Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Bush

name the pest?

i was gonna pull the pits from my attempting to start some avacadoes fer the fun of it theyve been in an EXTREMELY moist enviroment and in 2 of the 3 i find little white worm-like things

its plastic bottles potting mix that i havent had isasues with or peat moss i havent had issues withpossibly a combo both trace farm and fleet estate brand baught last year stored inside so i dont know where theyd come from i did have i think 9 total of some green striped i think someone said tomato hornworm (great im starting to freak out about odd things on me) but it looked different to me i do not think the bug i had got into the soil mix i think it came from of all things BASIL i was growing at uncles (that one at the time--last year) i think i had given it a quiick once-over before bringing it over here to root even rinsing it off i think in total i trapped like 9 of them some different sizes but genrally i think like a quarter inch wide and like 1.5-2 inches long (like a half cm wide and 5-7 cm long) and they appeared to "inch" along

at present these look like a little mass os white 2mm (if that) wide and 1-2 cm long (i use whatevers "closest") i have taken and sealed up all 3 bottles as best i could with scotch type tape

i poured some of the excess water from one BEFORE i saw the worms into a pot so after i saw them i added a half teaspoon of sevin that had been frozen/stored away from both the cats and garden

actually atm these seem to remind me loosely of something i saw in "lucky bamboo" that i had at my uncles house that id added milorganite to (yet i havent used any milorganite here in simply ages literally sence last year never added it to soil mixes pure that i recall) those STUNK in the bamboo these? i dont notice any stink (i have a bad nose)

any thoughts on what this is? how i should deal with it?

i have a mini-fly proublem as well (i think theere smaller then fruit flies) there seen maby 5-7 times a day in this small house in literally every room but i nolonger find them more then a minor annoyiance and i have a few traps in place to control there population (mostly water-traps one whats left of juce from a chocolate peppeer another sugar water and they even fall into plain water/fertalised under my plants so theere not near as bad as they could be) could these bugs be related? i would suspect not becausse ive seen the flies really small not worms before today
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Tree

Sounds like you have fungus gnats, and the "worms" could very well be their larvae.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Bush

based on one page (organic gardening) i have a few questions or so

is there a chance the adults could be about 3-5 times larger? and not look like a mosquito? (i havent had a case of fruit flies lately but the flies im fighting do look much like them i think my mom called them mini moths?

the worms based on the one page are larger that page says 1/4 inch long (ok im loosing it LOL) i think they were opaque white and i think i would have seen black heads?

do they grow only where mushrooms do? when they do? i have had temps right around 55*f lately (i freeze the thermos like 20 feet away claims 62*f) no mushrooms growing lately
Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Bush

ok edit/update they looked thinner but close enough to freak me out so i just ran and threw all 3 bottles outside in the trash

as of about 6pm ZULU time its 7c with a -1c windchill outside (live atc.net kmke) so hopefully the bugs go away soon --im dooing my best to start and keep seedlings healthy i havent noticed things failing but im not that good with seeds LOL

looking in water (the traps) and im wondering why they didnt seem semi mosquito like before?
-->