Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Flower Garden

Growing Hyacinths Down South

Last March I rec'd a handful of hyacinth bulbs in a trade, planted them, and shortly thereafter, and to my amazement, they bloomed.

I was so thrilled to see them bloom and enjoyed their fragrance as well. I wondered if this year I would be so lucky. I was glad I sawa few bloom but not nearly as beautiful as the year before.

Last week while at our HD, I saw hyacinths for sale and of course had to purchase a few. This a.m. they began doing their thing.

These particular hyacinths were grown in Canada.
Unfortunately they were so fragrant, I had to put them outside.
And noticed my grape hyacinths beginning to do their thing out in the garden.

Our local horticulturialist recently said hyacinths in our area do not do well and that after the first year, don't expect much if you do see them return.

Any hyacinth growers down south? Input? I would love to see pics of hyacinths growing whether north or south.

Last edited by flowerdazed; 02-08-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Tree

Flowerdazed- with you being in zone 9, the freaky cold you've had has probably helped them bloom. If you dig the bulbs up every year and place in a paper bag then in your bottom drawer of your fridge for a couple of months, you might get better blooms.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Flower Garden

Hi skay,
Thanks for your input. I've never tried digging and storing any bulbs but may consider it. When would I dig up and when would I re-plant the bulbs? Wondering if they should be fertilized, when and what kind of fertilizer?

I would like to hear from northern hyacinth growers as well as southerners, would love to see your hyacinth blooms please.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Flower Garden

Gorgeous! And they smell so wonderful! My hyacinths are just starting to bud out. I remove mine from the fridge and plant around December. I do not feed mine at all and usually dig them up at the end of March.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Tree

I'm in zone 7, and leave mine outside, they are not coming up yet. I do have them in containers.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks Xeo. So your bulbs stay in the frig for quite a while, some nine months, hmmm and you are in zone 8. skay, zone 7, leaving yours in containers all year. Wondering when zone 9 hyacinth growers would dig up, how long refrigerate and when to plant in ground. Obviously, zones do make a difference. Anyone? Xeo and skay, I for one would love to see your hyacinths when they bloom. Do we have other hyacinth growers?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Flower

Send a message via Yahoo to SadieMae147
FD, I leave mine in the ground and they come back, some years better than others, I don't know why. Mine are just now starting to poke their tips through the surface of the ground.
“This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.” - John 15:12
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Flower Garden

Hey SadieMae,
I think being that you are in zone 7 makes a difference as you get those cold cold days and nights for quite a while? Do you feed yours? Would love to see yours when they bloom. I was surprised to see my ground ones bloom the beginning of this year since I planted them last March and they bloomed shortly after that last March. As skay said, we have been getting cold weather early on and for a number of days and we are still getting cold weather.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 AM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

hyacinths

I have some and they stay in ground year round. They need that cold spell, same as tulips. We are still snow covered so depending on spring warm up April maybe see some green? They smell soooo good! Pretty pics!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Flower Garden

Hi Angie, thanks! Sorry for all your snow dear. So you may see your hyacinths bloom come April then? Hmmm, I know your zone is low.

Anyone, when should I plant the new blooming hyacinths I recently purchased, in my garden? Poor babies had to be taken outside, the scent is sooooo strong.

Hyacinth growers, join in please, or anyone for that matter.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Tree

With you being in zone 9, I would go ahead and plant them outside now. Me any bulbs IU get that are already blooming will have to the blooms fade, then I'll plant them in a bigger container and place them outside. If I was wanting to plant them in the ground I would have to wait till the ground thaws. I'm hoping to find some hyacinths blooming in the stores.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Flower Garden

Okay skay, thanks for the info. I almost hate to plant them in ground as they are so pretty to enjoy daily, but, the scent is way to much for me to handle inside. Maybe their scent will die down some and I can try them once again inside. At least I know they can be planted inground at this time. I hope you soon will find blooming hyacinths in your area!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Flower Garden

Well, my new hyacinths are back inside. Their fragrance has subsided somewhat, tolerable , and their beauty is really something to behold! We'll see how long they will stay in bloom.

Hyacinths growers, likers, join in.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upGorgeous!

I enjoy Hyacinths myself and have been known to plant a few here and there...

In this shot you can see the purple ones in the distance...

Here's some indoor ones I had but sorry the shots were taken with a web cam...

: )
Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks HBL! Oh, what pretty hyacinths you are growing And so large as well. They look so similar to mine in color and height and fullness. The label on my pot reads: Grown in Canada, Aldershot Greenhouse LTD, Burllington, On. Wondering if by chance, yours are grown there as well? Very interesting. I like your combination of tulips along side of your hyacinths. I also like your variety of color in hyacinth pot. Do you feed yours, and if so, how often and what? Very nice and thanks for participating HBL!

Other hyacinth growers, do show and tell.
-->