Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Acorn

Mole help?

Typically, I don't care about the little holes in the yard, but now they're in my beds. I went outside to check on my asiatics today (which were about to bloom) and two of them have been gnawed beneath the ground and fallen over. Needless to say, I am rather aggravated. I JUST got finished with my battle against the slugs and now I have some other pesky creature doing a lot more damage. Any surefire tips/suggestions? I need to get rid of them ASAP for I fear they'll take out the rest of my asiatics and other bulbous plants. If pictures would be helpful, I'd be more than glad to take some. I stuck the cut-off plants in a vase of water hoping they'll still be able to soak up enough water to bloom.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Blossom

Hi Joshy,
I feel your pain! We have moles and voles and what caused your damage is a vole. Voles eat plant roots. Moles eat worms. Both make tunnels but the voles are the bane of any gardeners existence. The only methods I've found that really work for me are mouse traps baited with apple pieces. I stick about 15 around in a bed I know they are feasting in. I put them in (just at the top) those holes which are certainly the vole holes because that's how they find the plants they want to destroy. You have to check these no less than everyday and rebait as necessary. You'll be super satisfied when you catch one. One day I caught three in the same hole three separate times in one day. I've also used a concoction of rat poison mixed with nuts and seeds that I will pour down those holes then cover them so the other animals don't get to them. No idea how this works but I have reduced the population enough here that I'm only loosing one or two plants a month now rather than one or two plants a week. They love bulbs and tubers.. the only thing I know for sure they stay away from are daffodils. You have to be really aggressive if you want to get rid of them because they are like mice.. they multiply quickly! Moles not so harmful but they do make the tunnels for the voles to run around in. We actually pay a company to come out once a month to put out bait and traps for the moles. We had them so bad when we first moved in you couldn't walk through the yard without stepping on a soft tunnel. I nearly broke my ankle one day so I would rather not have the moles putting obstacles in my way. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Forest

Some one said put chewing gum in the holes.. they hate gum??
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Sprout

I"m not sure if it's true or not, but for moles and voles I read that if you grow caster bean plants (which have beautiful purple leaves) you put a bean in their hole and they eat it and die immediately. Castor Beans are what they use to make Ricin which is a poison. This is commonly called the mole killer plant as well. I'm lucky to have 2 kitties who love to hunt them every night, and then bring their trophies in to momma, so they can watch me flush them down the toilet. I must flush about 200 voles per year.lol My brother and sister kitties are in competition as they proudly burst through the cat door loudly announcing their accomplishment with muffled meows (due to the Vole in their mouth) lol. If it's alive they take it right to the bathroom now, so I can take it from them with a pair of long tongs and drop it in the John. They won't leave the bathroom until they hear the flush. lol
Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Bush

I read one tip that said to put your rose bush cutting in the holes - the critters don't care to climb over the thorns and move elsewhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Sprout

Goes on the search for caster bean plants immediately!!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Blossom

Woo try Moth Balls in the entrance when you see them... Don't cover or collapse them. I have also been told to put gum inside. To make sure that the tunnel you are going to put things in is active. Collapse it & if it's back then next day those are the ones you can put things in.

Moth Balls seemed to work for me but now I got the guys back in the back yard & will have to try again. So if there is a better way or a sure fire way to keep them away I would love to know about it........Good luck Woo
Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Flowering Shrub

I have both I think and have just bought "sure stop gopher gasser" A friend says it worked well for him, so I know the active holes I have and will put it in and light the fuse and then cover it and the toxic gases killes the varments! He says you can see the smoke in some spots! I will let you know how I make out.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Blossom

Vette I wish I could get "sure stop gopher gasser" here where I live but they don't sale it. My friend said that it works great & was the only thing that got rid of his when they lived in San Frascio .............. So far not 1 store I can find sales it in FL

Good luck everyone on getting rid of there verm........ Let us know what works please
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Sprout

Mole & vole help

I live in Florida too. I have info for you. You can purchase it online at Home Depot and pay to have it shipped to your home. They don't stock it in the local stores. You'll pay about $5 and some change for shipping. The item I found sells for $7.99 plus tax & shipping but depending on your problem - it may be worth it. It's called Gopher Gasser. Good luck. Let me know if it helps. I have 2 cats that love to catch them and bring them in hoping that I will cook them for supper lol They get mad when I flush them down the toilet. I wonder how that effects my septic???? humm??
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Blossom

thank you so very much
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Flowering Shrub

I gassed them last night and then it rained so I dont know how mant I got! Amazon also carries "the giant destroyer" for about 7 to 8 bucks also
Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Sprout

vette lover .... it will definitely be interesting to see how or if it works if it does I think they may need to order more stock
Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Blossom

they wont let us buy it in FL. My friend tried to buy it online & get it shipped & it wont allow it at all
Old 11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Flowering Shrub

I am in FL. and I got it from Amazon.com
-->