Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Flower Garden

Hehe, Sherrie, I've got somewhere around 40 houseplants that I take outside during warm weather, but I don't mess with real big ones anymore. I can't lift the pots and my sons aren't always around to move stuff when I want it moved.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Acorn

We are currently rooting some cuttings taken from some wild black currant bushes we found growing in the woods on one of our walks. Took one cutting last fall that rooted very easily and spent the winter under lights in the basement. It was recently transplanted in the garden. Went back just the other day and took 8 more cuttings. Hope they take as easily as the last ones did.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 AM
Blossom

wow!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Flower Garden

Love to read about all the cutting plants other people are creating. Cuttings are simply fabulous!

Speaking of which...all four of my Japanese Red Maple cuttings are perked up plump this morning, with water.. I can tell they're very happy. Made it through day one with no wilt at all.

I've got them in strappled sunlight this morning in my east kitchen window. Just finished misting them all, under their glass houses.

Good luck on your black currents, Animal. Feel free to show us pictures.

You sound like you have as many houseplants as me, Tess!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Flower Garden

Lol, that's just a rough count of what I've moved outside, I've still got plenty in the house. I'm an addict, what can I say, lol.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Tree

Wow Tess, that's a LOT of plants to move in and out every year! That's what I call commitment - okay, and maybe plant-crazy too! I think it's awesome.

That's great news about your black currant cutting Animal, I'm sure you'll do great with the new cuttings too.

HollyberryLady, if enthusiasm could grow roots, your babies would be rooted in no time, lol! I have a feeling that all your TLC will pay off, I can tell from all of your pics that you have an amazing talent for growing beautiful plants.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Flower Garden

Red faceI'm blushing!

Wow, thanks Sherry!

Got my hands on another JRM cutting!!! But only one this time. I asked this nice grandmother lady who lives down the road from me, if I could have a cutting from her Japanese Red Maple tree today...and she said yes!!! She only wanted me to take one however and she hovered over me while I cut it. I know how it is though, to be protective of your prized beauties. She was really sweet and kind to give it to me. I took a good size cutting with lot of leaf nodes....from new Spring growth.

Unfortunately, she didn't know what variety her JRM tree was and said her daughter gave it to her as a gift when she moved in. It's super red and beautiful. Of course I thanked her profusely and she asked if I'd let her know if it roots.

I've now got five JRM cuttings total....from three different varieties. I'll get a picture of the newest one soon...
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Flower Garden

Whoops, sorry Sherie....I spelled your name wrong. It's because we have the same name and I spell mine Sherry!!!

Ok so this is my newest JRM cutting as of five minutes ago...

This is my only "real" JRM cutting because the other four were just taken from a couple broken branches...had to take whatever I got. But this one, I actually cut myself, as a cutting.

If none of the others root, I bet this one does. It's longer with more leaf nodes than my others. We'll just have to see.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Flower Garden

Nice looking cutting. Good luck, I hope they do great for you
Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks, Tess.

My friend had a JRM cutting begin to root within 14 days!!!

All five cuttings are looking great this morning....perked up and plump.

I've got four covered and one not covered....decided to do an experiment and see what works best. Even the uncovered one is happy today and not wilted. Wilt, can make or break your rooting success so I go out of my way to prevent it. So far so good but it's only been a couple days.

My other cuttings are looking good too....pomegranate, Meyer and Eureka lemon, wisteria, geranium, Spanish olive, Hawaiian pink ti.

Patience is the toughest thing about rooting cuttings.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Blossom

I am so glad that everyone here is as plant crazy as I am! lol My mother calls me plant lady. I have quite a few cuttings going from sherie0001, tomsrosebud, rebbul67, flowerdazed, shroomsnblooms and ashly(think that's everyone). I have a few different hoya, epi's, zigzag cactus, goldfish plant, peanut cactus, hoiliday cactus, oakleaf grape ivy, wandering jew, english ivy, polenisian ivy, and more I am sure, just can't think yet (too early). I am so happy I found this site! I have been wanting to trade cuttings for awhile, i think it's an awesome way to get new and hard to find plants and make new friends! i wish everyone great success with all the cuttings that are getting started!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upJRM cutting!

Yes IndoorGardenLover, sharing cuttings is fantastic and rewarding.

Please feel free to show pics everyone, of your successfully rooted cutting plants. Love to see them. I'll show mine too.

Here's another happy JRM seedling this morning that hasn't been photographed yet. It's from the brand new spring growth of a weeping lacey variety...

Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Flower Garden

very good on your JRM and good luck on all your hard to root items you are trying
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Acorn

My current cutting growth attempts are a few Purple Hearts (that look quite happy btw!) and a Clematis.

I'd love to get my hands on some healthy Silver Inch Plant cuttings !
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Flower Garden

Discovery

Remember I posted about my five Japanese Red Maple cuttings and how four were covered but one was not? I was doing an experiment to see what worked better....

Well let me tell you....covering them is definitely best!

When I got home from the nursery yesterday, the JRM cutting I got from that nice old lady, was drooped and wilted!

The other four, all under glass, were perked up and happy.

Of course I covered it right away. This morning it's doing much better and not wilted or drooped anymore....thank goodness. I thought I might have lost it and it is my only 'true' cutting. Thankfully, it's recuperated.

Covering them is the way to go until rooting takes place....and even then, the covers must be weaned off gradually.

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 06-11-2014 at 07:13 AM..
-->