Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Bush

Any experience with "totally free plants"

Good morning all. Just wondering if anyone else has stumbled on a web site called totally free plants? If so did you try it out and did you really get anything? Looks like the webpage is freeplant. net. Just wonderin if thats another case of too good to be true?

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 03-06-2017 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: break link to dangerous site
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Flower Garden

It's a scam to get email addresses. It's based in Nepal.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Bush

Xeolyte, I figured something like that. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Bush

I have a spam account lol and I can take getting some crap lol (plus I use "fake" phone numbers--there not mine lol) I'll give it a try --will report back if I get anything

--note my spam account is hooked to Facebook and already gets PLENTY of spam from outher free offers some that we're crap
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

banned

They tried to join here, while ago.http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f45/new-member-3891/
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Bush

Intresting --were they trying to get donations or? I would think something serious would have happened

We shall see if I ever get the Japanese maple tree (something I think neat)
Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by biyu View Post:
(plus I use "fake" phone numbers--there not mine lol)
You know that's illegal right? Because even though to you it's just a fake number, it is actually someone else's phone number.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Bush

Guess I didn't realise that --so should I sign up for text free with voice and use that number?

On the group here called omg free stuff or the like I think it is someone said they use there area code with a BUNCH of 0s after it --is that then illegal? I dont even know if the one I use is a legit number or that or lol any 555 are lol
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Flower Garden

It's not only your email address, it's also whatever information you put in for shipping like address .. with sites like neighbor search you can look up someone and find out how many people are living at the address, their ages and and children etc., along with who your neighbors are and their information. Then you can go to any site like google maps, do a search of the address and see exactly what your house looks like and what you might have in your back yard .. type of car you drive if your car happened to be in the driveway when the pictures were taken, etc. etc.

I use a PO Box I can count on 1 hand the number of people not family who have my physical address.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Bush

Wow!! How can they get away with that? That's one heck of a lot worse than giving a fake phone number! Isn't there some way to report them?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Tree

I scanned the link and no apparent viruses are on it.

I can trace their server to their IP and then to their host and maybe report them through there. It says they have ten other active websites. If anyone has any idea on how to report them let me know.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Bush

I know about google and the people with my address are welcome to take a look at it (it's literally a rundown piece of crap house that my uncle talked my mom into buying--in our attempts to fix it up well the flooring is showing sub-floor in areas the walls of the kitchen are eighter undone or 50s type plastic tiles in yellow with black trim or so the doors are issues at times the windows --most of them are frozen closed from my mom who possibly would have failed physics HAD our school offered it thinks its the temperature change with the varnish the buffet well most of those doors are extremely hard to open one the stained glass is broken on it the celling has caved in in my room (fake celling) the living and dining rooms both have ugly trim near the top that's also in the foyer and muddroom (only it IS the muddroom) the rear doorbell dosent work the front would seriously wake the DEAD and has traumatised me on a few occasions my room has this ugly pink girlyier then girly walls it also has a clauset that's pulling space from the already small room (small like 1 twin bed square sized) that clauset has an access hole to the plumbing for the tub that I need to keep sealed or the cats get downstairs and they get REALLY dirty then

Yea I know the picture from google dosent even associate the stone hill with this house --apparently YEARS ago it had ivy running down it now it's just a huge bloody eye sore that I wanna pull out and put flowers or herbs or something into

And you thought the outside was bad! In this case the "cover" is only the "tip of the burg" or so to speak --but I guess listening to a bratty uncle cant be that bad I mean I wouldn't have learned to garden withought him --I would still be using Teflon cookware where the Teflon is coming off flaking into the food I wouldn't be eating tofu (something I love) I wouldn't like hogs or know anything about tools or cars (well I learned some car from top gear uk) my mom would have baught the baseline corolla (1.4 litre I think?) not the corolla sport (1.6 litre) I wouldn't have learned to cook or watched do much food tv I'm nearly a chef I wouldn't know how to fix anything (Bering geeky was on myown from tech issues)

Hmm I could prolly go on lol
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Flower Garden

The web site is legit in that its a bought and paid for web site. It's like the Nigerian scams .. there is really nothing you can do about it except for don't fall for it.

I did a bit more checking .. it's hosted by maxprohost.com which is also in Nepal.

Here is the info on the freeplants site:

Domain Name: FREEPLANT.NET

Registrant:
Free Plant
R. Chhetri (@freeplant.net)
Putalisadak
Kathmandu
Bagmati,44600
NP
Tel. +977.9803705098

Creation Date: 18-Jul-2008
Expiration Date: 18-Jul-2019

Here is the info on the owner of maxprohost.com

Domain Name: MAXPROHOST.COM

Registrant:
-
Chini Kaji Maharjan (@hotmail.com)
Bijeshwori
Kathmandu
Bagmati,00977
NP
Tel. +977.9803032866

Unfortunately the Find Neighbors is perfectly legal.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Tree

That's exactly what I got. I used flagfox (server finding firefox add on)

I was thinking that maybe there was a way to report the person on that host website to the leaders there and maybe they would take the websites down But then again like you said, it is paid soe it wouldn't do much.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Bush

Unhappy

Well, I think it bs that they can do it. I understand it paid for, but who wants to be harrassed by companies like these. I am so glad I asked, cause i was all psyched up to start asking for freebies! Glad I thought to ask for a change before acting! someone needs to start scamming them back and see how they like it. We need to post GIANT banners that shout out "This is a scam website." all across thier webpages. lol just blowing steam. I am a very private person, and that kinda crap just gets me torqued!
-->