Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Sprout

azbadgirl,

I looked up another thread that suggested castor beans. I am going to see if there are any for sale at the local nurseries hereabouts.

I will of course keep you informed
Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Flower

A lady told me that was the only way she could get rid of moles were castor beans. The vibrating devices will move them, but they don't get rid of them. You can buy them at Lowes. I got them from the middle of the yards toward the wooded areas on sides. Good luck .
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Sprout

Thanks brenbren,

I will swing by there tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Bush

You can't just throw the castor beans into the mole hole - you have to first grind up some earthworms (you can use your handy kitchen blender) and then make a 'meatball' of earthworm around a castor bean seed, refrigerate until firm, and then place the little meatballs in the mole holes. Yuck.

In my opinion, the best method is Talpirid Mole Bait; it is shaped like earthworms which are a large part of the moles diet. There is a Youtube video if you want to see it in action.

I have a different method. I tell my dog "DIG!!" and he keeps digging until he catches the mole. He makes a bigger mess of the yard than the moles do but his antics entertain the neighbors.

Last edited by carmelita33; 11-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: add
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Sprout

OK I need to borrow your dog
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Flower

Oh my God! I can't even imagine. I was so upset in June. After I pulled up my sweet peas I planted sunflowers. They were about 4 incges high when i came out to do my morning "look see" and they were all gone. I was devastated. Mine were eaten by squirrels. You could not even tell there was anything planted. So I can't begin to imagine how you must feel. I'm so sorry!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Sprout

Just Venting!

Hi cfiegel

If there is a good thing about moles it proves there are a lot of worms in your soil. Otherwise the moles would not be there.

I am the happy owner (well, me and my beloved) of five miniature dachshunds.

Brie (pack Momma)
Roscoe (Full title "Roscoe P Coltrain leave the cat alone")
Xavier (prettiest of them all, but what a wuss)
Caethes (sister of Xavier)
Devon (English cream who thinks he is a super stud)

Roscoe is your typical dachshund in that he loves to explore every little nook and cranny especially if he has not been there before.

Anyway the reason I mentioned my little people is I will be taking Roscoe with me today to see what he thinks about mole tunnels

Watch this space!!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Flower

Woo, that should be interesting!!! Luckily we do not have moles here!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Bush

Woo,

The moles are after earthworms (which are good) and grubs (which are bad) so it's almost impossible to get rid of the moles' food source without losing something in the process.

I myself would not introduce the castor beans into my yard as they can kill precious dogs, cats, small children, etc.

Not knowing how extensive the tunneling is in your yard, might I suggest that you first stomp on all the trails to flatten them - then when you go back out there the 'fresh' tunnels should be more obvious and your dog(s) would most likely be able to smell the moles.

And if you pay the plane fare and offer to feed us, my dog and I would be happy to come to your fair city to teach your dogs how to catch moles!

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Sprout

Just Venting!

Carmelita,

Once my numbers come up not a problem, and we do have a spare room that we keep for guests and friends.

It is all yours!

The beloved is a country style cook, and a good one. In the five years we have been together she has only cooked one meal I didn't like, and the best thing is she didn't either!
-->