Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Flower Garden

Cleomes in the Garden

While at an out of town plant nursery the other day, I happened on yet another new and interesting plant that screamed 'Come and Get Me'. to add to my garden. I had never seen these plants growing or for sale in our area.

Cleome hassleriana

The ride home left much to be desired as the stinch from this plant was a bit much to handle. I placed her in her new location to acclimate before planting in ground that day. The next day I went to the location where she was and whew, what a smell -wondering if this is the right plant for my garden. Later that evening the scent died down. Soo, I think I will keep her . She is very pretty and worth the not so nice smell. As a bonus, there is a second cleome in the pot with shades of lavender and white. The larger one is pink. She does have nasty thorns along her stem tho.

I'd like to get Cleome growers input please.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Flower Garden

What you have there is Cleome hassleriana, common name Spider Flower. They are annuals, like full sun and prefer moist well draining soil. They tend to get leggy if in shade and make a kazillionmillion seeds which can put them in the invasive category. Deer seem to pass them by most of the time because they are spikey, but it's said they are rabbit magnets .
Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Vegetable Garden

oh Stephanie, I love them!! I saw them mass planted at a Disney Hotel... it was just a stunning sight!

they will do great for you

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Blade of Grass

cleome

I love cleomes, your photos by the way are stunning.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Flowering Shrub

i love cleomes. they also look great in a big pot. they get real tall and bush like here in michigan. and seeds galore. when the seed pods appear i pick them off. only leave a few for seeds. as cold as it is here they do come back every year. i have the pink and the purple. they sure are not know for the scent. i have them every year. won't part with them.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks Xeo for the added info. They are also known by the name Grandfather Whiskers. I don't have to worry about deer or rabbit in my area, fortunately. Snails and garden grub are a different story tho.

Hi GT,
Thanks. Wow, that must have been some sight at the Disney Hotel in mass planting. Did they do various colors mixed in or one complete color? I'm hoping this plant will do well for me as it, to me, is so unusual and, makes a nice backdrop in my garden.

Hi galford,
Thanks dear. Glad you grow Cleomes as well! Would love to see pics.

Hi barbaralee,
Hmm, haven't thought about planting them in pot. That is great you are growing them and enjoy them. I didn't smell the scent today when I passed by it. LOL, glad
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Vegetable Garden

FD, they did white and pink in sweeps. and either there are different pink varieties or the flower has different shades with age, since it seemed there were dark and light pink ones
of course they have huge property areas, compared to my tiny yard, I have to be happy with one or two plants

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Flowering Shrub

I've never had any...but I have wintersown some...hope they give me some stink one of these days~LOL!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Forest

Smile

i grow them yearly ..
Awesome to see in a bunch
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Cool pics.
I used to say I love cleome, but not anymore. Besides the fact they die in the fall and leave hard roots and stems behind, and they don't really have a nice growth (to me)... I decided to replace this in my garden with something more manageable.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Flower Garden

I grow them, and love them when they are in mass. I have them planted in huge cement pipes stood on end near the pond. They look wonderful swaying in the breeze and have never been a problem to contain. But I do agree with Call their stalks are nasty to try to cut out at the end of the season, and their roots go pretty deep. I only have the purple so when you get seeds from your pink I would love to do a swap with you.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Flower Garden

mcole, , too funny girl! Hope you get your 'stink' too!

bali, I'm betting you grow all colors?

calin, okay. I just have the one planted so we'll see.

swamplady, sounds like a very pretty sight for you near your pond! I'll save you some pink seeds then. I was out of town for a few days. Came back to see my one cleome drooping terribly. For a drought tolerent plant, she did not hold up. Of course now she is rehydraded and doing good!
-->