Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Sprout

Garden Journal

Hello All! I decided to tell you about my garden journal & thought maybe someone would have hints or tips on how they use their journal, what they put in it, etc. Maybe give someone just starting one ideas?

My garden journal is the biggest 3 ring binder I could find. Sections are divided using labeled dividers. I have sections for each month of the year. I've gotten ALOT of month-to-month information from Don Hastings' book Month-By-Month Gardening in the South. Each month has it's own list of gardening activities that can/should be done, a page for "What's Blooming", & a page for "Activities Done This Month" where we write down the things we've actually done.

Other sections include: Flowers, Herbs, Houseplants, Vegetables, & Water Gardening. The "Have/Want List" section has a copy of my trade list so I'll know what others are seeing. I also have pictures of things I've planted with descriptions of where they're planted. The "Trades" section is where I write down any pending trades (including when someone asks me for something or I post on a thread for something). I've also made a "Trader Page" here where I've written down a trader's name, their address & real name, which gardening site they're on, & any comments I have.

I have a section called "Animals - Attracting or Getting Rid Of" for notes on either. The "Favorite Books & Websites" section is where I've written down any book or website I'd like to look up when I have extra time, that I'd like to order from, or that I thought had useful information.

"Crafts/Recipes" has nature or herb inspired stuff like how to make a cornhusk doll. The "Tips & Advice" is where I put stuff on insects & anything not under the "Animal" section. The "Catalog Orders" section is how I track my orders. I make a copy of the order form or write down the order & the date I mailed the order off. When it comes in, I write down the date & condition of the order. I make notes on if I'd order from that company again. I also make a note (or cross them off) on the "Website" section.

The "Propagation" section is for propagating either plants or seeds. I also have a "Seed Starting/Winter Sowing" section. In this sectioin I list what seeds I've started & the date I started them. This is also where I have notes on seed starting, storage, etc. I have copies of seed envelopes that I can cut out as needed here also.

The last section I have is "Homesteading/Home Maintainence". I've just started this one, but it's where I'll track stuff like when we have our chimney cleaned, & things like that.

Hopefully, this will be useful information for someone!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
PlantSwap Supporter

Thank you Kathy for sharing that with us. There are so many ways to extend our enjoyment of the garden such as photographing and recording our successes, strategies, and methods. Although I don't personally keep a journal, I do other recordkeeping such as my plant data base in which I keep track of over 350 plants I grow with helpful info about them.
( www.southeasttexasgardening.info/plantlist.htm )
By doing this, I research every plant on Google using the botanical name and learn about it as I enter them into my data base. I also remove plants that I discontinue to grow so I keep it "real time". I'm sure that is much more than most people want to do, but I admire anyone who takes the time to write a journal about their gardening experiences. That indicates they are really "into it" and enjoying their gardening. Nice posting. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Nice idea Kathy. Someday, you might polish those notes and publish your own gardening advice book.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Sprout

Thanks for the kind words! However, publishing isn't an option because I have copied from any book I've read without authorization or consent because I knew this to be for my eyes only. I don't even remember most of the books or magazines I copied from.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Sprout

I have just added links & information about garden journals on my homepage. Links to printable pages, making your own seed envelopes, etc.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, Kathy.
I'm not in southeast Texas, but southeast NC,
I think you have lots of info there which will be helpful to me, as well!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Blossom

Kathy.. That's a great idea.. I had a similar idea that I did in MS Excel spreadsheet.. I can use some of the other items you mentioned and add to my computerized one.. Thanks for sharing..
Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Flowering Shrub

Went digging through the old posts and this one is great!!

Thank you Kathy for the great ideas. Went to your homepage and I especially like the idea of writing down what it blooming when and where in a journal. If I was staying here-you can bet I'd do this with my yard. Someday I will use it. I think when I start my new yard I will do this from the very start. That will be so great!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Vegetable Garden

I am journaling, but just in a notebook, walking through the gardens once a month and writing down my observations. Really, what I would like to have, some kind of software/program to do it all on the computer very organized like Kathy does it on paper.

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Tree

Welcome to our site kathy, u go girl, I should have done that but, was 2 busy planting, Thanks for the advise though.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Sprout

Found this old thread while doing a search on myself (to see where I've been before) since I haven't been here in awhile. Thanks for the kind words about the site. Gone_Tropical, I LOVE your quote! especially the part about telling someone else where to dig. Also, I just wanted to add that the only reason I have a forums page is because I'm a hoarder & I wanted a place to put all those tidbits I'd get from books or magazines or elsewhere. If anyone has anything to add, hints, etc. feel free to add there.

P.S. I originally started a journal because I would order stuff, plant it, then forget where I planted it and/or lose the information on how to grow it, etc. So, I needed some way of keeping track of useful information in a big enough place that wouldn't get lost.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Tree

Garden journal for computer....

There is a program through microsoft office garden journal templates....http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101675311033
Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by gone_tropical View Post:
I am journaling, but just in a notebook, walking through the gardens once a month and writing down my observations. Really, what I would like to have, some kind of software/program to do it all on the computer very organized like Kathy does it on paper.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Vegetable Garden

Thanks Unicorn, this is a nice template, between then and now DH did write a database for me.
For example, I need the search option on cold tolerance, this way with one click I have a list of my plants I need to cover when temps drop to a certain degree. Also, PH levels needed for some of my plants, fertilizer scheduling and stuff like that.

Kathy, yes, I love my quotes, there is another one:
'My husband said that if I buy any more plants he would leave me.
Damn! I'm going to miss that guy.'

or:
'When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed
and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.'

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Tree

those are really funny

my hubby is really going to get a good laugh from those and needs it too the usps has been mandating him constantly,, has not had a day or two off together and this sat he gets three,, and his birthday,, so im looking forward to the us time,, blessings,,b eth
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Tree

Welcome !!!!!

Havnt see you here before so I wanted to say hello and welcome.
Your Journal sounds big!! Good job!!! I havnt gotten that detailed yet because my garden is so small. I do have my veggie placement mapped out for this year and next year. I am not a drawer but it works..lol.
We would love to see your trade list!! Share your pictures..we would love to see your garden!!!
-->