Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Blossom

Hen and Chick in Strawberry Pot

I just bought my first hen and chick at a nursery and it was sooo cute so I planted it in a pot on my window sill. Then it sprouted off babies like crazy and got really big so I decided to move it to the empty strawberry pot outside. I'm not sure how that is working out, though!

It is one of those big clay ones with lots of holes on the side. And not the kind of holes that come out as little cups that are handy for holding dirt in. So it was almost impossible to fill it with dirt without it all just falling out the holes! is there a trick to that?? Once I accomplished that (barely- it seems kind of haphazard like rain could wash it all out), I put the big hen in the top (although the dirt didn't reach the top) and poked some of the babies in the holes in the sides. I hope everything gets bigger.

Has anyone else did this and was it slow going at first? Did I do it right? I don't want to take the easy way out and just go buy this whole set-up already done at the nursery but mine doesn't look so neat, lol.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Forest

Lightbulb

I have some in a strawberry jar an the rest by my chimney in bad shale like soil.

Putting them in a strawberry jar. Fill the jar with soil first. To the top.
Then just poke a hole in the little holes and push the root in.. Putting some water on the soil will make it easier.............Mine stay all winter outside.
zone 5
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Bush

Send a message via Yahoo to needmoresoil
I was given a pot of hen & chicks last year. No, year before that. Anyway, I don't know what kind it is called, but it has the bowl-less holes in it. It stays outside all year. They are so hardy! Good luck filling your jar. If you are still having trouble, you could tape paper over the holes ( or just tape them) and fill the jar. Wet the soil. One by one uncover the holes (tipping the jar would help), pat the soil a little so it will stay and make a hole like bali said.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Bush

I had one of those and had a heck of a time planting it too. What I ended up doing was line the pot with newspaper filled it with soil and moistened it. When the soil firmed up some I poked holes in the paper and planted it. After a while the paper disapeared as the plants filled in.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Originally Posted by bali View Post:
I have some in a strawberry jar an the rest by my chimney in bad shale like soil.
In your chimney???

RR
Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Blossom

Thanks everyone! I should have done the newspaper thing. If this one dies (which I doubt, I just don't like the way it looks now but I am sure it will fill out) then I will do the newspaper thing. I lined it with plastic bags and then as I filled in the dirt, I kinda pushed it down so you couldn't see it and it sorta acts as a support system (for now, lol).

Originally Posted by bali View Post:

Putting them in a strawberry jar. Fill the jar with soil first. To the top.
Then just poke a hole in the little holes and push the root in..
I'm not sure what you mean by strawberry jar. You mean like a clay pot you grow strawberries in, like this?

That is exactly what mine looks like. The problem was filling it with dirt, it all just fell out. Maybe I was just trying to be too neat about it
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
That is too cool. I love my Hens & Chicks, I have it in one of those pots that are laying on its side. I have lost several of them due to the fact that it stays way to wet, so I might have to repot in a freer draining potting mix so that they stay drier. These are my first H&C and I hope to someday make a topiary with H&C.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Vegetable Garden

oh those pots look really pretty. I never even thought of that idea, hope you don't mind me copying it?

here is what I did with mine so far, I planted them in those huge saucers.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Oh you have nice crassula tetragona there and some echeveria.

RR
Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to smurfy Send a message via Yahoo to smurfy
I love hens! I have an aunt who has thousands of them, I noticed one of them was blooming and the plant was abnormally big, about 10 inches across. Had purple flowers and it died when the blooms faded.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Forest

I have some of those too.
b
Old 07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
GT - Love that planting. Really wonderful. What kind of soil did you put in there?
-->