Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Blossom

Indoor Birds Nest Fern covered in Mealybugs.

The little fussy, white, scale like things are all over the leaf tips... and it was doing so well... *cries* This is what I get for sending my favorite plants to live at my grandparents house while I was on 4 week long vacation.

How do I get rid of it? I hate doing the soap and rinse method because I can't keep the soap from getting into the soil. Is there some kind of chemical pesticide (I don't care how "un-organic" it is) that I can either spray and leave on the plant or put into the soil for it to soak up and kill the pests? (oh and would prefer the pesticide is commonly available at Walmart, Target, Home Depot or Lowe's)

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Tree

I did the soap and other environment friendly mixtures, nothing helped, my plants were eating alive

so finally I used this:

You can buy it as reg spray or with garden hose connection. Worked for me.

Read the instruction carefully (open water sources, fish ponds and ....) and make sure to spray after sundown when the bees, birds, butterflies
and other friendly creatures are not present at that time.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Flower Garden

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE LABEL VERY CAREFULLY IF YOU USE THAT DRENCH. MOST DRENCHES LIKE THAT SHOULD NOT GET ON THE LEAVES. Sorry for shouting but that was important and I don't think it's appropriate for house plants.

I use Spectracide Insect & Disease Control. I'd take the plant outside and spray the bajeebers out of it with plain water til you get all the visible critters off. Then I'd spray with the Spectracide, top and bottom of leaves and center until its dripping. Wait about 15 minutes then take a damp cloth like a thin washcloth and wipe each leaf thoroughly from base to tip and inspect top and bottom looking for eggs or anything that doesn't belong - wipe them off. You'll be wanting to wear gloves when you do this if you are sensitive to chemicals.

If the plant has been in the same pot for more than a year you might want to consider just repotting after the above threatment with new soil and pot.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Blossom

I used dawn soap on it a few times... it looks horrible now... :'( man I hate bugs.
-->