Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Forest

SmileGardening and lots of rain zone 5.

What are you doing in your gardens now?
Lots of rain an cold this 2 weeks, but I managed to put in onion sets, and some carrots, and Lettuce.
My started plants are still in hiding indoors for the the May planting season.
The end of May is usual cut off date for frost here in zone 5....But I do sneak out some in the middle of may.. Ones I can cover.

Lets hear your plans.....
Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Acorn

Well, as usual, I couldn't resist putting something in the ground and found a half dozen columbine on clearance at Kmart, so I put those in last weekend, mulched heavily and watered them in with seaweed fertilizer and they seem to be weathering the chilly start. I didn't start anything from seed this year, so I'm just watching everything come in from last year's plantings - foxglove, delphinium and hollyhocks I started from seed last year are pushing up. I also removed a bunch of invading lily of the valley to share with a neighbor.

This is the hardest month for me to remain patient here in Boston! I have spring fever!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Forest

Thumbs up

Yep you got it right.
May miseries for the gardeners.. Sun just popped out an I had new blooms an don't know the names.. Winter threw my markers away.
I too have the hollyhocks up an running, bleeding hearts are very much up, but did freeze with the snow a few weeks ago.. Purple Iris are out and the creeping phlox is beautiful.
So just like you, I am always hoping the new day brings more suprises.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Tree

You did great, both of you.
I'm not doing anything outside, I still have a cold after moving plants to garage. Same here bali, cold and rainy, look like it's not going to change for another week or so. Yesterday I got pkg with some bare root goodies I ordered on line, went to buy potting soil and will pot it for now. As for plans, can't say, weather always mess it up for me, will see.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Forest

Best to pot newbies with the wet damp weather.......Now it started to rain again. daaaaaaaaaaaa.
Bummer.
Maybe mothers day will be a good day..I hope
Old 05-02-2016, 03:17 AM
Flower Garden

I got my new front yard bed in finally and got some super great mushroom soil. Actually I got a huge dumptruck load as there are some other areas I need it for.

I transplanted all of my good iris and daylilies and Bali's lilies that I had to move last year for the house to be put in.

Got different seeds in there and I planted out the petunias that I grew from seed this winter.

So hopefully they will all love this new soil~we will wait and see. But this nice wet weather came right on time and should help with the transplants.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

God day all,
Bali, I am not planting as much this year due to health issues..but I did plant groundcover roses along our drive that enters our front door in Honor of my mom was passed recently.
They Are Drift ground cover Apricot and Drift sweet..and they are beautiful.except when it has rained so much , it is knocking of the petals. But do come back even prettier..! A friend here at PS sent me th moeny to do this and though this was very nice of her ..actually two friends!
Also planted a few tomato plants in a big pot an they are doing awesome..so far! Other than that ..may not plant much more. But we'll see! You know how we are when we get the planting fever! LOL! Bless each of you and pray all has a successful year!
MWAH!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Forest

Smile

Feara
That sounds wonderful that your getting all new things going again around the new house.. Send us photos when that stuff is blooming. I am happy for you.

Diane , relax .. It sounds like a ground cover to enjoy.. I have never seen that.
You did enough, an praying this summer is more pleasant for you an yours.
I miss your chatter..
You too Fearadyn.
-->