Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Flowering Shrub

ExclamationHelp.....Fire Ants!

I started out by yelling Help....then I remembered how they say if you need help fast just yell FIRE!
I have been composting for several years, with great success, in a large covered container that has holes drilled in it for drainage & air circulation. I only put things like grass clippings, veggy & fruit peelings, egg shells, coffee grounds, & etc. I keep it turned & usually have great composted soil pretty fast. Here's the problem.....Living in TEXAS, we deal everyday with the dreaded FIRE ANTS! They have discovered my compost bin & there must be millions of them in it! What can I do? Any ideas?

Last edited by trumpetvine; 04-04-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Tree

Trying drowning them out with left over coffee,

I compost also but havent noticed ants. I dont have a container, just a huge pile if leaves/grass clippings, and veggie /egg shells also. We just dig a huge hole and dump the veggie/egg shells and coffee grounds in, we havent yet gotten dirt. If we turned it occassionly it would turn into dirt faster.

I say drown them bc @ work on one of our sidewalks is (was), a huge annoying ant pile. Nothing was ever done to get rid of them, so I started dumping my left over coffee on them each morning I have been doing this so far for a few months, I kinda just toss it on their pile, like I am bowling a strike and today I noticed they are pretty much gone.
Good luck getting rid of them.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Flower Garden

Burn it. Soak it in gas and burn it. There a insecticides that just for fire ants. You'll need to get those from a pesticide place that deals with them. We have them here to. My brother is licensed in many things cause he is over all the shop and grounds of a big facility. He brings home a type of granules that you put around there nest that tastes sweet to them, the carry it back into the nest and it kills them all.

But burning it where it stands will kill them, it may not get them all but it will be a good start. I just hope it isn't close to your house cause if you move the bin then escapees will make a new home wherever you move it too. Good luck
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Tree

I have also heard if you have multiple piles of them, scoop up a shovel from each pile and then you can mix them by putting the ants from the other pile and visaversa, they will all split. No need for poisions. Give it a try.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Flower Garden

Cathy hon, have you ever been stung by fire ants? You really don't want to try scooping and mixing them. The bites/stings are extremely painful and if enough of them get on you you will go in shock, hopefully someone is there to call 911 for you cause you will need anti venom very, very soon cause it can kill you.

A little old lady fell last year inn her yard right on top of a nest, she was stung like 200 times before her neighbor heard her screaming. Fortunately the neighbor dragged her away from the nest, stripped her down and turn the water hose on her to get the fire ants off of her. The ambulance arrived and she was all ready in shock, having trouble breathing and swelling at an awful rate. If they hadn't gotten her to the hospital as fast as they did she would have died. Her airways were closing faster than the emts could do anything about it. Fire ants are nothing to mess with they are very aggressive and full of poison.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Flowering Shrub

Thanks for the suggestions......My husband has sprinkled those granules into the bin before, but I didn't know if that was the right thing to do or not. Seems like it stopped the decomposition process??? We have fire ants up here so badly!!! I hate those things & it does hurt like thunder when you get stung/bitten....whatever those danged little devils do.
Cathy, I used to have a big compost pile just in the corner of my backyard & it worked good, but we did away with it when we built our new fence. I read about doing one in the great big plastic containers & it works much faster. I got a black container which absorbs heat from the sun better than any other color. We turn it at least once a week with a pitch fork & the process is really much faster than it was when it was just in a pile.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Bush

Splendid Splenda

We learned that you can sprinkle SPLENDA on the ant mounds.
Do not stir it in or disturb the mound, just gently place 1 teaspoon on each mound. In a few days the ants either die or will go elsewhere.

Also, I don't use sweetener in my drinks, but I feel that I an entitled to take one or two little packets for each purchased drink, so technically, I could get the Splenda for free.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Flower Garden

I would add to the compost till you get rid of the fire ants. You can use a stout black trash bag as a tempoary bin and just shake it up to turn the compost.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Bush

(pssst....Tess....did you mean to say 'would not' in that post?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Blossom

ants

i hear cucumbers and bay leaves will rid your ants let me know how it works for you thanks pammy
-->