Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Flower

The plant pest of all pests...

What would you do with this pest? He is trying to rid my home and yard of all my plants....

He digs them, he bites them and pulls them out. Uggggggghhhhh, is there anything that can keep him away from them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(7).JPG (57.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

AWWWW Look at that cute little face!!
How could anyone ever tell him "NO!"?

If you can supervise him closely for a while and maybe use a water pistol to do a little aversion therapy?
Although - he does look like the sort of a fellow who might see that as a game,
he just might take the water pistol from you and chew that up, too.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 05-15-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Old 05-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Sprout

Lol
Old 05-17-2015, 02:47 AM
Tree

That's the prettiest pest I have ever seen. Look at his innocent face.

My 2 dobermans I had before made some damage to plats and vegetables, like sweet pepper and tomatoes disappearing, carrot half eaten and green onion all over, till I catch them red handed, I should say red pawed, I reprimanded them and everything was good till next time,
so the best solution was to keep on eye on them and keep them near me.
Rotti I have now is very good mannered and obedient boy, he don't do it but sometimes he pee under plants to mark his territory, so again I have to see him near me to be sure he is not up to something.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Flower

Little Odie is into everything. I have to follow him around like a 2 year old, my other two chows were NOT like this, they did not touch my plants. He likes to chew on EVERYTHING. I am really hoping it is a stage that he will grow out of with lots of direction and time. He's making me crazy LOL.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Flower

Zuzu, it is funny when I would see my female head toward my plants I would squirt her and she would come up to the spray and want me to spray the water in her mouth. She re-directed from my plants easily. This little fella is the destroyer....I have to keep a really close eye on him. He has the attitude "I'm a chow, I will do what I want"....they can be a stubborn breed. LOL
Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Flowering Shrub

My sister put up a fence so her husky could only get into part of the yard unless they're with her. Huskies are horrible diggers - pullers too when going for walks. I think it's probably related to having been bred for pulling sleds and living in the cold where they dig in the snow to make their beds.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Acorn

Two things that might help

I have always had dogs and plants, and these two things have helped some, though nothing has been foolproof. For digging I put down either chicken wire or fencing right on the soil before the plants come up, or around the ones that are already up. The wire seems to take the fun out of digging. This works too if you have free range chickens. And for biting the plants, I use cayenne pepper sprinkled on the leaves. It has to be replaced after rains, but it can really help. Seems kind of mean, but in my mind having lost some plants to biting (from dogs and most recently from my pet goats) desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Forest

Smile

I WOULD DOG SIT IF WE LIVED CLOSER.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote :
... And for biting the plants, I use cayenne pepper sprinkled on the leaves. It has to be replaced after rains, but it can really help. Seems kind of mean, but in my mind having lost some plants to biting (from dogs and most recently from my pet goats) desperate times call for desperate measures.

Please consider very carefully before deciding to use cayenne pepper - remember that your pet (or any passing critter) could easily end up getting a few grains in their eyes, which can cause so much pain that the animal scratches violently at their own eyes - permanent blinding can result.
Just a thought.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Bush

Pretty dog. Bet he gets hot in summer time.
I have a different kind of pest. I bought two hens for eggs and you can't imagine how fast they can destroy a flower bed with their scratching and hunting for bugs. I've had to fence them out of my best garden.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Flowering Shrub

Lol, such a cutie!

When you figure out how to keep him out of your plants please let me know! Charlie doesn't doesn't bother my inside plants, but he races through my gardens (with those great big feet!) Like his tails on fire!
-->

« Neem oil? | - »