Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Flower

A little color in the midst of all this cold!

Well, my Christmas cactus finally bloomed. Better late than never and I was able to pick some camellias before the freeze hit last night. Enjoy!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Tree

So pretty!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome! TFS

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Flower Garden

Very pretty cf! Yep, ya got that right, freeze in New Orleans area last night, tonight too. Looks like I may have lost some plants What about you?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Flower

Oh yeah, flowerdazed! I definitely lost all my 8 ft tropicals and things in large pots that were too big for me to move. All of my smaller pots I brought in and covered my ground orchids and irises with blankets. I'm hoping I didn't lose my 5 year old fig tree. This was the first year I got several handfuls of figs. The next week should tell the tale!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Flower Garden

cf, at least we can commiserate together sorry about your 8 ft tropicals , I can relate. I've got at least 6 abutilons in pots that may have bit the dust, along with at least 5 plumeria (in ground), my epis on outside stand and a host of other things in pots as well as plants in ground. Don't know about my hibiscus, not to mention my bromeliad patch. I'm getting worried. I covered what I could with frost clothes, sheets and blankets. I'm really concerned about my mophead hydrangeas that are in ground. I double covered them but not sure what will happen there. I sure hope your fig tree makes it. We'll have to 'compare notes'.

Can you northerners tell we(New Orleans area) are not prepared for this terrible cold weather? Don't know how y'all manage.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Flower

Flowerdazed, that's why I live in the south. I couldn't go through this every year. I definitely feel your pain. I cut pieces off of my 2 plumeria in preparation for last night. I have an abutilon in a big pot I managed to drag in. We'll see if it makes it. My epis I brought in, too. I stopped growing hibiscus quite a few years ago because I lost 2 HUGE ones in the front of my house in a freezez and swire I would not do that again. It's too painful to raise plants from babies and see them die. Oh my God I sound like a mother with children. Hmm! Well, that's about right my plants and my pets are my children!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Flower Garden

cf, I could never live up north either. A lot of people b*tch about our weather but I actually like it, particularly in winter, one day a jacket, the next day shorts and a tee shirt.

Yeah, my plants are my children for sure! That is why I'm so concerned too.
And I'm sure you heard, another hard freeze on the south shore tonight.
I keep looking at my huge plumeria as I type, as it is plain view from where I type, leaves looks bad, I have half covered with a blanket, the other half not. I'm sick over it and sure I will be sick over more plants as I will soon know their fate.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Flower Garden

I really feel for you gals - loosing any kind of plant is so painful. This has really been a bad year for cold. I had my peach hibiscus on the sun porch but dragged it into the kitchen just before the real cold (20 below) hit us. She did drop some of her leaves because of the move but at least she is still alive
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Sprout

Smile

sorry for you plant loss. I understand that so well. The year we had a bad frost in California, I lost all kinds of plants.................I cried!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 AM
Flower

Thanks, Neysa! I think there are a lot of people in that predicament this year! Glad to meet you!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Flower Garden

Frost in CA and snow and ice in TX, wow, mother nature is sure getting confused as to what we expect our weather to be like. And this year she is really pushing the limits.
-->