Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Flower Garden

First Datura bloom of the season!

Yesterday I noticed my first datura bloom of the season for me.

Datura -Lilac Petite LeFleur

I anticipate seeing more varieties (as I planted 10 varieties) as the summer moves along. Please feel free to post your datura blooms here as well.

Last edited by flowerdazed; 07-12-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Sprout

Diggin it...

Like your flower. Haven't planted any this year, but maybe next year... Been too busy working to do much in the way of "luxury" gardening. I hardly have the time to grow tomato's and Zuke's... nevermind the fun stuff!!! Maybe next year! Keep on growin!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Looks very nice FD..what a pretty flower.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Very nice FD.

I grew some this yr from seed but they are not doing very well all are stunted and very small. I don't think I will get flowers this yr
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks SD! Hope you find the time to stop and 'smell the roses'!

Thanks rr! Actually, it is called Lilac Petite LeFleur. I used a few organizational skills in planting the eleven varieties and interestingly enough, #4 was not what the person said they were sending me but rather Lilac Petitle LeFleurs. That is okay tho, I'm glad I recognized it. All of the varieties are coming in but very slowly.

Hi mr!
Aww shucks, huh? When did you plant your dat seeds? I was a little late with mine as I didn't get them down til early May. Most of mine are very slow growing as well but this little baby showed herself. I don't seem to do well with growing daturas. When I put in the westside garden in March of this year, I thought that might help in growing daturas and I think it has to a degree. But they are very slow growing as well. We'll see and I will keep you posted.

Everyone, show your daturas as they bloom in your garden and let's get some talk going on daturas. Hey, it may help me succeed in growing daturas.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Flower Garden

Most of my datura seeds are coming along, but still slowly. I'd like to hear from others growing datura and their success, hows and whys.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Tree

none this year at all

due to not having many and my leg injuries, save lots of seeds, flowerdazed, I want them all,, i used to have alot of the mini lefluer lilac dats, and the giant white datura innoxias, the biggest ones, no more, i think between sharing,, outdating, injuries, plum, out,, i do have a pic of previous year to share,, i love daturas,, and brugs, and morning glories,, moon flowers, adn night bloomers, are so nicely scented,, adn alot moon garden whites,, blessings, Beth
Well cannot find pics in my photo albums,,
Old 07-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Flower Garden

Beth, I think my Petite Lilac LeFleur seeds originally came from you LOL a few years back. Looks like they are the only ones blooming for me at this time. In fact, they have ended their blooms, no seeds of yet but will save you some if I get them. My other DATS are growing, but slowly.

How is everyone's Daturas growing? Input please.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Flower Garden

Would you believe I have a datura bloom today, 11/4/10? And ya know what
they say, 'better late than never'.

According to my records, this one should have been 'Double Cream', yep, so much for 'Double Cream'. Still glad to see her tho. Anyone know her name?

Anyone have Datura blooms?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Bush

No I don't know her name, but she is a beauty.And looks like some kind of double datura. I had some blooming 2 weeks ago.And just in time ,The frost hit right after they finished.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

same as yours I think

I got seeds from Beth a few years ago!!!!!!!!!!Now I need seeds for other colors!!!!!!!!!!!!Anyone??????????I got lots of these seeds!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Tree

yes spread them all around the country

I couldnt tell the size, i used to have giant white datura innoxias,, are those double or single and or white or cream beautiful flower dazed, love the dats and brugs,, they seem to be really hardy dont know why they did so poorly suvive neglect and drought, even grow wild, maybe heat this year lack or rains,, dats usually survive anything come back as angie says you cannot get rid of all of them,, seeds pop and grow everywhere,, right,, they will never let you forget that you planted them,, ever, blessings,, beththe lefluer lilac daturas are very pretty indeed,, the pods are pricklypainful,,me i seem over the years to have become immune to the pain and the things others go through with them,, they must know that is because I love them,,,It seriously does hurt the protective pods..
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Flower Garden

Hi GOE, thanks, it's a single white. I'm glad you got to see your blooms right before your first frost. What color bloom or name Datura do you have? Not sure on the name of this one, can anyone identify it?

Yep Angie, the first picture of mine, the Lilic LeFleurs, are the same as yours. I got my seeds from Beth years ago as well. When did your LeFleurs bloom?

Hi Beth,
Thanks! I'll have to research and see if Innoxias, this one is single and white. I know, I too can't understand why I cannot or have trouble growing Daturas , I love the purple, double purples, two-tones, creams, golds etc. I put down some 10 or so variety of seeds I had collected from plant friends. The LeFleurs bloomed and now this one. I do have a few other daturas coming up but I do not see buds of yet. Yep, better watch those prickly pods. I'm still dealing with sticks from various bromeliads I was handling recently. I have two bruises from a very nasty bromeliad that is trecherous (ph).

I just find it late having these dats bloom. Input?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Bush

Beautiful!!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Bush

FD..I will see if I can get a picture of the one that bloomed for me. Seems like it was similar to Angies.I hope yours keeps blooming. Your little girl is pretty.

Angie,,I will see if mine is different than yours .. Can't for some reason post pictures on this page.lol..
-->