Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Georgia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Flower Garden

I'm pushing spring to the limit --I bet we all are

Say, my greenhouse stays above 40 degrees at night, anybody have an opinion of whether it's safe to go ahead and pot up my plants and care for them there until April or so? I get great light all day long. But since this is my first year, I'm a little wobbly about it.

I watered everything in the GH well the other day to bring everything out of dormancy and I'm seeing all sorts of little hints of green at the base of the stems of 3 different kinds of hydrangeas, my hosta is plumping up, and I hope to see canna leaves peek out anytime soon. I had wintered over some Queen Anne's Lace in the GH, much of the time with no heat, and it's just growing it's little heart out.

Today--can anybody tell I'm feeling better FINALLY--I jugged up potting mix and watered it so I can winter sow some seeds tomorrow or the next day. I'm working on a system to winter sow dozens of little tiny pots of stuff in big, but shallow almost-clear plastic storage tubs. I read about it on a blog site and it sounds just so uncomplicated I can't not try it. Now I just have to decide which of the many seeds to select for this little project. And then I'm not sure what I'll do with it when it matures since I have such a small yard. I think I'm going to tackle my sister's 20 acres, or at least a little corner of it.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Bush

Originally Posted by BarefootGardener View Post:
Say, my greenhouse stays above 40 degrees at night, anybody have an opinion of whether it's safe to go ahead and pot up my plants and care for them there until April or so?

Today--can anybody tell I'm feeling better FINALLY--I jugged up potting mix and watered it so I can winter sow some seeds tomorrow or the next day. I have such a small yard. I think I'm going to tackle my sister's 20 acres, or at least a little corner of it.
Should be OK to pot up and hold in your greenhouse. My makeshift greenhouse doesn't get below 40 with a small floor heater in it. I've been potting up a bunch of seeds and placing them under lights in mine. Also some tomato and strawberry plants.

I've been fighting a cold but got outside today. Mowed the yard and then planted carrot seeds in a kiddie sandbox. Left it open today but put the lid on for tonight because it's supposed to get near freezing again. Also prepped a raised bed (dug out grass and weeds) for popcorn. Tomorrow I'll fill in with fresh dirt and then cover it with black plastic for a week to get the soil temp up. I read that corn likes a warm bed.
Anyone know if 1 week under plastic would be long enough to kill weeds?

I was also thinking today that I wish my parents were still alive. They had a small 2 acres, but had a nice garden and calf pen. Since I'm retired I could work their garden for them (and have a nice place for mine) and raise calves for the freezer. Also could gain a lot of knowledge from them that I wasn't interested in earlier in life.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Forest

Cool

I bet you 2 can plant lettuce right now also.
They grow quick in that degree in full sundays.

Peas too. Parsnips.
Carrots

Let us know how you 2 make out ..

b
Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Flower Garden

I'm going to fill a plastic tub 20 gal. with dirt and give a go at lettuce mix, carrots, radishes, green onions, and maybe some other things. I think I'll cover the top with black weed cloth until I have true leaves. What do you guys think about that?

Oh, and Grumpy, I agree with you. After 25 years without my father I still find myself wanting to ask him about things.

Last edited by BarefootGardener; 02-17-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Flower Garden

Quote :
Anyone know if 1 week under plastic would be long enough to kill weeds?
As I recall, clear plastic is better about killing weeds because it give them enough light to germinate and grow and then get fried. I don't know how long it would take but I'm sure you can tell with clear plastic. And it will be just as good for raising temps, I'd think.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Bush

As I recall, clear plastic is better about killing weeds because it give them enough light to germinate and grow and then get fried. I don't know how long it would take but I'm sure you can tell with clear plastic. And it will be just as good for raising temps, I'd think.
Great, I have much more clear plastic than black anyway.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Flower Garden

Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Bush

I'm going to fill a plastic tub 20 gal. with dirt and give a go at lettuce mix, carrots, radishes, green onions, and maybe some other things.
I've collected some laundry hampers from the dollar stores. As soon as I can locate some hay I'm going to plant potatoes.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Forest

Smile

There you go gang. Thats all it takes . You'll definately love the lettuce.
Yep plastic over top too.. Or in our area we put a window on top if needed .
Or flexiglass to let the sun shine in.
Gofer.

Good luck

bali
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Flower Garden

Originally Posted by grumpy52 View Post:
I've collected some laundry hampers from the dollar stores. As soon as I can locate some hay I'm going to plant potatoes.
Do you use hay or straw?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 AM
Tree

I am excited for all of you, anxiously awaiting the coming of spring, and starting to see growth! This time of year, I begin to count down the remaining cool weeks that we have left before the humid hot weather rolls in.

My veggie garden did horribly this year. We had unseasonably warm temperatures up through December, so the tomotoes didn't set fruit. Then we had all that extremely cold weather. So I am left with a bunch of leggy thin staked tomato vines, but only one has a couple of small tomatoes! On most of them, all the branches are dead hanging, except the top few inches of the plant.

My attempt at growing lettuce didn't do much better. Due to lack of space, I planted several rows of lettuce in a 3 by 5 foot plastic sandbox (about 8 inches deep), but the leaves are still tiny. I must have planted it in October, but still not more than an inch or inch and a half tall! The only thing that I can think of is that with the sun so low this time of year, it didn't get enough direct sun. Perhaps they will still take off for me, who knows?

I learned my love of gardening from my father. He used to grow tomatoes over the top of our one story roof. As I child, I was in awe! Unfortunately, my dad died when I was sixteen. I have lived many more years of my life without than with him. But it is so interesting how when I am out working in the garden, how often my thoughts still go back to him. It looks like many of you do the same..... as our thoughts settle when we work, how important people of the past still fill our minds and hearts.

BFG, I am overjoyed to hear that you are doing better! I was getting quite concerned, and have been watching for your posts this week and was pleased to see that you didn't have to go back into the hospital! Take it easy, especially outdoors, ok?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Bush

Do you use hay or straw?
I plan on using hay. It is more readily available here than straw. The only straw I can think of is pine straw/needles and I think it would be too dense compared to hay, and holds moisture more.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by miamipanda View Post:
My attempt at growing lettuce didn't do much better. Due to lack of space, I planted several rows of lettuce in a 3 by 5 foot plastic sandbox (about 8 inches deep)
Sounds like the same sandbox that I'm using for my carrots. I'm growing the short 4" - 6" varieties so it should be ok.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Forest

Smile

I dont use the hay or staw , but have read you can grow potatoes in the hay its self.
How about radishes also .. They grow fast inthe cooler weather like lettuce does.
Good luck to you 2.

b
Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Flower

Send a message via MSN to Patricia531 Send a message via Yahoo to Patricia531
We have had beautiful Spring like weather all this week, but rain is suppose to start tomorrow and last a week. I spent this week trying to pull some weeds. It isn't easy with my leg stiff but I managed to get three beds done. I have about 50 var. of flower seeds that I had winter sowed in Jan. and they are ready for their own pots now so I worked on that today. I also potted up my flower seeds that need 70 and above to germinate and put those in the larger greenhouse. I definitely have Spring fever.

I have several brugs. that have been under the patio cover all winter that now have buds on them and several in the greenhouse that have either bloomed or are getting ready to bloom. Here is a brug. that I got in a local plant trade. The tag said I was trialing it for Ludger ( Germany ) and that it was a double orange. As you can see it isn't orange and Ludger doesn't remember what cross it is. I am sure the color will darken up some after it has been planted out and our night temps. warm up.

Last edited by Patricia531; 03-02-2010 at 05:03 PM..
-->