Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Georgia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Acorn

Looking for Buddeleia in GA

This is one of my favorite plants and I can't seem to find it at any of the local nurseries this year. I'm in Douglas County, west of Atlanta, and searched the Lowe's , Home Depots and Pike's in my area and only found the whites.

I read that these are considered invasive--are they trying to get rid of them at the stores or something?

This year I'm hoping to get some work done in my back yard. I moved in almost three years ago and have let things really slide. Now things are almost cleaned up well enough to start putting new plants down. It would be great to focus on plants that are not poisonous to dogs but still attractive to butterflies...any suggestions?

BTW, I'm essentially a novice gardener. Have stuck many things in the ground, but never "committed" to a place before

Thanks for any tips!
Jen
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Acorn

Buddeleia

Hi - I'm living in S GA, but lived in the Cobb County area for most of my life. I don't know of Buddeleia being invasive (I've been gardening about 30 years) and certainly can't understand why you can't find them locally.

I know that Pikes is in bankruptcy, but are they still operating? - if they are, they would probably have some in colors other than white? Another source would be Burgers in Dallas - I think it's on hwy 278. They carry a unique supply of plants there.

And my sister who lives in Powder Springs has been telling me about a new source in the area that has different type plants. If you're interested I email her and get the name/location of the nursery.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Acorn

Thank you! I'll look at Burgers. I've been to Pike's- so far nothing at the one in Marietta. I'll have to look out a little more.

But I would like to know the name of that other place
Jen
Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Acorn

OK - I'll contact my sister and find out the name/location of the nursery she's been telling me about! She's so impressed with it, she thinks it'd be worth my time (not to mention gas) to come up and visit it with her!

Will let you know when I find out.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Tree

buddlia

Jen I live in blairsville Ga. zone 7 and I have no trouble finding them at lowes or home depot. I have white,purple & pink.I haven't heard anything about them being invasive plants.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Acorn

Haven't heard back from my sister yet - but I'll let you know as soon as I do. She usually checks her emails several times a day.

And hang in there, Jen, with your gardening. We all started with very few skills . .and have learned mostly by trial/error! It's a fun and rewarding experience!

The main thing to remember is that a garden is NEVER finished - it's always art in progress!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Acorn

Thanks for the answers!

In years past, I've had no trouble finding the butterfly bushes, but so far this year, I'm coming up close to empty. I'll just keep visiting. Has anyone heard of a varigated version? It would be great to find that one.

As far as invasive, I don't remember where I read that before, but googled buddeleia and invasive and came up with several hits. Here's one:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi....x?cookieSet=1

Jen
Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Acorn

Buddeleia

Jen - sorry to be so long getting back with you, but I've just talked to my sister about the nursery in DAllas. The name of it is 'Rambos", but she said it's closed down! She said she went Saturday and they had a 'Closed' sign on the gate; then went home and looked them up on the web and it said, "Closed to the public." She has no idea why - but she's awfully disappointed.

Anyway, she told me that Wayside Gardens now have their buddeleia on sale and you get two for the price of one. You might want to check them out as they have VERY GOOD plants.

Sorry I couldn't help you!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Acorn

Thank you!

Thanks for the heads up about Wayside. I don't know them --see I'm so new I don't know the good places! But I'll look them up and head out there. Two for one is great!!!
Jen
Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Acorn

Buddeleia

Wayside Gardens is VERY reputable! You'll never go wrong with them!!!! If anything goes wrong with your plant(s), they are quick to respond and make recommendations . ..if their recommendations don't work, they're quick to either make replacement or refund. You can't go wrong with them.

But there are many other great websites out there as well.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Acorn

Found 2 and a little info

I found two Nanho Blues at a Home Depot. This weekend, I asked the garden guy at the one here in Lithia Springs about buddeleia and he said I was a little early and that they would have plenty in a few more weeks.

Also found out about a place called Elrod's...anyone heard of it?
Jen
Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 AM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to rosequeen

SmileHello.

I have the seed for the white Buddelia, let me know,pm please, it's over at my daughter's,gave it to her when she moved to country,I had it about 2 yrs before and it was hard to move as it greew so big,thanks and enjoy all of them, I love the Black Knight also,looking for one now,lol,.Blesssing's-
-->