Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Bush

Mini moths inside

Anyone know how to get rid of them? I have some standing water from my self watering seed starting kit so the stuff in there will be happy an all I also have a lot of dead plant materal that I know I need to clean out but havent bothered to lately my mom (the person that wants to rip away my edibles for flowers that she wont spend any time in!) wants me to get rid of *everything* that's in there from my like 20 aloe plants to my 2 orchids claiming I have enough plants outside but then I'll get that itch in december and it will be crazy all over again

I had misted with dawn that did nothing for the white mold snow on my slow containers (not that she ever saw that!) so I switched to misting with mouthwash and they about quadroupled in numbers I don't even know what they feed on? And I want the aloe to still be ok for medicinal use --do what will get rid of these? So that I can keep growing stuff inside and not fat an earful at every chance?

*note* dish soap is dawn mouthwash is cheap from aldis
Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Flower Garden

Diatomaceous earth. Just dust everything with it - don't forget bottom of the leaves and surface of the soil. It's totally inorganic and non toxic .. the food grade stuff is fed to animals for worming.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Bush

Where would I find it?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Flower Garden

Do you have Ace Hardware where you live? That's where I get mine .. you can also find it a feed stores or order it online.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Acorn

Are these actual moths or gnats??? I have used DE in my soil, but this only works when they hatch in the soil, which is where I am assuming that they are! I have had to use this just this week for gnat larvae control. However it doesnt stop the adults. I have to use the yellow sticky papers on my shelves to catch adults as well. For moths, I use soapy water in a bowl, make sure there bubblesin the bowl Moths are attracted to light and the bubbles made from the soap, and DE in the soil to stop the babies
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Bush

After we bombed we found acouple strange bugs in the house (mom had a centipede I had some strange thing in here that seemed like a shrimp was 1cm wide 8 cm long antena were 2-3 cm long I think at first it looked like a clump of hair or something on my arm I only saw it for a second) well then we bombed the whole house so now I'm in reporting everyone treating those I can't repot (dip in dawn/water mix)

If someone can I'd what I saw from my description I'd love to hear/see
Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Bush

maybe a silverfish? those are kinda shrimp looking..
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Bush

Possibly I literally only saw it a few moments before I realised it wasn't what I thought it was and it ran off it seemed to have a clear body or a very light one

Would a bug fogger kill any of them? How lol would it or a centipede or lol even carpet beetles (as i know we had tons of those last time we bombed) get into this 1920s house? Mom allways seems to claim its my plants but I think not --I remember seeing a couple centipedes from time to time in uncles 1970s house but never like this house had when our ac went out (which was when we had everything) I know once or 2x with his house they literally came out the drain but filling those times it was the tub typically sent them back --but I don't think that's allways the case with this house?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Bush

i know those home foggers dont kill everything a lotta the bugs can sense the poison and will move to where its safe
i dont think its ur house it prob has something to do w the weather thats why ur seeing more bugs
Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Bush

It has been a very dry summer but when the ac went out the house got very hot and muggy very fast I honestly don't know how people survived in the 20s but then they prolly didnt have the fat we do today

So lol what good is bombing if they'll run before it works?
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Flower

moths

if you have bird food out it can attract moths ,i had them and its a burger to get rid of the moths, I vac everything curtains sofa and look on your ceiling ,they lay eggs all the time .you can also get that sticky paper and you may put a red dot on it cause i think there attracted to red for mates .
-->