Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Sprout

I have conquered squash borers by getting a syringe (with a large needle) at the drug store and injecting my squash vine with Bt mixture when it's still quite young. That seems to prevent and/or kill any that might have entered the vine. Of course, spraying the vine itself frequently during the egg-laying season would work also, but takes more time.

Spraying with homemade fertilizer every week or so really helps my plants stay vigorous and healthy. I don't measure, but I mix a teaspoon or so of fish emulsion, liquid seaweed, Medina soil activator, and SuperThrive (plant vitamin/hormone). I also add garlic and hot pepper juices to make this a one shot deal (bug repellent). I keep this in the fridge, and I mix 1 tbls. per gallon to spray. Also good as a soil drench.

This is a very cool thread. I also like hearing about the time and money-saving tricks!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Blade of Grass

well

not really a garden trick or anything but i had accidentally found out a cool indoor pest control. what happend was that i had left my bottle of witch hazel open and the next day all of the gnats that were in the kitchen and bathroom where now in the witch hazel bottle. i thought that that was pretty neat. i guess it smells like the plant to them and they really like it, that is until it brutally murders them.

so an open dish of witch hazel to kill gnats in the house, works like a charm.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Blossom

I found this on an orchid forum...

Homemade anti-bug spray
10 drops dishsoap
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon extract (liquid, not powder. Powder clumps... but maybe if it was strained it may work)
2 cups tepid water.

Mix and put in spray bottle. Evenly spray and soak substrate top once every two weeks till bugs are completely gone. Is safe for orchids, and they are tetchy things, or so I am learning.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Flower

I have one

POISON IVY, WHEN WORKING IN THE GARDEN OR IN WEEDS YOU SHOULD TAKE A COLD SHOWER WITH TIDE OR DAWN.COLD WATER KEEPS YOUR PORES CLOSED AND THE TIDE OR DAWN TAKES THE OILS AWAY.WASH ALL CLOTHES SHOES ETC. IN IT ALSO. WORKS EVERYTIME FOR ME.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Bee sting: Take a penny and tape it on the sting....will remove the pain....It works, I have tried it!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 04-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Flower

Speaking of Poison Ivy

The common weed plantain, when you've encountered poison ivy/oak, take a piece of the leaf of plantain, chew it up an place it on the effected area. Will get relief in under 2 minutes. Apply as needed for really bad cases. If you have a really bad case of PI, chop the leaves up an simmer in some water to release the oils, cool then apply where needed.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Blade of Grass

I buy fish emulsion concentrate at Wal-Mart, it goes a long long way when you mix it with water....my plants love it.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Blade of Grass

plantain

yeah it is quite an awesome little plant. the natives called it white mans foot, because it popped up where ever whit settlers went. it is native to europe but has natralized here in the states when all of the settlers moved in. it works well with bug bites too.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Flower

Originally Posted by Diane View Post:
Bee sting: Take a penny and tape it on the sting....will remove the pain....It works, I have tried it!
I did not know that! I do know if you have warts you can tape a dime to them to make them go away.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Acorn

My great grandmother always said canning jars kept the rabbits away. I thought she was nuts.

But about 15 years ago, I tried it and became a believer. Over the years I have graduated to baby food jars. They aren't as noticable and work just as well.

I was wondering why this old wives tale worked and found this explanation at howstuffworks.com:
" Whistling jars

Many old-time gardeners placed empty canning jars around the perimeter of the garden; glass bottles can be used too. The glass reflects light, and when the wind blows over the tops, the containers “sing.” The sights and sounds discourage rabbits and many other unwanted visitors."

Try it, you will be amazed!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Bush

Originally Posted by Diane View Post:
I thought that was hog wash but I blow up like a blimp and itck like a monkey when I get a bee sting so I gave it a try. It worked. The pain was gone in under a minuet. I never swelled and never itched. It was as if I'd never been stung but I know I was because I had to pull the stinger out. I've also used the penny on my grandson and it worked for him as well.
This is a facinating thread.
Bernie
Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Bush

Question

Maybe we should sticky it? I know it is getting long and the remedies jump from plants to bugs etc etc. But I can picture myself wanting to find this info months from now and kicking myself when I can't find it...
Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Sprout

Hi everone. I was reading all the great ideas and just had to add afew. They are not my own. I purchasedthis wonderful book, called "Lasagna Gardening" by Patricia Lanza.
It goes along with the idea about news paper or cardboard boxes stopping weeds and grass. In the book she talkes about layering your compost with 2-3 inches of peat moss between, alternating to creat a raised bed garden. Wich is composed of 4 parts High carbon (brown,dry material like hay or straw, sawdust, leavescorn cobs) and 1 part high-carbon(moist,green material like kitchen waste, grass clippings, manure). With a layer of wood ass to top off.
The best part is you can plant the very same day. I did it last weekend and I have spouts this.

She also mentions three kinds of spray or teas
1. aphids
1 oz Murphy's Oil Soapmixed in a gallon of water
2. general pest spray
1 garlic bulb chopped
1 small onion put in food processor or blender
1 tsp. powdered cayanne pepper
1 quart water
let stand overnight. Strain out any bits. Spray away from eyes and nose due to the pepper.
3. aphids, whiteflie, and caterpillars
1 - 2 cups of rubarb or tomatoe leaves chopped
2 cups water
soak overnight. Strain and add another 2 cups water
(avoid gettng on your skin)
Remember not my ideas but I am going to use these!!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Warts:

My grandson had those seeded wart all over the bottom of his foot...to the point of being painful...He went to the doctor and he tried burning them off..etc...which causes pain.....so this is what we did:

Oil of oregano- (these are small capsules)
cut into- apply onto warts
wrapped with gauze, and he slept in it...
We did his for a couple of days...and they disappeared..permantly....! That has been a year ago and they have never returned! WHA....LA!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Vegetable Garden

neat tips and tricks
here is one more. this is for the people that grow a few rows of corn. there are those worms that sometimes get into the stalks eating from the top down. just sprinkle some sand (sandy soil) onto the stalks. the worms die off. I guess they eat the sand and die

Gone Tropical's Garden

Tags
gardening
-->