Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Flower Garden

Paperwhite Narcissus

I bought my first paperwhite bulb several weeks ago. Several days after I planted her, she started to bloom and oh what a fragrance.

Paperwhite Narcissus 'Ariel'

She's a new hybrid from Isreal. Very large bulb.

I'm not sure what to do after she is finished her blooms or when to plant the bulb in the ground. I'm zone 9a if that helps. Any offering of help?

Paperwhite Narcissus likers, show your blooms please.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Flower Garden

I've grown those before and agree the fragrance is heavenly! I usually just plant them in the ground afterwards, but they rarely ever bloom again. I'm thinking they are a one shot deal or I need to do something I'm not to get them to bloom again.

X
Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Flower Garden

Paperwhites

I do not know what would be the right thing to do in zone 9 but up here in zone 5 I just plant them in the ground after they bloom. If the plant is a winter bloom then I just keep it in the pot - water sparingly and let the leaves drop and dry - when the ground is soft enough to get into - I just dig a hole and plop them in. They come back to bloom in the ground the next spring. Good luck with your plants they are beautiful. If you do not have them over-wintered in the ground the blooms will not set. If you do not have cold winters then you would have to put them in the refridgerator for about 6 weeks to set the blooms.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Flower Garden

Ahh .. didn't know they required chilling. Thanks for the info.

X
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks Xeo and SwampLady! Since I'm in zone 9a, it may be a bit different as SL said. I emailed the florist owner where I purchased the bulb yesterday and asked her what the planting instructions are. When I get a response, I'll share with everyone for FYI.

Others planting/growing narcissus these days? Would love to see/hear about your blooms, and info.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Sprout

I am growing some right now. I have to disagree about the fragrance though...I hate it! I love the flowerrs (especially in the dead of winter), but the smell is driving me crazy!!

My pics are on my blog if you're interested...
http://anestforallseasons.blogspot.c...tching-up.html
Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Flower Garden

Very good allenaim Is this the first year you are growing them? If not, do you purchase new bulbs each year or grow them annually? The scent is quite strong. The first day I had to take the pot outside for a while because the scent was so very strong. LOL. Mine are at my kitchen window sill. I noticed another bud today, so that will make four clusters. allenaim, how long do yours bloom for?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Sprout

thanks dazed !

I've grown them several years in a row, but we'v moved several years in a row, so I've never seen how they do in the ground. I let them bloom (they seem to vary bloom time from bulb to bulb...not all together, so overall maybe 3-4 weeks of bloom? After they are finished blooming, I plant them. They go in the ground in spring and supposedly will grow year after year, but I've yet to see what happens to them the following spring...cross your fingers for next year
Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Flower Garden

Will keep my fingers crossed for you allenaim. I'm guessing I'll need to wait as well to spring before the bulb goes in the ground. Haven't heard back from the florist of yet for any instructions. Thanks for posting and good luck.

Are there other narcissus growers who can share light on their success?
-->