Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Sprout

My rock garden is swarmed by yellow jackets

I have yellow jackets in my rock that covers underground spring .. Make the 2nd nest the other was in the yard this one is right in middle of my flowers. I have the attractant all around but doesn't help.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Blade of Grass

Send a message via Yahoo to Donna Dean Send a message via Skype™ to Donna Dean
They have probably built a nest in the rocks. They really like building them on the ground for some reason. This is the time for them to be nesting and the will probably have young so they will be really aggressive. I usually have to burn them out. I don't know that the protocol is in your area about burning but that is the only way I have found. I am severely allergic to any kind of wasp so when I find them, they have to go. It is a bit of a double edged sword, however, because they are natural predators of non-beneficial bugs.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Flower

Talking

"No Pest-Hornet & Wasp Killer" has a 20 ft spray reach, kills on contact and will keep killing the 1's that come back to the nest for about a month. then hit em again if they come back. if you can see the hole spray it. will usually stop them from coming back.
cliff

my photo bucket pics file:///C:/Users/cliff/Documents/Dizzy%204%20Tizzys.htm?page=1
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Flower Garden

Be very VERY careful! Locate the entrance to the nest and hit it at night after 10pm with the hornet and wasp killer. You'll want to practice a bit to make sure you know how to hold the can correctly so the stream goes into the hole. Don't go spraying that stuff unless you know exactly where the entrance is. These guys will chase you!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Sprout

That's the think I'm not sure of the entrance I've been watching and attempted to burn them last night but it ended up not being the spot
Old 07-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
If they are in the ground, they are mud douber. You can just destroy the nest, take your shovel and turn the over the dirt. More than likely they will not rebuild in the same place. They are not a aggressive wasp, but still take cause. Ware long sleeves and pants .

Check out my swap list!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Flower

Originally Posted by nyrak33333 View Post:
If they are in the ground, they are mud douber. You can just destroy the nest, take your shovel and turn the over the dirt. More than likely they will not rebuild in the same place. They are not a aggressive wasp, but still take cause. Ware long sleeves and pants .
Karyn!!
NO!! NO!
Yellow Jackets nest in ground also!!! If that is what they seem to be , Don't be digging around them. Mud Daubers totally different species.

Wendy!!
Just try to locate where they are coming out of the ground, Then Saturate about a 2 ft. square around that spot with the No Pest stuff. What you don't kill outright the rest will most likely brush against and take inside the nest.
May have to do it a couple of times.
But stay away at least 10 ft from the area you spray!!!
cliff

my photo bucket pics file:///C:/Users/cliff/Documents/Dizzy%204%20Tizzys.htm?page=1

Last edited by callanh; 07-05-2012 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: add a name
Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
I didnt know that Wasps were in the ground, they dont make there next with dirt. it is a cone. any way here is a pic of a wasp

this is a mud Mud Dauber who does build there nest it the ground and out of mud.

They look similar and a mud dauber is a type of wasp here is a ehow video on mud dauber and getting ride of them
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...4iwpRflFoYbuKQ
I did read on ground digging wasp as well and your rignt! there is wasp that dig in the dirt!
this is what they look like

here is a page on them
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...aG4YZwpWHm8cng
from what I have read there are passive aggressive as well. Wendeenorthcutt is from my neck of the woods Tennessee and I believe it Mud Dauber however there is always a change you can get stung. so do ware protective clothing, or better yet if your worried call a exterminator. bees, wasp, etc can since panic and that's not a good thing when your in contract with them.

Check out my swap list!

Last edited by nyrak33333; 07-06-2012 at 02:40 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Sprout

I have killed 3 nest in the ground . One while mowing last week they swarmed out and stung all of us. It is a comb they had in the ground we burnt them out but this latest one they moved into where an underground spring with my plants. But I sat out there with a can of spray and killed most of them. But didn't want to kill my plants . I will probably end up moving my flowers if they stay.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Sprout

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. It's kinda scarey to let the kids and our two small dogs out in front knowing they are out there swarming
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Flower Garden

You might want to call you local agricultural extension service and ask for their advice as well. Here is a link to their page:

Grundy County Extension
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Bush

I know this is an old thread, but the wasps may still be a problem.
Here is a no-poison way that we learned when we had an infestation.

