting into the low 60's at night I just stick them in there and forget about them. All the leaves fall off and I don't water them. I'll be taking them out probably in another week and start watering again.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Tree

I have mine inside, the oldest is just a year old. Do you feed them during winter as well? or just during the summer when they are outside and get more light? Can I use the same fertilizer that I use for my roses?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Flower Garden

Like I said, I just stick the pots in the hot water heater room which is dark - don't water them and literally forget about them. You can actually dig them up in fall and knock off the soil and put them in a dark closet in a bag. They won't die or dry out at all .. That's what I did until I realized I could stick them in the little room with the hot water heater. Once you take them out and start watering again it takes about a month for active growth to begin. They don't even blink. Ideally you want the soil to dry out completely if they are in pots, otherwise they may rot. I tried a few years ago to keep one going in the greenhouse and it rotted. Just too cold and damp.

I just went outside and took a picture .. this is what they look like at the moment.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Flower Garden

I don't know if they are acid loving plants - I just use the 1 tbs per gallon miracle grow but actually use 2 tbs per gallon for the heavy feeders like brugs and plumeria. I know the diehard plume growers swear by fish emulsion. I don't think that is acid.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Flower Garden

Just found a picture from last year .. here is what they looked like a month after taking them out of the hot water heater room.

-->