Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Sprout

Neem oil?

I have been fighting a never ending battle with japanese beetles in my gardens. I have been using hard pesticides on my roses this year and it seemed to be working great. They haven't eaten all the foliage on my plants yet. They did however devour every new bloom on my rose bushes this week, 2 wks before recommended reapplication, which makes me angry. HULK SMASH!!

I had an old high school friend recommend Neem Oil. I would love to trust his know how on this but honestly I've never even known him to keep a single house plant much less do any outdoor gardening but I haven't seen him in 5 years either and in that time a lot can change. I am hoping to find a little more insight from people I know spend a lot of time in their gardens. It is expensive and I don't throw money around easily but considering I have several hundred dollars worth of bulbs, rhizomes & roots coming this fall for next years gardens this is a fight I must win. I've also heard they like cucumber and squash as well so I need to plan to protect my veggie garden too.

I do like the idea of an all natural pest deterrant as I have 3 children who love to stick their noses in roses and inhale as deeply as they can and I'd love for whatever I use to be able to pull double duty and cover my veggie garden as well. I planted some onions the other day around my rose bushes to be companion plants because they ward off so many pests and are beneficial to roses in many ways but I am not sure if they will keep these blasted beetles away or not.

Long story short I'd love to hear from you if you have used Neem oil before and hear how it worked.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Blade of Grass

Hi,
I found this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/173386-neem-oil/
talk about Neem Oil.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Sprout

Very interesting reading, thanks for the link. It seems a little bit like a double edged sword. It won't hurt bees or ladybugs but can be damaging to earthworms. It will only kill what is feeding on the plant foliage and is an effective fungacide as well. I am going to have to give this a lot of thought, perhaps make a pros vs cons list. My earthworms are important to me. Anytime I dig a new bed for flowers or veggies my kids stand by and look for them so they can move them before they get hurt, then after it's all dug up/turned we put the worms back in the garden.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Acorn

Planting garlic bulbs around roses and fruit trees. I bad holes in rose bud, than planted garlic bulbs around it no more holes and roses were able to bloom nicely.
-->