Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Tree

Questions about my iris and slugs!

This iris I have is about two to three foot tall. When I bought it years ago I was told it was Japanese iris. In the picture I included my hand so that yall can kinda see the size of the flower. I have medium size hands and these iris get small blooms in dark blue or purple. I am colorblind so it's hard for me to tell. The leaves are very narrow and skinny. My second question is I have been finding the stems cut off like someone would cut them off with scissors. Yesterday morning I found another one like that before it was totally cut. So, I cut it off and looked at it and was very surprised to see that a slug was eating it all the way through. I have never had this problem before. How do I keep these slugs away from my iris so that they can't eat anymore of them?

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...pse127580c.jpg
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Bush

TRB, yep a japanese iris.

As for the slugs, you have several options. I personally go for the slug and snail killer bait from lowes. It's just easier if you aren't against using chemicals.

Also, you can put small dishes of beer about and they will get in it and drown. The yeast and barley are irresistible, but you have to pick out the dead ones and keep replacing with fresh beer.

I have heard of using cornmeal the same way. They eat it and then die. I've never tried this.

There is also Diatomaceous Earth, sold at feed stores here. It is a very fine powdery like substance that looks like ground dirt. It is actually fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It feels very soft to us, but to small creepy crawlies, it is very sharp and it rips them up and they die. I have used it in my chicken coop for chicken lice and mites and it seems to work. It is also used by some to worm animals, and spread about the yard and dog box for fleas.

I'm sure there are many more. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Blossom

I've read crushed egg shell around the base the plants-makes travel difficult for the slugs soft bodies.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Tree

Thank you guys! I will try one of the options. I was very surprised to see a slug eating my iris. Who woulda thought!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Flower Garden

Some slugs will eat anything around here but I find them more in the dang weeds in my yard several yards away from most of my flowers. I had to bring my Ti plant inside, it's just a small one, cause something had been eating on it. I figure it was a snail but I have saw nibbling on anything else so far. I hope I don't
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Flower Garden

Oh, a ring of salt around the plant works to, not too much so it doesn't hurt the plant but enough to leave a descent little ring around the plant.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Acorn

Another thought...

I wonder if Epsom salt would work?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Tree

Thanks guys! I am gonna start trying today and keep trying til I find the trick I like the best. I hope I can get a handle on this cause I am losing irises everyday.
-->