Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Flowering Shrub

toads....

For the last 3 years (if not longer), at the beginning of fall, when I get up to let my dogs out in the morning (about 5 am) there has been at least one toad either trying to or waiting to get in! I'm not kidding! And they put up a fight trying to stay inside by rapidly heading for the fridge or stove to scoot under before I can catch them!

I do not leave my back porch light on, so they can't be attracted to the door by the bugs attracted to the light, and the only nightlight is three rooms away from the backdoor and they have a perfectly nice pond to get drinks or whatever.....

And I'm not sure (other then warmth) why they want inside, I don't use pesticides, nor do I have (other then the occasional cricket) any bugs that might draw them in.....

I'm at a loss...anyone else dealing with this type of "problem"?

thanks,
ARC
Old 09-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Tree

Sounds like you have some very determined toads aravenschild! I've had toads jump in a couple times if I leave my back door open for any length of time, but never had them waiting to get in the way yours seem to. Have you tried a big doormat in front of the door with some type of hard bristles that would be uncomfortable for the toads to be on? That might deter them. That's all I can think of to help - sure hope you can find a solution, it's no fun chasing toads around your house!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Flower Garden

I have the same problem with lizards sometimes. Lol, they like to sun right up against the house under the front door and sometimes make a mad dash into the house. The little suckers are fast and hard to catch. Had one go down an air vent, I know, yuck! Couldn't reach it so he's still in there, may he rest in peace, lol.

Maybe you could try going out another door to take the dog out. It would be worth a try.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Flowering Shrub

I don't think taking the dog out will help, lol, I think they coax them in when I'm not looking....

as for the mat, tried that, it doesn't work, I thought it would but it didn't...

maybe its just the Ozarks,... I have a co-worker who is greeted every morning (during the warmer months) but box turtles demanding bread and butter! Lol, he says if he tries to ignore them, they just bang on his sliding patio door with their shells until they get his attention!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Tree

I had the toad problem too when we first moved here. I tried everything, including making them a toad house by my front door, they thought they were family so I tried treating them as such. Lol....nothing I did seemed to work, until I started getting an armadillo problem. Now my toads stay in the garden and i have to fight the armadillos. =/
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Your house is just very inviting!!!

When they get into your house they are surely load also!
We have them also...at all doors, waiting to come in. So really understand the frustration!

Wish I had an answer for you! MWAH!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Forest

Question

I just gave a toad a ride out of my basement.. With a dust pan. I thought I killed him. But he got up an hopped. Didn't want to kill him.

Show me a armadillo.........Are they huge?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Tree

Bali, the next time I catch one tearing my yard up i will take a picture for you!! Alot of times they do their dirty work during the night and leave all the holes for me to trip in the next day! They are about the size of a smallish dog.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Forest

Question

Eek that is bad if its that big..........

Hey toads are good guys.. They eat the bugs an stuff for us.. I see lots of them here ..tiny ones an large ones.. Don't want your ama....We got stupid ground hogs that is worse.. Dig tunnels everywhere. Sometime damage our farm equipment when we hit a hole they have dug..
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Flowering Shrub

hey Gardennerd...those sound like amadillos, lol, I've lived in Missouri all my life and have never seen a toad bigger then a baseball.

And as for the toads coming inside, I just don't understand it....

They have tons of natural toad abodes (and some supplied decorative ones supplied by me), a nice shaded in the afternoon pool to socialize in, tons of available multi legged food (cause as I said I don't use pesticides) and lots of colorful cover, not to mention the veggie garden....

Maybe their coming in to avoid those demanding, flying little green, combative terrorists that take over my backyard this time of year. Geeze, it seems like I'm filling up THEIR feeders at least twice a day, and heaven forbid I go out into the backyard wearing anything red! Sometimes I think they'll attack in mass if I don't fill up their feeders fast enough!

and don't get me started on the armadillos and deer! lol
Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Flower Garden

what is your little green combative terrorists in your yard
Old 09-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Flowering Shrub

HUMMINGBIRDS!!!!!!!

lol
Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Flower Garden

well congratulations on your hummingbirds and we had a few out here after we started getting all our blooms in our cannas impatiens and glads but the last couple of days we have not seen any of them are yours heading south also
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Tree

[QUOTE=aravenschild;225658]hey Gardennerd...those sound like amadillos, lol, I've lived in Missouri all my life and have never seen a toad bigger then a baseball.

Yep it's armadillos!! Ever since the armadillos and moles have taken up residence in my yard the toads stay out in the garden!!! My yard looks like somebody has been setting off mines from the armadillos!! I'd rather deal with my toads then the dillos any day!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Flowering Shrub

Lol, I tried counting hummingbirds last night (in my backyard), I lost count at 20 and I know there are probably a lot more...

As for heading sound, I'm in southern Missouri, about 18 miles from Arkansas...

Does that count? Lol....
-->