Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Flowering Shrub

TalkingRedneck pole fence

My neighbor's dogs will not stay out of my front flower beds. Everyday I go out to see a new place theyve either stepped and smooshed the dirt or pooped (gross!) at.
I tried talking to the neighbor - they play it off as if its not their fault the dogs keep getting out (really? really?? Ive got 3 dogs myself and have renforced my fence twice but yeah they stay IN it).
I tried a small unnoticable fence - they stepped right over it..

So..the people who lived here before had a big greenhouse - we aren't allowed to have one anymore due to insurance changes..wanna guess who cut the pvc pipes and drove them 1ft into the ground/3ft high?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

LOL...you do what you have to?? Great Idea!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Flower Garden

Pretty much every town in the city or county have animal ordinances. There was a family who lived behind me with a Malemute type dog. This dog did not bark but would whine for hours (no exaggeration) which was very high pitched. I made a copy of our county ordinance and mailed it to them. I haven't heard the dog since. Check out your Animal Control Ordinance I'm pretty sure it's essentially the same as ours:

A brief look at some of Dorchester County's Animal Control Ordinances
Revised March 15, 1999
Know Your Laws!

Did You Know?
If you are annoyed by a barking dog, and the owner is not willing to correct the
problem, Animal Control will supply you with a log which you will record for one (1) week. If the barking is found to be a nuisance, the owner may be given a citation.
Nuisance
It is unlawful for your animal to:
Disturb the rights of, threaten the safety of, or damage a member of the
general public or interfere with the ordinary use and enjoyment of their
property.
Damage the property of anyone other than its owner, including turning over
garbage containers or damaging gardens, flowers or vegetables, or
repeated defecation upon the property of another.
Barking
You may not allow your dog to bark, whine, or howl in an excessive, continuous or
untimely fashion so as to interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of your
neighbors.
All Violations Are Subject To A $525.00 Fine Or 30 Days In Jail!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Bush

Up until last Friday, my neighbor had 2 dogs that barked at all hours. We could hardly hear his (illegal) roosters crowing with all that barking. On Friday, both dogs got loose, I got roughed up by both of them including torn clothes and scratches and nips which drew blood, managed to corral the smaller dog in it's own fenced area, the larger dog I lured into a pen in my yard and had Animal Control pick him up. I talked to the owner and explained the law. Even offered to go with him to get the required rabies shots & county tags and all just so he could comply with the law.

He never retrieved the big dog, and suddenly he has no dogs! They just disappeared. Poof!. Some people just don't want to spend the money or time to comply with the law. I hope the big dog finds a good home with a loving family.

Last edited by carmelita33; 03-08-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Bush

Do what you have to do, and each time you find dog poop on your lawn, grab a shovel and toss it over to their side, what should you have to clean up after their dogs.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Bush

If you place their dogs' poop on their porch step it tends to get attention.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Flower Garden

Not a good idea .. she can be charged with trespassing and littering with hazardous waste. Best thing is to contact Animal Control and let them take care of it.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Flower Garden

Minty, if you could catch one of the dogs and hold it for the game warden or dog catcher they will hold it and the owner would be fined every time they have to go and collect their dog. We had a problem with a roaming dog that lived up the street and I just lured it over to me till I could get a leash on it. Then I called the dog warden and they took it to lock up. The fines get steeper every time you have to go and collect the dog. Needless to say that after just a few times of paying fines, the dog was kept from roaming and pooping on the neighbor's lawns. Your pvc pipe fence sounds like it will help - good thing.

Last edited by SwampLady; 03-08-2013 at 12:04 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Flowering Shrub

Eh I don't like the dogs or the neighbor but don't really want to argue with him over it. The landlord has been told about it repeatedly & wants him gone anyway. So I think I will just let him (landlord) deal with it.

However - the dogs are pits & can be mean. I have already told the guy if his dogs come at/hurt any of us or our animals he WILL be burying a dog. I can let a lot roll off my back but I can also be someone he doesn't want to cross.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Flower Garden

Ewww .. 2 pits .. that doubly bad since the majority of pit bull attacks occur when there are 2 or more dogs .. pack mentality and all that. Seriously, you really should call animal control and at least get a record down as nuisance dogs so that if something bad happens there is a paper trail.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Flower Garden

I agree - there is nothing better than a paper trail when things happen.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Sprout

You are much nicer than I am. I would have strung hot wire between the PVC. Yes, you do need to get a paper trail. Then when (not if) there is a an attack/bite, there will be a paper trail that there have been problems before. I personally like most pits but the pack mentality is dangerous when there is more than 1.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to castlehaynenc
I do know that it makes a difference as to if you live in the "county" or in a "town" or "city". If you don't want dogs to disturb your property, try sprinkling mothballs around the perimeter. It really works!! I did it with a pup of mine who liked to dig up every plant I planted. I sprinkled the mothballs, and she never touched the beds again. Also, If any chewing occurs, sprinkle the surface with hot sauce. They will stay away for good!! Or, (not that I agree with it) you could collar the dog and list it for free on craigslist to good home. I have seen that happen here.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Tree

It's unfortunate that some people don't take responsibility for their animals. I live way out in the boonies with no neighbors so, I am so grateful that we don't have that issue. I hope you find a solution soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Bush

ExclamationWhat did you do today?

mintygirl,
I have been following this thread and even added a comment to put the dog crap up on the owners' porch steps., trying to be funny.

But unfortunately, today I need to add an update. (Send the little children out of the room please.)

I was taking the dogs for a walk this morning, on leashes as always. One is a puggle whose name is Jack and I have posted a video of him helping in my garden. The other is my daugher's dog, my 'grand-dog', a beautiful American Bulldog (not a pitbull) who I babysit for everyday while my daughter works.

As we were walking on a side walk, two dogs came from across the road, where they live in a cage in their yard, two Pitt Bulls - they viciously attacked my daughter's dog. In the struggle as I tried to get both my dogs away from the aggressors, I fell and was also bitten several times on my hand and arm by the pitt bulls.

Many people who were witnesses did whatever they could to help; some came running with brooms and rakes to hit the dogs; some called 911 and kept their innocent little children away from the awfull sight; one man said he wished he had carried his gun today; and 4+ vehicles stopped to aid in any way they could. An old woman almost had a heart attack trying to save my little Jack, the woman has COPD and fell to the ground totally out of breath from her efforts. Eventually, with the strangers and several neighbors, we got the dogs separated. Animal control, the Police and an ambulance arrived. I sent the ambulance to check on the old lady as I thought she had a heart attack.

The owners of the pitt bulls were called by a neighbor's son and came immediately. They did the responsible thing and surrendered both pitt bulls to animal control. They also paid for today's medical and veterinary bills and said they will be responsible for any future bills.

As much as I am grateful for them stepping up and paying for damages, how much better would it have been if the dogs had never been allowed to run loose. My daughter's dog will have scars for life; my daughter feels horrible that she was not there to help her dog. Note: the pitt bulls were NOT up to date on their rabies shots, which is a potential medical worry for me.

Please make a copy of this and give it to your local police, your animal control and your neighbors with the two roaming dogs. You have a lot more to lose than some pretty flowers.

I still think a pitt bull is a good animal and a good pet. But I would never turn my back on one of them, let along on two of them.

Thank you for listening to my story.
-->