Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Blade of Grass

Organic Pesticides

Rosyposy here, signing in. I'm having trouble locating the less noxious pesticides to obliterate my veggie garden pests. All the current dusts, sprays, etc. available are extremely toxic. I seem to remember my folks using sabadilla dust and rotenone, however can't find here. Anyone have information I can use?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

I think (hand) dishwashing soap and water is a fairly safe topical treatment (ie. spray on the bugs).
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Acorn

One of my beds is infilitrated with ant hills - does dishwashing liquid work on them as well?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

I'm not sure. I've always heard that pouring boiling hot water was the way to go with ants, but I'm not sure how your garden plants will feel about that.

You might try using the search function on the Dirt Doctor's site. He's got lots of articles about different organic concoctions for various uses.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Sprout

Elder Leaf Insecticide:
Target insects:Aphids, carrot root fly, cucumber beetles, peach tree borers, and root maggots. Elder leaves also have fungicidal properties and may be useful against mildew and blackspot diseases.
To make: simmer 8 ounces of leaves in 16 ounces of water for 30 minutes. Stir this thoroughly, then strain. Take 16 ounces of warm water and mix with 1 tablespoon of castille soap. Add soap mixture to the elder water, spray as needed. Note: Set your sprayer to a coarse or large droplet setting as this mixture will tend to plug a fine setting.
Garlic Spray
Target insects: Aphids, cabbage loopers, grasshoppers, June bugs, leafhoppers, mites, squash bugs, slugs and whiteflies. May also help to repel rabbits! Never use oils sprays on Blue Spruce as it will remove the blue waxy coating on the needles! Because garlic contains naturally occurring sulfur it also acts as an antibacterial agent and fungus preventative.
To make: Combine 3 ounces of minced garlic cloves with 1 ounce of mineral oil. Let soak for 24 hours or longer. Strain.
Next mix 1 teaspoon of fish emulsion with 16 ounces of water. Add 1 tablespoon of castille soap to this.
Now slowly combine the fish emulsion water with the garlic oil. Kept in a sealed glass container this mixture will stay viable for several months. To use: Mix 2 tablespoons of garlic oil with 1 pint of water and spray.
When working with oil sprays you want to monitor the climate conditions so your plants won't get phytotoxic burn. Use this simple equation: Take the current outdoor Fahrenheit temperature then add to this the percentage of humidity, if the total is more than 140 don't spray. Example: Temperature of 80 degrees plus humidity of 67 percent equals 147, don't spray. You also do not want to spray when temps are above 80F.
Great Fleabane: (Inula conyza) the leaves and roots of this plant make a strong general insecticide. It is also a nice addition to the perennial flower bed.
To make: Take one cup of leaves and or roots. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and pour over the fleabane, put a lid on this and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture, let cool. Mix in a 1/4 teaspoon of pure soap such as castille, spray.
Horseradish Pesticide
How about some alternative uses for this invasive plant? Target insects: Aphids, blister beetles, caterpillars, Colorado beetles, whiteflies and soft-bodied insects. Maybe even slugs.
To make: Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, add 2 cups of cayenne peppers, a 1 inch piece of chopped horseradish root, and 2 cups of packed scented geranium leaves, any kind. Let mixture steep for 1 hour, cool, strain and spray. Note: this can be made without the scented geranium leaves if you don't have them to spare.
NOTE:Penn State University announced in 1995 that minced horseradish holds promise in decontaminating wastewater and now says it may clean contaminated soils as well!
Penn State's center for Bioremediation and Detoxification reports that minced horseradish combined with hydrogen peroxide can completely remove chlorinated phenols and other contaminants found in industrial wastes. Experiments involve applying the mixture directly to tainted soils or growing horseradish in contaminated soil and rototilling the roots just before applying hydrogen peroxide!
Lime Spray
Target insects: Cucumber beetles, mites and general purpose.
To make: Mix 1 ounce of hydrated lime, 32 ounces of water and 1 teaspoon of castille soap. Use up to twice a week.
Marigold Spray (use pot marigold: Calendula officinalis)
Target insects: Repels asparagus beetles, tomato hornworms, leaf cutting and chewing insects, like leaf cutting bees on your roses and lilacs.
To make: Mash 1 cup of marigold leaves and flowers. Mix with 1 pint of water. Let soak for 24 hours. Strain through cheesecloth. Dilute further with 1 1/2 quarts of water then add 1/4 teaspoon of castille soap. Spray target areas.
Orange Peel Spray
Oranges and other citrus fruit contain natural ocurring pesticide compounds called limonene and linalool. These compounds can be used as a treatment for soft bodied pests such as aphids, fungus gnats, mealy bugs and as an ant repellant.
To Make: Pour 2 cups of boiling water over peelings of one orange. Let this steep for about 24 hours. Strain the mixture into a glass jar and toss the peels into the compost. Use this liquid as a spray mixing in a few drops of castille soap on target insects or on ants and their nests. Smells nice too!
Pepper and Herb Dusts
Target Insects: General
Peppers and certain herbs contain the compound "capasaicin" which will irritate and repel many insects. Cayenne, chili, dill, paprika, red and black peppers can be used as dusts. Purchase the cheapest you can find, or grow hot peppers and dill in your garden. Dry them and pulverize them in a food processor. Sprinkle on moist plant foliage and the surrounding soil.
Pepper Spray
Target insects: All-purpose
Just like the pepper dusts a spray made from hot peppers will release the capasaicin compound to repel insects.
To make:Mix 1/2 cup of finely chopped or ground hot peppers with 1 pint of water. Let this sit for 24 hours. Use as is for a soil drench application or strain the mixture through cheesecloth until you have a clear liquid. Add a few drops of castille soap and use as a foliar application. Keep away from your eyes and skin when using.
Tomato or Potato Leaf Spray
Target insects: Repels asparagus beetles and flea beetles.This will kill earworms and maggots and acts as an antifeedent for other insects.
Plants belonging to the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes etc.) have large amounts of compounds called "alkaloids" in their leaves. These compounds are water soluble and can be extracted by soaking chopped leaves then using as a spray. The toxicity of the alkaloids may account for only part of their effectiveness. The sprays may also attract beneficial insects that follow the chemicals in these plants as a cue in searching for their prey.
To make: Soak 2 cups of chopped tomato leaves in 1 pint of water overnight. Strain this mixture then add another pint of water and 1/4 teaspoon of castille soap a sticker. Spray foliage and soil as needed.
Sugar Drench
Target insects: Bad nematodes! Sugar also adds trace minerals to the soil.
Mix 1/2 a cup of sugar with 1 gallon of water. Stir to dissolve sugar. Pour on the soil around plant roots where you have had nematode problems or use as a treatment prior to planting.
Wormwood Spray
Target insects: Aphids, caterpillars, crawling insects and slugs. May repel snakes.
Caution is advised when using wormwood sprays around plants as it can inhibit growth. Best results are obtained when spraying directly onto the target insect when possible.
To Make: 8 ounces wormwood leaves 4 pints of water 1 teaspoon castille soap
Simmer wormwood leaves in the water for 30 minutes. Stir, strain, and leave to cool. Add the castille soap to wormwood mixture and use to spray.
Yarrow Tea
Target insects: Aphids and soft-bodied insects. Also an excellent plant tonic!
Yarrow has insecticidal properties and is also an excellent natural fertilizer. Try mixing this with strong coffee to make a more powerful brew. Caffeine makes the insects hyper and confused. Yarrow is also one of the ingredients used in Golden Harvest fertilizer.
To make: Soak 1 cup of yarrow plant pieces in 16 ounces of water for 24 hours or more. Brew it in the sun like tea. Strain and mix with 1 gallon of water. Mix in strongly brewed coffee and 1/4 teaspoon castille soap. Spray on aphids and other soft bodied pests every 1-2 weeks. Or use as a preventative.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Blade of Grass

