Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Flower Garden

Something rarely seen here

Yep, something rarely seen here.

I've got most of my tendor plants covered with frost clothes. This was resting on one of the clothes this a.m.
Unseasonably cold freezing weather my way in New Orleans. I'm just not used to this; neither are my plants!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Flower

Me either! My garage, flower shed, and extra bedroom look like a jungle. I covered the ground orchids in the front garden. The backyard, however, looks like a disaster zone. Oh well, come spring, hopefully will see new growth from some things that look dead.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Flower Garden

This ice and freeze has touched so many people and their plants. At least up here in the north we expect such things and donít have such tender plants out in our gardens during the winter. Hope your plants survive and bloom extra beautiful having had a touch of frosty cold and lived through it.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
I know what you mean! My cloths on my plants are frozen tents of ice, I am almost to sick to look under them come tomorrow when it warms up.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Tree

Question

We also woke up to a layer of ice this morning, hopefully the ice will disappear tomorrow. I got most of my outside plants that could be moved or covered before it started, but I found my BOP today the sheet didnt get back on; so it had a layer of ice covering it. I have several large split leaf philidandriums; my yellow bells; orchid & our 3fruit trees that werent covered - You think they will be ok?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Forest

Cool

Gosh Texas ice,snow.
My BIL used to come to Pennsylvania to see the snow . He is in Houston.
Guess not this year, he has his own..LOL Sad tho how cold it is, an they are saying global warming is happening? Daaaaaaaaa

Anyways us seed swappers are here to help trade seeds and plants come spring for the less fortunate, happenings of winter.
Be calm gang. Only 52 days till spring.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Flower Garden

Hi cf and friends! Well, as cf knows, the sun is out here in New Orleans as I type. I just unplugged the Christmas lights and will be on alert when I need to plug in once again. I'm keeping my frost clothes on as I think Tues. we will once again have dipping temps, down to 28 or below and for three nights. and it's just too hard to take off, fold, then put back on. Do y'all think it will be okay to just keep my frost clothes on the plants? My poor plants, that's all I have to say, my poor plants. I sure hope my southern buddies are managing to keep your plants alive, it sure sounds like it. Good luck everyone.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
FD - I took my cloths off to give the plants some sunlight and air circulation, I am going to have to replace them for Mon night thru Wed , I was really surprised to see how well the plants did. I have a Gerbera Daisy that is blooming even! I wanted to let the concrete under the plants warm up and let it get ready for the next snap.

Cathy - The Split leafs should be all right as long as the trunk did not freeze, the orchid - unless it is a cold hardy orchid I would say that it will not make it, the fruit trees if they are citrus will be all right my Grapefruit tree didn't even get covered and looks fine. Keep a eye on things and cut off the rotten parts as you see them appear. Get you some fungicide to keep fungus and other stuff from growing during the cold weather. Wait for new growth when all danger of frost is past to start fertilizing.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Flower Garden

mr, I'm glad to hear your plants didn't look as bad as you thought after you removed the cloths. I may peek at mine tomorrow to see how they look. I decided to plug in the lights tonight even though there is no freeze tonite, I think it was going to 39 tonight.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Flower Garden

Bali, what a happy thought that spring is only 50+ days away. Almost like waiting for Christmas all over again. And you are so right about the good people here that will be happy to help those who have suffered unexpected losses. We have a great group of wonderful folks.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Forest

Cool

Swamp lady,
I think your area was hit worse than mine.. We have snow now but maybe like 4-6 inches an problem is , wont melt.
So cold an the salt only works to 5 degrees.

Hope it soon ends the cold spell. In 2 more days..
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Flower Garden

I think that everyone is getting the strange winter weather. Monday afternoon we are supposed to get hit with another fast moving storm; starting as rain, turning to snow, then to sleet and dropping down zero to 8 degrees with wind chill well below zero again. Even after the rain we still had piles of snow everywhere because it has be just so cold. Not liking it much.
-->