Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Flower Garden

A Good Head Start With.....

Daturas, hopefully. I am striving to overwinter these this winter as I am
bound and determined I will grow Daturas and have a nice assortment of blooms in 2011. Wishful thinking? Here is what I saw in my west garden a few days back.

I'm not sure which daturas they are at this point and hope I can overwinter them.

Anyone out there overwintering daturas? Input, suggestions etc. etc. are welcome. Anyone experimenting with overwintering other plants?

Last edited by flowerdazed; 02-01-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

daturas

I have only grown the lavender daturas, which I first rec'd as a trade from BHscarlett about 2 years ago. Well I started with a plant or two from seed and now I don't bother planting them as she told me they POP up very easily. The leaves in pics don't quite look like mine, so I don't have any idea what kind you may have? I think I rec'd white in a trade, I'll try this year. Good luck on yours!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Flower Garden

Looking good! You are a few months ahead of me. We're still getting freezing temps at night.

I began my annual epic seed starting 2 weeks ago .. my biggest surprise was some 6 year old datura metel seeds that started popping up in just a few days! They were nicked and treated with GA3 - a plant growth hormone. They usually take weeks .. out of 7 seeds, 4 have germinated so far and two have been transplanted to pots and moved out to the greenhouse!

This is the first datura to pop up.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Flowering Shrub

your camera takes a very good picture. He looks very healthy.

Slow down and enjoy life.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Flowering Shrub

Cool pic, X!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks .. I'm a macro nut .. like to get up close and personal.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks Angie. Beth had given me seeds from years ago for Lilac LeFleurs planted in my east garden. Last May, I planted seeds from offspring from LeFleurs and they did come up in the west garden but didn't multiply very much. We' ll see what the LeFleurs do this year. I think my pics are the Stramonium tatula Dats. I had them in the east garden year before last and they did do well. They didn't do anything in the west garden last year. But, I was rather late in planting datura seeds as they were planted in May. I'm hoping what is left of dats makes it thru our winter so they can do well this spring and summer.

Xeo, thanks! That's great your 6 year old dat seeds are doing well for you. Your germination rate sounds pretty good. And love the pic, I too am a 'macro' picture fanatic so I can truly relate.

Anyone overwintering anything for the first time?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks! I just noticed another datura popped up this morning, that makes 5. I moved 2 more out to the greenhouse along with some Bee Balm, Monarda punctata yesterday and planted 5 more sets of seeds.

I am truely amazed that your Stramonium didn't multiply very much especially in your zone .. I've grown them before and they produce thousands of seeds! You are aware that all parts of datura can be deadly to small children and animals?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Bush

Oh nice pctures FD and X,,I hope mine will sprout when I get them planted to.Some of my seeds are 2 and 3 years old.I just found them recently.lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Flower Garden

Don't worry .. Datura seeds have a very long shelf life as they are hard coat seeds. I've successfully sprouted 10 year old seeds with a 100% germination rate with no problems .. It sometimes takes a little longer. To help them, take a sharp pair of scissors and cut off some of the seed coat. That usually speeds things up along with bottom heat and don't give up on them for at least 2 months.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Flower Garden

Xeo, growing daturas in my garden is some feat for me and don't know why. I am going to amend the soil come early spring in hopes that will help. Suggestions on soil amendment? Anyone? I have grown the Petite LeFleurs as I mentioned above, and the dat metal, along with the double white. I can't seem to grow the purples, double, triple, etc., yellows and creams, and can't figure out why. Thanks for the added tips on the dat seeds.

Thanks GOE and good luck with your dat seeds. Keep us posted.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Flower Garden

Datura loves blazing hot full sun and like brugmansia, are greedy guts when it comes to food. Since they are essentially weeds, they seem to do better with benign neglect and don't like wet feet. The metels should not be allowed to set seed until the end of July since seed production uses up a lot of energy and the quality and vigor of the plant suffers considerably when in seed.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Flower Garden

Forgot to add that they do extraordinarily well in containers. The trick to using large containers and not going broke filling it up with soil is to put empty plastic bottles in the bottom then dump some dirt in and shake the container so the soil filters inbetween the bottles. Roots don't care.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Flower Garden

Okay Xeo, I now have double purple dat envy. , thanks to you, very pretty. Thanks for the tips and I didn't know they do not like wet feet. What type of fertilizer do you use, and how regularly? Just love your container with your beautiful daturas!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Flower Garden

I feed them with any old 1 tbs per gallon stuff but actually use 1.5 tbs per gallon for all my brugs and dats.

The datura in the picture above were an F3 generation and the flower variations in that batch of seeds was amazing .. I broke it down to puffs and skirts. The picture below shows examples of them.

All those variations came from seeds of the same parent!
-->