Pesticide information

Thanks for such a plethora of information. I'll print the info out and keep it handy. Where on earth did you glean all that from? Again, thanks so much.
Rosyposy
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Acorn

LightbulbAnt killer

Hi, I have had great luck with vinegar for ants. It will even kill the queen. Be careful of the plants, it also works as a herbicide.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Sprout

Hi there

I will certainly give the vinegar a try as I have a serious ant problem at the moment. Gosh they are all over, even in the swimming pool (the dead ones floating on the pool surface) and the live ones on the lawn, in the flower garden, everywhere else imaginable.

I am just a bit worried - vinegar is acidic - will it perhaps burn my grass??
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Blossom

Kathy547, nice job on researching and putting together all that info.. Definitely gonna try that horseradish one since I keep getting white fly problems every winter (like right now).
Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Acorn

I have found that cinnimon sprinkled on ants and then watered in will do them in quickly. I have used it on fire ants and it works.
I have also used it sprinkled around areas in the house where the little sugar ants get in, and it repels them, and has a good smell for us.
I had read this online somewhere a few years ago, and tried it, and found it very useful. Most of the local dollar stores have it 2 for a dollar, so it is cheap too.

It also does not affect my other plants badly.
Brenda
Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Sprout

Great Tip Bgchavis
I knew about using cinnamon to treat brown rot problems, especially on orchids, and more specific on paphiopedilums.
But now I will also try it on ants. Thanks for this one.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Acorn

I didn't know it treated brown rot!!
Thanks for that one.
Brenda
Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Sprout

A friend told me about this one:
Mix a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar with 2 boxes of borax (20 Mule Team) & sprinkle around ants to kill.
I haven't had time to mix this up & see if this works but I've bought the borax & sugar. She swears to this so I'll try it. Interesting about the cinnamon. I'm going to try that too. As for my research, some days I have time to look up & research stuff so it's no telling where I found that information. I don't promise it works, I just pass on the information. What works for one person may not work for his neighbor.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by Kathy547 View Post:
A friend told me about this one:
Mix a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar with 2 boxes of borax (20 Mule Team) & sprinkle around ants to kill.
I haven't had time to mix this up & see if this works but I've bought the borax & sugar. She swears to this so I'll try it. Interesting about the cinnamon. I'm going to try that too. As for my research, some days I have time to look up & research stuff so it's no telling where I found that information. I don't promise it works, I just pass on the information. What works for one person may not work for his neighbor.
what's borax made out of?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Acorn

This is easy all natural. Use one teaspoon of tabasco or other hot sauce. oddly enough this is all natural made with cayenne and vinegar. Dilute it to one spray container add some lemony dishwashing liquid (a teaspoon) and you have yourself a very effective pesticide. You can just use the hot sauce with the water that works too. It just may not work as well on aphids or the smaller insects for those you need lemony dishwashing soap

Tags
organic gardening, pesticide
-->