You create a torch of rags wrapped around a tall stick, add a bit of lighter fluid, plant the stick firmly in the ground about 6 - 10 feet from the nest.

On a very dark night, turn off all the lights in the area, pick a night when there is no wind, you light the torch and then very quickly you disturb the nest and RUN as if wasps were chasing you! We actually set up a 4 x 8 piece of plywood to hide behind some distance away in a dark spot - kind of like in the bullfight arena.

The wasps will come out of the nest and attack the first thing they see - which will be the lighted torch. And they will burn up.

Do not go back into the area until the next day.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Acorn

My experience from the yellow jacket capital of the world...

Several years ago I bought a small tract of land on Monteagle Mountain in southeastern Tennessee. Now, yellow jackets are so serious there that is the name of the local high school "mascot". After building a small cabin there in the middle of the woods I began clearing underbrush only to be attacked by yellow jackets on several occasion--you've never seen anybody come out of a pair of jeans so fast as me when 6 or 8 of those little aggressive buggers flew up my pant legs. Now, the folks on that mountain know a lot about getting rid of yellow jacket nests--which, by the way, are built underground--so I got together a vigilante party from around the area, and we convened at my place late one evening. These guys were adamant that one should go after these buggers right at dusk on a cloudless night. Why cloudless, you ask. Those are the nights that dew falls and ALL the yellow jackets will head for the nest BEFORE dew fall because if dew gets on their wings they simply can't fly. So we were careful that night to watch exactly where the little darlings disappeared into the ground. That makes it obvious where the entry to the nest, AND it being cusk it was still light enough to see the little flying demons. Now, my little group of experts were armed to the person with good sized cans of charcoal lighter fluid--it's not as volatile as gasoline but more flammable than kerosene or diesel fuel.

Now, the story I'm going to tell you may give some of you nightmares, so read on with caution. I should note here that in addition to an ample supply (no less than 6 or 8 good sized cans of fuel) my posse was well armed with garden hoes, pick axes, shovels, and other digging and grubbing tools. This is how they proceeded.

When all our little buggers appeared to have gone into the nest and had a few minutes to settle in, the biggest, burliest of our crew stepped forth and, with obvious glee, shot a steady stream of lighter fluid into the very spot that we all agreed was the entrance to the yellow jacket's nest. As he stepped back a pace or two, he flicked a lighted match to that same spot with deadly aim. As the flames flared up and then smoldered out, I though, there, that's that. Not so fast, another of the good old boys cautioned, you gotta dig out the nest, soak it with lighter fluid and burn the larvae or they'll be right back. So one of the fellows took a hoe and started digging out the nest's opening. Another soaked with lighter fluid what looked like any big wasp nest--but it was underground--and somebody else flicked a match onto it. This continued for over an hour as layer after layer of yellow jacket nest was uncovered, soaked, and burned.

I promise you that I do not lie. There were 11 or 12 layers of nest in that hole. There had to be literally thousands of yellow jackets and their larvae in different stages of development. I have to tell you after what I saw that night I spent every night for weeks spying out yellow jacket nests on my little 4 1/2 acre piece of mountainside and the unoccupied land that adjoined it. I can't remember how many more nests we burned out but I almost went broke buying "the guys" cases of beer. But I finally felt safe again walking around my little piece of heaven. But let me say this much, we never encountered another nest of yellow jackets even close to the size of the first.

I am convinced that getting rid of yellow jackets might not be for the novice or the faint of heart. Oh, and my service as a yellow jacket eradication can be bought for the right kinds of flowers and a plane ticket.

As a side note--and a pretty funny one at that--i just noticed that a post a couple back includes a link to the Grundy County, Tennessee Ag Extension office as a good place to get advice on this topic. Well, folks my little piece of mountain was in Grundy County, Tennessee. Now, isn't that just too coincidental!

Last edited by Nonnie; 05-14-2013 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: To add an amusing post script.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Acorn

Hi, Beersheba Springs, from the yellow jacket capital of the universe. Love your neck of the woods. I used to go to 4-H camp there as a counselor. Good times!
-->