Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

ExclamationForum Guidelines

A few words about what is and is not acceptable here...

Quote :
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who, this is supposed to be a happy occasion!
I love that quote. This forum is not a place to air greivances, attack, insult or upset people. Disagreements should be handled civilly and diplomatically. Thank you.

I would like to quote a passage from another forum that I visit occasionally that sums up how I feel about running a forum:
Quote :
The House Style is simple really - we regard this place as an open house where we host an open door party. Anyone can come in and be a welcome guest here. We have hosts (moderators) who try to help you settle in, feel comfortable, etc. We expect all guests to treat other guests with respect. To disagree with each other is a good thing, as it presents different perspectives to a discussion. Just disagree respectfully.

... Go back to that 'open house party' idea, and imagine if you'd inadvertantly spilt an ashtray over. If it is a minor spill, the hosts and hostesses of this party may simply tell you you've done it so you know, and tell you where the cleaning stuff is if you want to clean it up for yourself. If it is a major spill, we may immediately clean it up and there will be no hard feelings (but we will ask you to be more careful of course). But if you continually spill stuff, and don't clean up for yourself, we'd eventually have to ask you to leave, or the house just isn't going to be pleasant for other guests, and the hosts and hostesses want to spend their time meeting and greeting and facilitatiing, not cleaning up after one clumsy person.

In short, we try to keep moderation here friendly, informal, and to treat you all as adults capable of cleaning up your own messes if you should make them. Most people hardly know the moderators do anything but encourage good discussions and a warm atmosphere, and actually, that's mostly all we do.

The good, respectful community here is because we have a good respectful comunity here, and one we are very proud of, and eager to have you join and enjoy too.
I've set up some guidelines for the moderators that includes the following:
Quote :
Taboo topics - This is a friendly gardening forum and it is supposed to be a fun place. Threads discussing religeon or politics do not belong as they are divisive.
Thanks for reading and understanding!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Exclamation

Folks, if you have a problem with another member on this site, there is a handy Ignore List you can put them on.

If you have a bad trade with someone, leave appropriate feedback.

If you get your undies in a wad because someone negotiates with more discretion than most, take some time to cool off and put things in perspective. Do not start playing coy games with teasing, taunting, thread jacking or thread shitting. If you try to make this forum a war zone, you will be shown the door.

Sorry to be so direct, but there are a few members here that have crossed the line a few times too many lately and I'm running out of patience with it. If you can't be friendly/cordial, maybe you shouldn't be here.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post:
Folks, if you have a problem with another member on this site, there is a handy Ignore List you can put them on.

If you try to make this forum a war zone, you will be shown the door.
It bears repeating:
"If you try to make this forum a war zone, you will be shown the door."
It means, do not air your personal grievances with other forum members openly on these boards. Period.

We hope that any and all member disagreements or squabbles can be settled discreetly and directly between those involved, using the Private Message system and a bit of civility - however - should that not be the case - then please follow the advice which I included in the quote above, and add that member to your Ignore List - that will stop you from receiving any further Private Messages from them.

And let me add a few words about "Private Messages";
Please, KEEP THEM PRIVATE!

The exception, of course, is that you may forward any PM TO a moderator if you feel that the circumstances call for it -
and should you ever receive any sort of threatening Private Message at our site, you are most definitely encouraged to forward that to a member of the moderating team,
***BUT***
it is absolutely unacceptable, ever, to copy and paste a Private Message from another member into any part of the open forums here at PlantSwap.net.
Doing so is grounds for administrative action to be taken against you.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 08-16-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

ArrowEtiquette - letting others chat about topics that don't interest you

First, if you are concerned that any discussion in our forums is on the "taboo topics list" (or otherwise in need of moderation) then please, please DO report it to the moderating team so that it can be dealt with.

However, please don't take it upon yourself to play PlantSwap topic policeman.

Please, don't scold, chastise or criticize your fellow members for engaging in a discussion on a topic that does not meet with your personal criterion of what makes a subject "worthy' for discussion here. When you find a discussion that does not interest you (or even fails to make sense to you), please just move along to another topic.

This is a fairly big community with a diversity of members having ALL sorts of interests (some garden/plant related, and some not), and it's not realistic to expect that EVERY topic is going to interest (or even make sense to) EVERY other member - so let's just "live and let live" (or chat and let chat, if you prefer ).

Thanks

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 02-07-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Closed Thread
-->