Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Flower

Send a message via Yahoo to Kellyann

QuestionWhat is eating my Hollyhocks?

I couldn't find a previous post on this, but probably just missed it, so apologies if it's been posted already.

My Hollyhocks are blooming beautifully but something is tearing them up. The leaves especially but also some blooms. It especially seems to love my blacks. I am not finding the usual Hollyhock culprits though. The only thing I am finding is this tiny green grasshopper looking thing. Is this what is eating them??
And how do I get rid of them?? They're also eating the leaves of my Moon Flowers. Thanks for your help...I KNOW someone here will know!!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Tree

That insect is a Katydid, and I don't believe that is what is doing the damage. I have a lot of damage to my Hollyhocks as well, but never could tell what was eating them.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

when I had my hollyhocks this happened to mine as well and I actually gave up on them because I could not stop whatever it was. I will have to try again. I hope you can find out what it is.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Flower

Oh gosh I hate to give up on them, it's such a Beautiful plant!! Katydid's?? Really tsilentseed?? hmmm I wondered about that. Sure hate it that something can maim these so horribly!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

your bug looks like a grasshopper to me and they love plants I think.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Forest

Smile

Japanese beetles kill mine lots..
But dont think they are out yet..Dont know if they are in all states or not.

b
Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Blossom

could it be the bmsb?

the brown marmoted stink bug is really starting to move around and eat now. I was told to look under the bottom most leaves for white or powdery looking masses and this would indicate stink bug infestation... mine are just starting to get little holes I certainly hope it doesn't get to the point yours are at. I've heard neem oil is great at getting rid of pest that eat our plants as it works only on bugs that eat the plants and not bugs that eat other bugs. I haven't been able to find any in my area yet but I've just started looking.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Forest

Smile

lET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND SOME NEEM.. WHERE
Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Blossom

Lowes?

I just found this article. I don't usually go to Lowes because Home Depot and Ace Hardware are so much closer but this one says it's available there. I believe I'll be making a trip tomorrow because now my Gardenias are getting attacked.
http://www.plant-care.com/pest-contr...esticides.html
Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Flower

Ya know, I also have a huge infestation of Love Bugs and when I spray them, the brown stink bugs come running out too. I never connected the two though because I hadn't seen any around my Hollyhocks. I haven't seen anything around the Hollys which is why I am at such a loss. Guess I'll stock back up on the Neem oil and just spray and hope I get whatever it is. By the way..Bali, I find the Neem at Lowes. Thank you Christina!!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Flower

Well I went out night crawlin tonight....all I rummaged up was several more green grass hopper Katydid thingy's and a June bug on the bottom side of a leaf. ::sigh::
Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Forest

Cool

Kelly
heres how to catch nitecrawlers...

pour a bucket of warm water on the soil an see if they dont come out.
i used to pickthem.. After a rain there werer everywhere.

b
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Acorn

Do you think the neem oil will also hurt the beneficial insects? I am all for getting rid of the bugs that eat my plants but not at the expense of honeybees and ladybugs (etc)! Anyone know?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Blossom

Blooming...
I have been reading a lot about neem oil because like you I do not want to kill the good bugs I work so hard to entice into my garden. It's all about timing when you spray. Early morning or late night is the best time to spray to avoid hitting any of the good guys. Neem also works systemically in plants to keep the bad guys from eating the plants. It is a one two punch that I'm going to try. The oil will suffocate the bugs it touches and it will also keep the ones it doesn't get from chewing on the plants they are devouring. I do have concerns about spraying the plants I have for hosting caterpillars so I will just avoid those but I am definitely going to be spraying my ornamentals and veggies I want to eat. Neem is also used as a medicine for people so it's safe to consume and is considered organic pest control. My garden will be the guinea pig so to speak and I'll let you know if I notice my lady bugs, praying mantis and wheel bugs disappearing.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Acorn

Stink Bugs

They are diffinately stink bugs eating your Hollyhocks. I had them living under my flowers all season. The leaves were eaten up pretty bad. As far as getting rid of them i am not sure yet but will keep you all posted.
-->