Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Sprout

QuestionKeeping the neighbor's cat out...

Has anyone had any luck using organic means to keep a cat out of the garden? My neighbor's cat comes over to use my garden beds as litter boxes. I'm really not thrilled with that. He's welcome over for any other reason, but needs to find some other place to do his business.

I've read that pennyroyal is a good deterrent, or black or cayenne pepper sprinkled around... I've even read making a strong tincture of garlic and spraying it on the lawn will keep him out of the yard altogether. (Not sure I want to go that far though...)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't tried anything yet, but he's been coming around more and more lately and need to do something.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I wish I had a good suggestion for you, Audeve - my neighbor's cat 'visits' my yard, too.
I hope that someone can give us both a great idea that will work and be a safe option for wildlife and kids.

One thing I will say, I steer clear of products (red pepper particularly)
that would likely cause animals severe eye pain or irritation.
If it gets on their little feeties, they can transfer it into their eyes just by scratching an itch on their face.
Most of us know how badly that can hurt, if we've ever done it ourselves.
We can wash it out, but the critters have no way to relieve the pain
and will sometimes blind themselves, trying.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Acorn

I used garlic spray and sprinkled black pepper on my flower area only, to deter a nieghbors cat from using it. It worked, and he found another spot.
I told the nieghbor I was doing this, and she let me know he had no bad reaction to it, other than some sneezing, the first time he tried the area, after I put it down. I never had to repeat it, as he avoided it from then on.

That has been years ago.
I am out in the country now, with dogs here, so cats are never a problem.

I wouldn't recommend the red pepper either, for that. I do use red pepper spray on some of my plants here for bugs. an plant eating critters, but wouldn't ever put it on the ground where it could be stepped on, and transfered to paws.

Hope you have some luck with this.
Brenda
Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Sprout

I honestly hadn't considered the issues with the hot pepper... Ouch! I won't do that to the kitty.

Since you've had success with black pepper, Brenda, I think I'll give that a shot for now. Gonna have to hit Sam's Club on the way home for the "economy" box... Did the garlic smell linger for long?

Thanks a million for the suggestions so far!

-Audrey
Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Flower

Keeping Cats out og flowers

The garlic & pepper sounds good to me . My own cat Fancy likes my garden beds not that she does not have other places to go
How do I mix it? With water? Please let me know formula.
Thank you so much.
Shannon
Old 03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Forest

I have a dog an he keeps the cats under control. Others dogs also..
I am out in the country..
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Acorn

I put a clove of garlic into a blender, and chop it up, then add about a cup of water and hit the highest setting for a few pulses. I then fill it up with more water, and pulse again.
I put that into a spray bottle, add a drop of dish soap, shake, and spray the plants and ground. ( I add the red pepper to mine here, but just for use on the plants. That deters rabbits, squirrels and deer from eating them, as well as many types of bugs. I also plant marigolds near my veggies to run off bugs.)
The garlic smell lingers for a few days.

I shake the black pepper on top of the ground, around the whole area.
This works to keep the dogs off of my garden, and my dogs keep the cats off..lol
But when I lived up north, and had no dogs, I used it for the nieghbors cat.

Also, the black pepper is what keeps dogs and cats out, it makes them sneeze, when they sniff the area.

Dogs like garlic, so that won't deter them alone.

Brenda
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Flower

Thank You I'll try it this week. I have a collie but,he is my house dog & he is trained if you have to step over something you dont go there. Wish Fancy would learn that. I love her anyway She is my mole getter
Shannon
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Sprout

I keep telling my boyfriend how much I want a dog, and then he reminds me that I barely have time for the dragon, bird, and garden that I have now... So I'd probably better refrain. That would definitely be my first choice as cat deterrent though!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Forest

Question

Even a duck would be a garden pest.. The robins are.
Eat my berries.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Sprout

more info...

I kept reading on the internet and found a couple of sites for more info. Has anyone tried the Jerry Baker idea or anything with citrus?

Here are the links I liked:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Cat-Repell...Garden&id=6554
http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/cat_l...soutofyard.pdf
Old 03-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Forest

Question

Not I .

I have Jerry's book tho.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Flowering Shrub

I have outdoor kitties..

I don't like them usng my garden, flowerbeds, or the neighborhood to do their business so I keep a fresh litterbox in the garage. He lets me know when it gets dirty too. Usually cats will prefer to use a clean litter box rather than a bush. I don't know how well you know the neighbor-could you make a friendly neighborly suggestion?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Forest

How would one do it ?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Flowering Shrub

It rather depends on your relationship

If a neighbor said to me that my kitty was using their flowerbed or garden for a potty-I would be cordial. That's possibly when you could suggest a litter box. Some people may get mad and you may never want to PO a neighbor-that can get ugly and I've even known friends that have moved to escape a neighbor. I've gone through great lengths to keep my tempermental neighbors calm and peaceful so I wouldn't even suggest they keep a cat box. Honestly, if I didn't want their cat using my flowerbeds-I'd keep a cat box for my neighbor's cat to use-but that's me and I know most people wouldn't do that. I value peace among neighbors a great deal-and I value not having to smell kitty poo when I'm digging in my flowerbeds. That is why this forum is so great-so many great suggestions.

Tags
cats
-->