Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Pests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Sprout

Cucumber Beetles and Beneficial Nematodes

Has anybody tried beneficial nematodes to rid soil of cucumber beetle larva? I've been plagued by them for two years now. Believed to have been brought in with a watermelon plant I purchased (kick self in butt), they just keep overwintering, and I'm assuming they'll overwinter again this year. I've got to the point where I just don't want to grow cukes anymore. I'm sad... I tried planting radish as a companion and it did little good. And I've done more 5am handpicking and squishing than I care to mention. I don't have much room, so I don't rotate my crops. I read that you have to add the nematodes very early in the spring in order for them to do their job. Thanks.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Flowering Shrub

Sorry i am no help
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to travart83
Hi there, I used to have a problem with the beetles, grubs aka Japanese beetles and termites until I sprayed my entire lawn and garden with nematodes and that was 6 years ago. I have not had any problems since actually! I would recommend it if you are having issues just remember not to use any type of fertilize or high nitrogen products where you put the nematodes for at least a couple of weeks(my friend put fertilize on his lawn after spraying them and it killed the nematodes). I believe I purchased mine from a place in arizona but im not positive that was six years ago haha.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Flower Garden

If you are unable to get the nematodes before spring and you still want to plant cucumbers you can help to protect your plants and harvest by mixing 2 tablespoons of artificial vanilla extract per quart of water in a handheld sprayer bottle, and spraying your plants thoroughly from top to bottom. It did help with my cucumbers last year. It is not a perfect solution but it really did help, I got this from the Jerry Baker, Supper Supermarket Gardens book.

Last edited by SwampLady; 01-27-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Forest

Thanks swamplady I shall dothat too.........
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Sprout

Thanks travart and SwampLady. SwampLady - I've never heard of using vanilla. So I Googled vanilla and cucmber beetles. The book you mention was one of the first things to pop up. Thanks again. I also found a nursery in my area that carries nematodes. Although a little pricey, I think I will be getting some in the spring! Wish me luck! Oh yeah, and here's some info I found on beneficial nematodes. Good reading! http://www.arbico-organics.com/produ...ial-nematodes2
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Bush

Michelle, I will be curious as to how the nematodes do if you try them. I will have to go a-researching on the subject. I have Japanese beetle larvae terribly here and ground moles as a result (so I'm told). Big hills of dirt all over my yard. Maybe the nematodes will solve 2 problems at the same time.

Hey Swampy, go back and read your post! I think I'm hearing an echo in here!!! You know I love ya!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks Cindy, I have problems with my hands and sometimes I hit the wrong key and my computer will just copy what I have already typed. If I am not paying close attention, I just keep typing and don't realize I have a boo boo.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Sprout

Definitely will keep you all updated! Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Flower Garden

Good luck with whatever you try Michelle
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Bush

Milky Spore, buy it at places like Home Depot or Lowes. If I remeber correctly, you walk across your entire property in a grid pattern and place a small spoonfull at prescribed distances. If you can convince your neighbor to do the same (you could offer to share the cost), it would benefit both of you. The milky spore kills the grubs while they are in the soil before they become adults. And once it is in the soil, the milky spore will multiply, so you don't have to repeat it every single year.
-->