Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Georgia

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Flowering Shrub

Georgia Plant Swap- This Spring

Hello!! I am in the midst of arranging a plant swap for us here in Southern Georgia. It is in the very early stages so I am encouraging feedback from all that might want to attend. It will be held in Savannah or Statesboro in mid to late spring. this should give us all a little time to start some extra plants etc... if you are interested in attending, please let me know. This is the first plant swap I have ever arranged.. so .. the more the merrier. :P

Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Esteemed Nut

Congrats for taking this on. I know that it will be huge success. The more you give, the more you get and that is never so true as at a plant swap.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Bush

o yes i am in thank u
Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Flowering Shrub

YAY! I am excited about this.. i really am.. need to make up some sort of gameplan and go from there.. pooh, any particular month or time that you can think of being best?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Esteemed Nut

Think about when you need to start weeding volunteers and potting them up and when things in your pots are ready to go into the garden.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Flowering Shrub

cool.. hey, can you tell me how the actual swapping is supposed to happen? I guess what I am asking is how do you make sure that plants are fairly divided.. I don't want people fighting over plants. LOL
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Esteemed Nut

At the swap we had here we communicated before hand by putting out a list of what we thought we would bring and what we had in our yards if any one was interested we would dig it up and what we were looking for. 2 years ago I dug up some 4 nerve daisies and blackfoot daisies for someone because I read he was looking for them. I have them all over growing wild. Many swaps were already made before we got there. I found that people were not always interested in even steven. Usually I want to give more than I get. I brought what I had extra of and did not need,and so did they. The people in our swap were pretty loose about it. and very polite in how we traded. the trading happened in stages. we did the first trading, always leaving some for others, timid first dip of our toes in the pool of plants. I had a BUNCH of the pedilanthus and people were only taking 2- 5 stems and I would say take more for a good display and people were into making sure every one who wanted some got it. then as the swap continued, more was swapped. I was careful to make sure that the owner was there so I could talk it through. Usually people were not needing a 2 way swap. It all seemed to work out in this loose manner. We had a potluck with some door prizes that people brought ( i won a prize but I didn't want it). They brought old unwanted pots and recycled plastic pots. At the end it was a bit of a free for all because some people didn't want to take any of what they brought home. People were foisting whole buckets of crocosmias and irises. That same day there was another swap going on and the people had to arrive at a certain time and everything had to be labelled and the woman priced your plants with her perceived value then gave you a value in tickets for all your plants and then you got to spend your tickets on the carefully labeled and priced plants. WHAT A HEAD ACHE!!!!!! No bargaining or humanity here. I liked our loose manner better. I think that fairness is in the minds of the swappers, and mostly people are polite naturally, or they are around Austin. I would guess there were about 10- 15 people at this swap. One woman had some plants taken that she was unhappy about because she didn't remember talking to someone about them. I took two agave but Texbeyer wanted to get rid of them all by the end of the day so I ended up taking them off his hands. I think the danger of hurt feelings comes from the air that everyone is loose and giving and then people let their guard down and the one person who is a little more tight about how she wants to go about trading gets her feelings hurt when some of the looseness spills over. She had a sign on her table too warning people to talk to her. The socializing gets a little confusing. One doesn't always knows who belongs to which flowers.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

For many of the swaps I have participated in, people keep plants they are offering to trade on top of picnic tables and plants they have received (or are not available for trade - maybe committed to a private trade) under the table on the floor. Some gardeners are picky/stingy about what they will trade and others are happy to share whatever for whatever (much like you see here in the Plant and Exchange forum). In many cases, it's just a matter of first come, first serve.

Congrats on organizing your swap. I know you are going to have fun with it.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Blossom

Send a message via MSN to walkbyfaith79

I am there!

Looking forward to it and figuring out all the details. Going to be soooooo fun
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Flowering Shrub

Thanks Mara.. it's very helpful info.. I think more than anything it will be trial by error for the first one. I can't wait to start planning. LOL.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Flowering Shrub

Plantswap.. thanks so much for the tips! I am really looking forward to the whole process starting with the planning.. and I hope to meet other plant lovers close to home. I will let ya'll know how everything goes.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Flowering Shrub

anyone else from GA interested in getting involoved?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Esteemed Nut

You might go down membership list and send PM tp those in the area. Many people might be interested that aren't hugely active in the site. Also you might announce it on that other Plant site.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Flowering Shrub

thanks Mara.. that's a wonderful idea!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

I'd also recommend adding a notice to the PS Calendar (see link @ top of page) if you haven't already. It will show on the home page for 3 months prior to the event.