Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Blossom

What is blooming in your garden?

Hi everybody! I have not posted for a while (health and work), hope everybody is well.
It has been a rough time in Tampa bay. We have not had rain for probably 3 months till couple days ago. It was a blessing to get it after a very dry spring. Want to share with you couple pictures and hope you jump in and show yours.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Very pretty ones... Too bad about the drought. No rains here either.... I guess the whole planet is suffering either from lack of or too much rain !
Don't know much about your climate, but it's interesting after all those "exotics" like adeniums and other caudex-plants, and now roses and daylilies.
Which are plants that kinda need it cold in winter.
Anyway cool blooms!
I'd just suggest making sure the camera focuses on the flowers and not what's behind. Some of your pictures come out a bit blurry. Same thing happens to me. When I take a pic of a flower sometimes I have to take it 4-5 times till the camera focuses on the flower.
It may seem it's ok when you look at the pic on the small screen a digital camera has, but one on the computer and on real size, it's different !
CALIN
Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Blossom

Calinromania thank you!
Florida has a hot climate, but we do have some freeze in winter . This winter we had -1C and in summer we might have around 40C . I used to live in Ukraine, so I think you have a similar climate.
Florida has sandy soil, so it does not hold water very well. We need constantly amend soil and if we do not have rain for a long time, the soil is very dry and it is hard on plants . I have to water every day.
Calinromania, I am not a very good photographer and most of the time I am in a hurry, so do not have time to take pictures 4-5 times, but I will take into consideration your advise , thank you.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Great blooms! Lots of nice color and a great variety. Can you tell me what the first 3 pics are? That second one looks like a tuberous begonia by the leaves but the bloom looks like my fushia begonia. Its very interesting.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Blossom

RR Thank you!
First: Stokes' Aster
Second:Begonia, but it is cane begonia.
Third:Mussaenda philippica

But the 4th picture is the oleander, but it is double and very fragrant. I just love it
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Wow. I'd love to have just one winter with just -1 C. But 40 C in summer... 30-35 is already too much. ANd I know what it's like to water on a daily basis. Well... I don't cause I do it maybe 2-3 times a week and not the whole garden... only what I see it's starting to suffer
Really...
When in Taiwan, they had really mild winters (not even heaters - central heating in their apartments) and they were always complaining how cold it could get. I always said, come visit me in Romania in January.
I am sure there are much colder places with people living in. Can't imagine what it's like to have this gardening hobby in Zone 3.
With the pictures... well, just take it easy, make sure the camera is set for close-ups (my camera shows me a small green flower on the screen), get close to the flower and if you press half-way down slowly and then all the way... the pic should be ok. SOmetimes I am so frustrated cause I can see the camera is focusing on anything else BUT the flower I want. Very stubborn camera.
I know it takes time, patience but worth it!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Vegetable Garden

Beautiful mocropot!! I love your mussaenda! How did this one do during the last winter?
No rain for me, you at least got a few days ago, but here in O-town the forecast is for a mere 10% (and obviously YOU got those ) .... my water bill is hitting the roof!

again, beautiful flowers! keep posting more

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Blossom

Calinromania, I know what you fell in January. Funny that you mentioned how people complain in mild winters. You know if we have below 60F we complain also and 50F I am wearing the coat form Ukraine LOL I can tell you about what I feel moister more you feel cold. Your climate probably does not have too much humidity if I am not mistaken, well here in the summer time we might have 100%-110% humidity and it is humid in winter also, so the cold gets into your skin and all body that is why it feels this way.
With the pictures I will try, thank you for the advice.

GT Thank you! I know what you mean about rain. Yesterday and before yesterday ALL areas around me got a very good rain, but not me. I am on a diet in order to pay my water bill LOL LOL
Last winter mussaenda was in a pot, so it was protected. This coming winter I do not know what I will do, I might just trip to the ground and mulch, will see.
-->