Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Flower Garden

TalkingThank you!

Mine are Rembrandt tulips but I'm not sure where they're grown.

These are not hyacinths and tulips I'm growing now...they're from last season.

I feed with a fertilizer good for blooms, once a week. I especially love to force hyacinths indoors. So pretty to have pots of them blooming in early winter in my home.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Flower Garden

Hi HBL!
My question was if you know where your hyacinths are grown. Wondering if Burlington Ontario is close to you since I see your are from London Ontario. The info. I gave pertained to the current hyacinths I recently purchased. Do you know the name of your fertilizer you use for your hyacinths? Sounds like a very lovely thing to do in forcing hyacinths to bloom in your home. I would like to try that sometime. So when do you take in your bulbs for hyacinth forcing? I would like to learn more please regarding that subject via your tips. Thanks again.

Last edited by flowerdazed; 02-13-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Flower Garden

LightbulbMy bulbs are grown in Holland!

I use an oraganic blooming formula called 'DNF' (Dutch Nutrient Formula) to feed them.

You need to buy new bulbs in the early Fall to force for early inside winter blooming. You bury them in pots and stick them in your fridge in September to simulate a three - four month winter. In December & January, you pull the pots out of the fridge and put them in a sunny sill. It's very simple & highly rewarding.

Hope this answers your questions.

: )
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Tree

While the hyacinths I planted last fall have yet to start sprouting, I bought these today, and will try to hand pollinate them, I'll move the pots outside come spring, and will most likely put them in larger pots. I'm growing my spring bulbs in containers, and will add these to them. they were on sale at the grocery store.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Flowering Shrub

I planted some hyacinths in the fall and saw that they were poking out of the ground a little bit today!!! YiPPEE!!!! I've got to get out and clean that bed up...rake, rake, rake without hurting my little babies.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Acorn

I wondered if this year I would be so lucky. I was glad I sawa few bloom but not nearly as beautiful as the year before.
Data entry
Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Flowering Shrub

this is a hyacinth in florida. I has been outside for several years.

looks pretty sick huh? I have different colored ones, but ussually only one or two will come up and bloom. And yeas this is how they bloom. I guess I need to dig them up. but when do I do that?

Slow down and enjoy life.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Flower Garden

Well I'm pleased to report that the hyacinths in the window boxes are starting to bloom .. it's a bit early for them but we've had an unusual "heat wave" for the last week and it looks like it's going to continue on for another 2 weeks .. and it has me really worried too because I'm sure we'll get freezing temps again and all the new growth on everything will be killed!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upSome real beauties!

Thanks for sharing, guys!

: )
Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks HBL for the additional info. One day I will try 'forcing' hyacinths. On the list.
Very nice skay and do let us know how you do with pollinating them.
Hi mcole, oh good, glad you are seeing signs of life with your hyacinths, and keep us posted as well.
Oh Mary, sorry you are not having too much luck with your hyacinths. But, at least you do see a few blooms there so that is always good. I'm still unclear as to when to dig up, and when to plant back in ground. I suppose it varies from plant zone to plant zone but would still like that question answered. As I said earlier, I've got last year's in ground, two have bloomed a few weeks back. Today I'm seeing signs of blooms coming from a few more. I went on and planted the two I recently bought. It will be interesting to see what they will do next year.
Xeo, oh, very pretty. Hope they make it thru the heat wave and freezes.
Others?

Last edited by flowerdazed; 02-18-2011 at 06:59 PM..
-->